CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
ReadR00ster
Latti
donbgamecock
GamecockStud
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
Bobby Boucher
usc1
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (6522)
BREAD (551)
Sindarius Thornwell (492)
Dress shirt help (383)
Best Child Acting Pe (319)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (217)
Well gameday just go (162)
South Carolina @ Aub (154)
Unsung Hero (108)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (81)
Gamecocks in the Majors/M
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
Burger Kings angry whoppe
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
boiled peanuts

Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jr. Interested in Duke OC Job?

So...who would we try and get to replace Steve Spurrier Jr.

You know, Lane Kiffin's probably looking for a job.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post

Lane Kiffin and the Vols should reunite. If not, keep him away from everything Gamecock.
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:

Derek Dooley or Bobby Petrino :)
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Let him get his feet wet at Duke for a few years, then bring him in when Daddy decides to hang it up.

Putting the carriage before the horse don't you think? He has not proved himself....S Car is an elite team and deserves to get a proven winner after SOS leaves.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
That would be a perfect position for Bubba. Make his own name and still be able to beat climpsen!
my thoughts exactly
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think would see Mangus take over as "Pass Game Coordinator"

Either Robbie Lyles or Everette Sands become "Recruiting Coordinator" .. This position is really over-valued by fans. We just need someone who is organized. Lyles pretty much would be the perfect fit since he does a lot of that stuff already but I could see it going to a young guy like Sands.

The new WR will be an ex-player familiar with the offense, IMO .. Perhaps Jacquez Green? He is coaching high school down in Florida I think.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #27
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think would see Mangus take over as "Pass Game Coordinator"

Either Robbie Lyles or Everette Sands become "Recruiting Coordinator" .. This position is really over-valued by fans. We just need someone who is organized. Lyles pretty much would be the perfect fit since he does a lot of that stuff already but I could see it going to a young guy like Sands.

The new WR will be an ex-player familiar with the offense, IMO .. Perhaps Jacquez Green? He is coaching high school down in Florida I think.
Ironically I was thinking of Reidel Anthony. He coaches at Trinity in Florida now..(HS)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

I feel as if the staff and administration values SE so much to the point to where they'd promote him and call in someone for his position. But he would still be head honcho over the line. Kinda of like Ellis and Whammy had it.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSpur12 View Post
I feel as if the staff and administration values SE so much to the point to where they'd promote him and call in someone for his position. But he would still be head honcho over the line. Kinda of like Ellis and Whammy had it.
I may be incorrect but the only reason there was confusion in the job titles of Ward and Johnson was due to contract obligations on previous jobs.

Ellis Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator (starting in 2008), and he wanted to Lorenzo Ward on his staff. Ward was at Arkansas in 2008 as the DB coach, and I'm pretty sure he could only be exempted from his contract if was given a promotion. So we offered him as "DC" and changed Ellis Johnson's title to "Head Coach of Defense".
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #30
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Scotty is still here.
I was about to say the same thing......

b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post
Derek Dooley or Bobby Petrino :)
Bobby Petrino's girlfriend....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #32
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 31943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I may be incorrect but the only reason there was confusion in the job titles of Ward and Johnson was due to contract obligations on previous jobs.

Ellis Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator (starting in 2008), and he wanted to Lorenzo Ward on his staff. Ward was at Arkansas in 2008 as the DB coach, and I'm pretty sure he could only be exempted from his contract if was given a promotion. So we offered him as "DC" and changed Ellis Johnson's title to "Head Coach of Defense".
It was my understanding that it had nothing at all to do with Arkansas, but with how many years the contract could be for. My understanding is that position coaches at USC could only get one-year deals that were extended for one year only at the end of each year. Ward as the DB coach (a position coach) at Arkansas had a multi-year deal, and USC wanted to try to at least give him an identical deal at USC.

However, Coordinators were allowed multi-year deals: Eric Wolford, who was hired in the same off-season, was given a multi-year deal due to him being the "Run Game Coordinator" as well as the OL position coach. So Spurrier and Johnson - who specifically hand-chose Ward to join his staff when he joined in '08, but had to wait a year - did a little title shell game where Ward was named the defensive "Coordinator", and Johnson was named the "Assistant Head Coach in Charge of Defense", which didn't jeopardize his own multi-year contract. And Ward was thus able to get his multi-year deal....

Anyways, despite how long Johnson has been a DC and even a HC during his career, Ward has actually had more experience with the 4-2-5 defense as a base defense, due to all his years on Frank Beamer's staff working alongside Bud Foster at Virginia Tech. Johnson utilized the 4-2-5 in nickle situations, but never as the primary base defense like Ward had done in the Big East....
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #33
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Spurrier Jr went to Duke? Was that while Spurrier was there?
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #34
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Spurrier Jr went to Duke? Was that while Spurrier was there?
No. Steve Spurrier Jr. went to Duke from 1991-1994. Spurrier was already at Florida (1990). Spurrier Jr. went to Florida for Grad school though.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #35
tdevildog1986
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1375
tdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his combtdevildog1986 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Let him get his feet wet at Duke for a few years, then bring him in when Daddy decides to hang it up.
This...
tdevildog1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
Kinda odd for him to put it out there in this manner. I am pretty sure his dad was involved with Cutcliff getting the job at Duke to begin with and you have to think that SOS and Cutcliff have each others number. Just seems weird to blurt it out.
Who knows what his motive was by saying this to the press, and it does seem a little odd days before the bowl game. Maybe he wants to let Cutcliff know he's serious, but a simple phone call or e-mail would have gotten the message across. Maybe he's letting the fans know ahead of the Bowl game that he won't be on our sideline next year...
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #37
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

Jethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudly

Might be a really good move for Jr. I do not expect Cutcliff to be at Duke Long. The Big Schools will come calling soon. Most people believe (as do I) he was the "man behind the curtain" at TN with Phat Phil during their highest success. He is showing his worth and I have said for many years that he's a great coach. Jr. gets in there for a year or two and boom Cutcliff to a major U and Jr. in as HBC Jr. at Duke and as alum. Dang the stars would be alighned lol
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #38
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
unfortunately I think the clock starts ticking on how long Steve stays if Jr leaves.

I don't know about that. Durhman isn't that far from Columbia, and Spurrier talks about liking that his family is all together. If he was interested in going to So. Cal. then maybe, but I don't think Duke is far enough away to change everything up for the Spurrier's.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

One thing for certain, SR will be intimately involved with what JR does. He'll want what he thinks is best for his son's career.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
One thing for certain, SR will be intimately involved with what JR does. He'll want what he thinks is best for his son's career.
Spurrier on Spurrier Jr.'s interest in Duke: "I think all assistant coaches have to be flexible and open-minded to make good decisions."
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote