CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
usc1
ReadR00ster
Cock Kool-Aid
rosstheboss
Order 66
803scdantes
**USC vs. Charleston (4054)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2219)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (843)
US Air nsfw tweet (688)
I like how Frank sou (604)
Ahh...The Masters (464)
boiled peanuts (463)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (427)
Tax day freebies (424)
The case for Clowney at #
Hillsborough
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Auburn Hires Pearl
2015 - Auden Tate
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
GTA V online
A'ja Wilson
Aggie game coming in from

Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #61
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

CockyCash: 500
RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit
Default Re: New rivalry proposal; "Clash of the Crescent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Can't catch it in Virginia but please let us out of towners know what is said.
Here is a link to the story/video: http://www.wistv.com/story/24086856/...eed-a-nickname
Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #62
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Unless something has changed since the first time you mentioned this, should the name be, "The Clash for the Crescent"?

EDIT: I see the title of the thread is the only thing that's wrong.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #63
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Awesome! Let me know what you hear back.

There will be a story tonight at 6 o'clock on WIS about improving the rivalry, and this idea is being mentioned. Everyone should tune in if you can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
I actually called into discuss this with the guys on 107.5 on two different
occasions. I called in when several people were discussing a name for
the rivalry this past Tuesday right after Spurrier's press conference.
The first time I called was several weeks back, during the morning show.
They didn't seem interested in the idea at all. .... Tuesday, I told the
guys on the Lunch show what this was all about, and that it had actually
been presented to the school. As I started to tell them the details,
Brent Johnson cut me off and said they were out of time, and said not
to be discouraged if the school didn't take it seriously ?!?!?!?!

I'm going to attempt it again, and hope to get some guys on there
to listen to the idea and see if they can present it to the proper people
at the School.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #64
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Unless something has changed since the first time you mentioned this, should the name be, "The Clash for the Crescent"?

EDIT: I see the title of the thread is the only thing that's wrong.
You are correct. As far as I'm concerned the two universities would likely determine the official name if this were to happen. The facebook page I run does go by "Clash for the Crescent" however, and that is the name that seems most favored (although there are about a dozen that some people prefer to others). The main premise is simply the trophy idea, but a lot of people get caught up on the name & think the whole idea is all about naming the Clemson/Carolina rivalry game. Main thing is, the Hardee's trophy isn't exactly what our rivalry deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post

at the School.

I do remember hearing someone call in and discuss the idea a while back when I was driving home, wondering if it was you! I'll be hoping to catch ya next time you call in about it. The radio guys might hear a brief summary of the idea, and think of it as a forced tradition or something, yet they would fail to argue the Hardee's trophy as the superior alternative. I wish when USC's official athletic facebook page messaged me a while back letting me know both universities were aware of the idea, that they would have been a little less vague. I think considering Spurrier's recent comments about not knowing what our rivalry went by, if he heard the idea I feel like he'd be all about it because he knows it's something the players would take pride in. Anybody got Steve's cell?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #65
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

The Grits Bowl!!! j/k!

Where do you sign the petition for the suggested nickname?

Also, what benefit is there of calling the trophy, The Hardee's Trophy? A sponsorship deal?

Just signed the petition. only 301 more for 5K.

Last edited by Travelin; 11-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #66
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
The Grits Bowl!!! j/k!

Where do you sign the petition for the suggested nickname?

Also, what benefit is there of calling the trophy, The Hardee's Trophy? A sponsorship deal?

Just signed the petition. only 301 more for 5K.

A sponsorship deal is all I can think of, although I don't really see the benefit of sponsoring a trophy that most people know nothing about.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #67
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I still like the premise, but I'm not sure this is the best fit, Ryan. It feels like it would be forced. Yes, if the game ever gets a name, it will be a little forced anyway, but something that ties directly to the history of the game or schools would be a better fit, I think. Having said that, I have no idea what that could be, but it's just a thought.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #68
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

signed.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #69
ClintonGamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3200
ClintonGamecock has hatched from the shell

Signed.
ClintonGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #70
tdevildog1986
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1375
tdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his comb

BUMP X4 (Me, mom, 2 Bros.)
tdevildog1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #71
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Clash of the Crescent sounds like an art school project.....you can't be serious.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #72
tdevildog1986
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1375
tdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his comb

Why wouldn't he be serious ? It's a good idea. Elaborate on why you think this is a poor idea. Please enlighten.
tdevildog1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #73
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:

at the School.
Who did you send it to? Try Steve Fink. I had an issue in the Scholarship Lounge with some of the service. Emailed complaint to all of the assistant AD's. Received an email from Steve Fink about 10 minutes later saying he would see it was addressed. Didn't really think about it any more but got a call a week later from Tanner and Patrick McFarland saying they had just gotten out of a meeting with Seawell's and the issue had been addressed
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #74
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Clash of the Crescent sounds like an art school project.....you can't be serious.....
... you mean that's not what this is?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #75
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevildog1986 View Post
Why wouldn't he be serious ? It's a good idea. Elaborate on why you think this is a poor idea. Please enlighten.
If all you knew about it was the title, would you think it was related to a football game....Clash of the Crescent. What would you think the Iron Bowl was related to.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #76
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

I still just think Big Saturday works best for me. All this other stuff is forced, big Saturday is a tie to our history with this rivalry. The thing on our flag isn't evena crescent, that in itself is enough as a South Carolinian in me to nix "clash of the crescent" let's at least get our own history correct

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #77
Who
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 909259
Who is sharpening his clawsWho is sharpening his clawsWho is sharpening his clawsWho is sharpening his claws

This sounds like the kind of thing ESPN would eat up.. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #78
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Been out of touch with this thread for a while. I just read through some
of the responses and my first thought of a response is:

I can't believe some of the negative comments made here. !?!?
This is the first REAL attempt to get away from the trophy that NO ONE
IN THE COUNTRY knows anything about outside the state, and even most
of the state has no idea about where, how and when the current trophy
came in to being. The majority of those that do, see it as simply an
advertisement attached to a trinket. Another form of corporate sponsorship
attached to a game that means a lot to the state of SC, and to a growing
number of college football fans outside the state. There have been a lot of
other "IDEAS" about changing the trophy and making it something that
can start a tradition, and there has been even more internet "DECUSSION"
and "DEBATE" about what the trophy needs to be, but so far 99.99% of
the fans only want to talk about it, rather than starting or getting behind
a movement to actually change it !
I guess it's easier to find fault with someone who actually DOES attempt
to start a tradition that incorporates both schools and the State into a
meaningful trophy for THE GAME, rather than get off your asses and actually
start a movement to change it, or group with someone to change it.

This trophy draft / idea may fall flat in the effort to start a Carolina vs
Clemson game traditional trophy that includes the State of SC in it's
design rather than a national fast food chain's name and menu item, but
at least it's a legitimate effort by an individual or group of individuals to
change something right now that means little more than a small ad on
the turns outside the stadium. It's easier to call this an art class project
with no chance of success, than to actually get busy on putting forth
a design and idea somewhere other than an internet fansite and no
further than a paragraph in a thread.

The name can be changed, or the trophy design concept can be changed
but at least a movement has been presented at some level with a solid
concept of incorporating both schools and the state into a trophy that
has some connections with SC, and not a fast foot chain. I'm still hoping
this gains a lot more momentum, and turns out to be the foundation of
OR the actual future trophy for THE GAME, because if we wait for the fans
who want to belittle any real attempt to get a tradition started, to actually
be the ones to start the change themselves, then our Great, Great
Grandchildren will still be the small group of people inside the State
of SC who can't figure out what "The Hardees Trophy" actually stands for
in connection with one of the oldest and most storied rivalries in the country.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #79
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Been out of touch with this thread for a while. I just read through some
of the responses and my first thought of a response is:

I can't believe some of the negative comments made here. !?!?
This is the first REAL attempt to get away from the trophy that NO ONE
IN THE COUNTRY knows anything about outside the state, and even most
of the state has no idea about where, how and when the current trophy
came in to being. The majority of those that do, see it as simply an
advertisement attached to a trinket. Another form of corporate sponsorship
attached to a game that means a lot to the state of SC, and to a growing
number of college football fans outside the state. There have been a lot of
other "IDEAS" about changing the trophy and making it something that
can start a tradition, and there has been even more internet "DECUSSION"
and "DEBATE" about what the trophy needs to be, but so far 99.99% of
the fans only want to talk about it, rather than starting or getting behind
a movement to actually change it !
I guess it's easier to find fault with someone who actually DOES attempt
to start a tradition that incorporates both schools and the State into a
meaningful trophy for THE GAME, rather than get off your asses and actually
start a movement to change it, or group with someone to change it.

This trophy draft / idea may fall flat in the effort to start a Carolina vs
Clemson game traditional trophy that includes the State of SC in it's
design rather than a national fast food chain's name and menu item, but
at least it's a legitimate effort by an individual or group of individuals to
change something right now that means little more than a small ad on
the turns outside the stadium. It's easier to call this an art class project
with no chance of success, than to actually get busy on putting forth
a design and idea somewhere other than an internet fansite and no
further than a paragraph in a thread.

The name can be changed, or the trophy design concept can be changed
but at least a movement has been presented at some level with a solid
concept of incorporating both schools and the state into a trophy that
has some connections with SC, and not a fast foot chain. I'm still hoping
this gains a lot more momentum, and turns out to be the foundation of
OR the actual future trophy for THE GAME, because if we wait for the fans
who want to belittle any real attempt to get a tradition started, to actually
be the ones to start the change themselves, then our Great, Great
Grandchildren will still be the small group of people inside the State
of SC who can't figure out what "The Hardees Trophy" actually stands for
in connection with one of the oldest and most storied rivalries in the country.
What if you go the other angle, contact Hardees and say their trophy is a lame excuse for the prize of a rivalry going back this far and they should be embarrassed that it gets outclassed by youth bowling league trophies. If enough people do it, we may find they are willing to do this. Besides, if the schools have an agreement with Hardees maybe they can't get away from it so let's leverage what we have?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #80
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
As opposed to the Carl's Jr. Greasy thick burger trophy?