CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
acejrock
catdaddy66
Spurticus
BREAD (390)
South Carolina @ Aub (332)
Dress shirt help (264)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (234)
Starz Black Sails (229)
Best Child Acting Pe (113)
Unsung Hero (12)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Connor Mitch
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
BREAD
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2015 - Auden Tate

Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #81
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bruce Ellington to declare for NFL?

People complain that we don't do enough to keep our team intact like other schools do but when they want to leave people say "go for it" then midway through the season you hear people screaming "we need John Doe, he should have stayed" etc etc.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #82
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

You are talking about three camps
Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #83
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Bruce will be missed but we are pretty loaded with WR's especially when you take in the 3 we have committed. I fully expect Samuel and Davidson to play early.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
You are talking about three camps

1 camp that changes up when things don't go the way they want.

I think Bruce should stay, for his sake.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #85
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
1 camp that changes up when things don't go the way they want.

Bullshit
Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #86
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

He has a chance to get his masters degree for free...I wouldn't pass up that opportunity.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #87
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Bullshit

So the same people that say Ace should go in the draft last year weren't the same ones complaining about needing him this year?

Pshh
Old 12-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #88
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
He has a chance to get his masters degree for free...I wouldn't pass up that opportunity.
He has the chance to go to the draft healthy, and potentially make millions of dollars if everything works out perfect too.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #89
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Sanders graded higher because of his special teams performances which Ellington doesn't have. If he leaves with a 4th or lower grade it wouldn't shock me to see him go undrafted. He needs to do what's best for him but he's not the type of guy that crushes the team if he leaves early.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #90
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I just don't see how he could possibly receive a grade that would lead him to believe it was worth leaving school for. He didn't have a big year, he doesn't have the ST appeal that Ace did... I dunno. I love the kid and I'll support him either way. Expect the worst, hope for the best!
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #91
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

I'm sure that people look at his size, and his speed, and his stats and say "no way he can make it". Not saying they're wrong or cheering against him, but let's remember a few things.

1. Connor Shaw was his QB. Connor is a great QB in terms of leadership, and progressing the ball down the field. But he's no passer. Sorry, he's not. Numbers don't lie. He's accurate, yes, but he's not going to kill you through the air week in and week out.

2. Bruce Ellington is playing multiple positions. We haven't had a huge receiver to play wide-out since Alshon really. Bruce has had to play positions he's not going to play in the NFL if he goes, or when he goes.

3. Bruce Ellington is the same size (similar) and speed (40 time) to guys like: Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, and Randall Cobb.

While I'm not saying he's going to become one of those 3, it's not crazy to see him in the NFL playing the slot receiver position. He's tough, he's got good hands, he's not slow (he's just not blazing), and he's a hard worker...

Last edited by CarolinaGnB521; 12-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #92
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 7905802
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Look at Brady and P. Manning....... Bruce would thrive in that kind of environment!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #93
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
Look at Brady and P. Manning....... Bruce would thrive in that kind of environment!

Exactly. Wes Welker had Kingsbury, Symons, and the air raid offense. If Bruce was in that offense, he'd have the stats to go the NFL right now given he played slot the entire time.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #94
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I'm sure that people look at his size, and his speed, and his stats and say "no way he can make it". Not saying they're wrong or cheering against him, but let's remember a few things.

1. Connor Shaw was his QB. Connor is a great QB in terms of leadership, and progressing the ball down the field. But he's no passer. Sorry, he's not. Numbers don't lie. He's accurate, yes, but he's not going to kill you through the air week in and week out.

2. Bruce Ellington is playing multiple positions. We haven't had a huge receiver to play wide-out since Alshon really. Bruce has had to play positions he's not going to play in the NFL if he goes, or when he goes.

3. Bruce Ellington is the same size (similar) and speed (40 time) to guys like: Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, and Randall Cobb.

While I'm not saying he's going to become one of those 3, it's not crazy to see him in the NFL playing the slot receiver position. He's tough, he's got good hands, he's not slow (he's just not blazing), and he's a hard worker...
Also Bruce has shown he has the ability to contribute on special teams, especially as a returner. Too many forget how good he was on kickoffs. With the way they use the slot as a WR and RB some, he could have a great career on the right team.

That's the scary thing for later picks, their whole career and possible salary is based on who drafts him. Unlike early picks who are at least garuanteed a couple million dollars, these guys are hoping to get on the roster so they can get a big second contract.

I think if he goes to San Diego, Denver, Pittsburg type team he will be fine but if he goes to a Tennessee he may have his career ruined.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #95
uscfsu23
Blue Chip

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

I don't think as a fan we can fault anyone for chasing their dream and $$$$$. That is not to say some guys make mistakes leaving early. I certainly hope Bruce comes back next year, but I also hope whatever he doses works out best for him and his family.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #96
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Also Bruce has shown he has the ability to contribute on special teams, especially as a returner. Too many forget how good he was on kickoffs. With the way they use the slot as a WR and RB some, he could have a great career on the right team.

That's the scary thing for later picks, their whole career and possible salary is based on who drafts him. Unlike early picks who are at least garuanteed a couple million dollars, these guys are hoping to get on the roster so they can get a big second contract.

I think if he goes to San Diego, Denver, Pittsburg type team he will be fine but if he goes to a Tennessee he may have his career ruined.
yes i did forget, please enlighten me about how good he was.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #97
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudlyCockyInSeattle is crowing loudly

I think we sometimes forget that some guys may be declaring, not out of selfishness, but what's best for their family.

One of the things I admire about Spurrier is he's always has been about what is best for both his players and his coaches. That's the sign of a true competitor and a man that can win without it being detrimental to another.

I get the impression Lane Kiffin would tell a kid it is in his best interest to come back, just because it benefited him, rather than being good advice.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #98
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
yes i did forget, please enlighten me about how good he was.
I believe he's averaged below 23 yards a return for his career so in essence your better off with him taking a knee than trying to return a kick.

I think as fans we tend to over evaluate certain players abilities and potential.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #99
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
So the same people that say Ace should go in the draft last year weren't the same ones complaining about needing him this year?

Pshh
I (for one) said Ace should go last year and I never complained about needing him. (But I think they should always be allowed to go if that's what they want.)
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #100
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Even if he goes undrafted, there's still a chance he gets a training camp invite and catches on with a team. Look at Victor Cruz for example. There's a lot of incentive for him to test the waters now, rather than later.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote