CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
RGHoskins
ccured
sporkgod50
b381l
robgusc76
GoldenSpur7
NJGCfan
MountainCock
Spurrier_Superior_On
Mangus now coaching (1539)
Can Tennessee get to (1087)
2 Crazy things (661)
ESPN Article on HBC (656)
Chick Redefines the (636)
Spread vs. aTm (598)
Lindy's top 100 for (557)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (550)
The Bama series (456)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (454)
2001 vs Sandstorm
2015 - Davon Durant
2015 - Auden Tate
2016 - Issac Nauta
Mangus now coaching TEs
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why I think Tennessee's class of 33 is against the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
I would have to think that UT got some implicit nod of approval from an outside body - the SEC "and/or" NCAA. Their internal compliance and legal department can look at this until they're blue in the face and give Butch the go ahead, but in the real world, whether a bank, corporation, law firm or any other oraganization, it would be a huge risk and bordering on gross negliegence of your job duties to not vet something with an outside regulatory body, where an incorrect interpratation could be devastating to your organization.

Why on earth would UT risk essentially destroying their program for several years over signing an extra 10 kids? It makes no sense to take that risk, unless you know the outcome.

If they do happen to get in trouble over this, then heads will roll. It could have been easily avoided.
You would assume so, and maybe they did. I can't imagine why the NCAA would give them the nod to do that though, they could easily say the rule states 25 for a reason, the loophole doesn't exist, etc. Because they used ambiguous language, it can be interpreted however best serves the NCAA and SEC if they so choose.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I'll say this, if UT is allowed to do this, the Alabama/Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU crowd is going to go crazy. I will guarantee you Slive has been hearing it from all kinds of high level people around the league. If Slive sat on this without giving the information out to member schools, I think he may get fired. Look at all the money these schools raise each year to build their top notch football programs, only to allow UT to have a competitive advantage like this.....there are some hard nosed guys running these schools and their athletic departments and they aren't about to let this happen. They'll make the Toomer's Corner tree killing look like nursery school.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I have said it since he is hired, people will soon find out, Bi+ch is like datboy. He thinks he is smarter than he really is. He is a cheerleader coach.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #24
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

UTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot material

People are aware of back counting and UGA taking like 32 last year, right? We are absolutely safe at 29 this year which is what we expected to sign until only a month or so ago. Realistically we are looking at about 32/33 recruits. We may lose one or two and sign another. So even if we were penalized it would only be for going over 2-3 guys (still, 6-9 scholarships lost).
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #25
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVOLS View Post
People are aware of back counting and UGA taking like 32 last year, right? We are absolutely safe at 29 this year which is what we expected to sign until only a month or so ago. Realistically we are looking at about 32/33 recruits. We may lose one or two and sign another. So even if we were penalized it would only be for going over 2-3 guys (still, 6-9 scholarships lost).
There IS no going over. You can only officially sign 25, any over will not be accepted, so some guys are not going to get in, as long as the these recruits have been made aware of the situation, (will sign you if we have room or maybe take a grayshirt) than there is no issue. 33 commits is Rivals number, it doesn't really mean anything. What matters is what is said between the coaches and the recruits.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 AM   #26
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

UTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
There IS no going over. You can only officially sign 25, any over will not be accepted, so some guys are not going to get in, as long as the these recruits have been made aware of the situation, (will sign you if we have room or maybe take a grayshirt) than there is no issue. 33 commits is Rivals number, it doesn't really mean anything. What matters is what is said between the coaches and the recruits.
You can back-count your EE's from the previous year. We signed I think 21 last year so we saved four scholarships on the 85 limit. Then we had five early enrollees.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #27
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

Slive should be fired. I hated him from the start and continue to hate him. A half assed businessman could have done a better job than he has in terms of money and integrity. We need someone that isn't bound to 4 schools to take over the SEC.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #28
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsGarnet View Post
Slive should be fired. I hated him from the start and continue to hate him. A half assed businessman could have done a better job than he has in terms of money and integrity. We need someone that isn't bound to 4 schools to take over the SEC.
see post # 22
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #29
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Yeah this thread is just a bunch of whining b/c Tennessee is killing this recruiting cycle...

Case and point:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...lass/2014/id/8

Over the last three years the SEC has signed 18 classes of over 25 recruits. South Carolina was one of those times in 2011 when we signed 32 recruits.

I see no issue with early enrollment and other special circumstances allowing more than 25 signings. It's not like other conferences aren't also doing it. As long as you abide by the 85 not too much else should matter.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #30
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
Yeah this thread is just a bunch of whining b/c Tennessee is killing this recruiting cycle...

Case and point:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...lass/2014/id/8

Over the last three years the SEC has signed 18 classes of over 25 recruits. South Carolina was one of those times in 2011 when we signed 32 recruits.

I see no issue with early enrollment and other special circumstances allowing more than 25 signings. It's not like other conferences aren't also doing it. As long as you abide by the 85 not too much else should matter.
do you know the effective date of the 25 limit.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #31
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Also in 2013 these are the schools that signed over 25 recruits:

Florida 29
Michigan 27
LSU 26
Ole Miss 27
Texas A&M 31
Georgia 33
Vanderbilt 26
West Virginia 28
California 26
Pittsburgh 27
Fresno State 29
BYU 30
Memphis 29
Western Kentucky 32
Navy 28
Air Force 34
Army 39

Apparently there are a lot of "loopholes"
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #32
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
do you know the effective date of the 25 limit.
The Rule
quote:
13.9.1 Letter of Intent Limitation. Each SEC member institution is limited to signing 25 football prospective student-athletes to a National Letter of Intent, Conference financial aid agreement and/or institutional offer of athletics financial aid from December 1 through May 31st of each year. [Adopted 5/29/09; effective immediately; revised 6/3/11; effective August 1, 2011]

I will say that I'm not sure what was revised
Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #33
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

FSU now has 28 with Featherston committing today. Anyone want to start a thread on that?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #34
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

FSU was mentioned in the original post, and that is 7 less than TNs target.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #35
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

32 is our likely target. Jones said e would take 35 of he could. We might not get Bryant in the end, we lost Lambert, and Adoree Jackson is a huge long shot. Realistically Scott is probably going to be the only guy we add and it isn't a guarantee we get him. We have 33 right now. 14 of them enroll within the next two weeks. One of those other guys is a grey shirt. We can also back-count five from the '13 class. Truly, the only concern would be IF we actually took 35 and that is highly unlikely.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #36
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVOLS View Post
32 is our likely target. Jones said e would take 35 of he could. We might not get Bryant in the end, we lost Lambert, and Adoree Jackson is a huge long shot. Realistically Scott is probably going to be the only guy we add and it isn't a guarantee we get him. We have 33 right now. 14 of them enroll within the next two weeks. One of those other guys is a grey shirt. We can also back-count five from the '13 class. Truly, the only concern would be IF we actually took 35 and that is highly unlikely.
This isn't counting back EE's to the last class, this is counting back financial aid agreements per Dec. 1st. Who knows for sure, if its exploiting a loophole then it could mean trouble.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #37
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Per the story that was linked earlier, the only reason they can "count back" is because the timing of institutional aid changed and the NCAA/SEC's rule referenced the former dates. Institutional aid is just one of the three clauses used in their statement, and the dates referenced pointed to that one clause since the NLOI signing period doesn't even start Dec. 1st.

I don't see anything being unfair if the rule was designed to allow a maximum of 25 signees and virtually everyone else but one school is abiding by that.
I don't know if they are going to anything do about it because it is true that you could compare these "aid agreements" to a NLI, but you could also make the argument that are they are closer to a "gray shirt offer." Personally, it think the signing limits are just pointless because their is always going to be some way around it. If they really were serious about stopping over-signing they would stop allowing what we are doing and make sure every team meets their SCHOLARSHIP limits by the end of NSD and not let them wait until August and then you don't even need class limits.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #38
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

I've read a few things since this thread started. I am no expert on recruiting, but the only way this works for them is a combination of players not qualifying, gray shirting players, counting back a maximum of 5 players. After these adjustments, their class can be no more than 25 and their max schollies is 85.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #39
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I've read a few things since this thread started. I am no expert on recruiting, but the only way this works for them is a combination of players not qualifying, gray shirting players, counting back a maximum of 5 players. After these adjustments, their class can be no more than 25 and their max schollies is 85.
And assume the NCAA and SEC don't mind him doing all the juggling.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #40
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

We can sign 25 + 5 back counters from our 14 EE's legally.

I honestly think we are just going to GS a couple other guys and one guy is going to blue shirt.

I don't think the loop hole really exists. We will finish with around 33 on our "commitment list" but only 30 will actually sign on signing day.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote