CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
Spurticus
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
b381l
spareparts
uscgamecocks88
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8482)
Sindarius Thornwell (923)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (610)
Best Child Acting Pe (573)
Well gameday just go (465)
Happy Birthday, Coac (415)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (378)
Your most famous twi (279)
South Carolina @ Aub (243)
Unsung Hero (233)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Burger Kings angry whoppe
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
Connor Mitch
Name a Gamecock
Hope Springs Eternal
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #181
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Bo Baldwin

It wouldn't hurt us to offer him a similar preferred walk on spot. He's a big kid, and apparently very athletic. With his size, and likely still growing, he may be able to play TE or DE.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #182
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

His boat has sailed, end up at a smaller school, IMO
Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #183
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
His boat has sailed, end up at a smaller school, IMO
he might go to Clemson. He really wanted to hear from LSU and UGA but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

I have to agree with you though, he will probably be at a small school. I hope he does so he can play. He is a gamer. Just too many injuries and not enough upside for the coaches, I suppose.

Best of luck bo
Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #184
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
he might go to Clemson.
With Watson coming in, he wouldn't see the field in 5 years.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #185
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
he might go to Clemson. He really wanted to hear from LSU and UGA but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

I have to agree with you though, he will probably be at a small school. I hope he does so he can play. He is a gamer. Just too many injuries and not enough upside for the coaches, I suppose.

Best of luck bo
We tried to make it happen and he wanted to wait and see if he got some better offers. You snooze you lose.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #186
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
With Watson coming in, he wouldn't see the field in 5 years.
I'm aware, but Bo could be a preferred walk-on and there is some belief that he could eventually earn that scholly. It's more of a matter of does Bo want to go to Clemson and essentially work his a$$ off for a free education and never see the field, or go to a small school and get to play. I really wouldn't be shocked if he went to Clemson

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
We tried to make it happen and he wanted to wait and see if he got some better offers. You snooze you lose.
How is a grayshirt offer a "you snooze, you lose" situation? From what I have heard, on Bo's side, it was never a matter of losing his spot. He never really had a spot. He had a grayshirt offer. That wasn't too appealing at the end of the day
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #187
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm aware, but Bo could be a preferred walk-on and there is some belief that he could eventually earn that scholly. It's more of a matter of does Bo want to go to Clemson and essentially work his a$$ off for a free education and never see the field, or go to a small school and get to play. I really wouldn't be shocked if he went to Clemson

How is a grayshirt offer a "you snooze, you lose" situation? From what I have heard, on Bo's side, it was never a matter of losing his spot. He never really had a spot. He had a grayshirt offer. That wasn't too appealing at the end of the day
I think he meant if Bo had accepted the grayshirt offer from us, he would have come to Carolina and been part of the 2015 class.....with a chance to play in a year or so. But he gambled by waiting for a 2014 D-1 offer that didn't come. Spurrier didn't want to wait along with him, so he took the kid from Florida. Plus the circumstances have changed since Bo was offered the grayshirt.....that's when the class was only going to be 15-16. Now the class size has been expanded to 21-22. If the class size had stayed at 15-16, Spurrier would never have offered the QB from Florida....didn't have the room.

At this point, I think Bo's best opportunity to play D-1 football is to go to somewhere like Coastal Carolina, or JUCO.....start and play well for a year or so and the D-1 offers would come. Then he could transfer.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #188
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 58943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

If I was Baldwin, and USC was interested enough in me that they'd offer a grayshirt when the numbers weren't good enough, then it would probably hurt my feelings that USC didn't take the next step and offer me a scholarship once the numbers changed to where they were good enough. Instead they offered it to someone else they didn't recruit as long apparently.

I don't know if Baldwin and his camp told USC that he was done with them as far as interest goes, or if he just held off accepting the grayshirt, which that isn't like giving a commitment or anything: you can accept a grayshirt even AFTER NSD, I understand. I don't know what happened behind the scenes that had USC turn their interest from Baldwin to Scarnecchia, but if it's simply a case of where the coaches think Scarnecchia shows more promise, then it's a turn for the better for USC, and a bad break I guess for Baldwin.

As long as he can join a Div. 1 program with a chance for a future scholarship then it can turn out for the best for him in the long run too....
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #189
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
If I was Baldwin, and USC was interested enough in me that they'd offer a grayshirt when the numbers weren't good enough, then it would probably hurt my feelings that USC didn't take the next step and offer me a scholarship once the numbers changed to where they were good enough. Instead they offered it to someone else they didn't recruit as long apparently.

I don't know if Baldwin and his camp told USC that he was done with them as far as interest goes, or if he just held off accepting the grayshirt, which that isn't like giving a commitment or anything: you can accept a grayshirt even AFTER NSD, I understand. I don't know what happened behind the scenes that had USC turn their interest from Baldwin to Scarnecchia, but if it's simply a case of where the coaches think Scarnecchia shows more promise, then it's a turn for the better for USC, and a bad break I guess for Baldwin.

As long as he can join a Div. 1 program with a chance for a future scholarship then it can turn out for the best for him in the long run too....
I think we pretty much agree. Bo just has to realize he's not going to get any D-1 offers because of his past injuries. So he needs to be able to prove himself on a lower level, and if he can do that, the offers will come. But going to Clemson as a preferred walk-on is a dead end.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #190
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

What is the NCAA definition of preferred walk on?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #191
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
What is the NCAA definition of preferred walk on?
They guarantee you a spot on the team but not a scholly.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #192
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Would never see the field at USC
Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 AM   #193
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

As I understand it,

Carolina offered a "Gray Shirt", which means a year delay but also a scholarship in the 2015 Class.

Clemson offered him a "Preferred Walk On" which basically says come and walk on with the 2014 class, pay his own way and they might give him scholarship later.

How is that considered to be a better deal?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #194
sunbeam
Walk On

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

This is my thinking: I think Thompson is starting next year. Then I think Nosovitch starts for two years.

This has nothing to do with how good a passer anyone is. It is entirely due to being able to run and make plays with your legs.

Time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mitch or Scarnecchia is never the starter here.

We'll see. This year was one of the very best situations I have ever seen at USC for talent and depth on the OL. And other than Central Florida (with some small de's) I haven't seen us blow people off the ball consistently. And the Central Florida game was only for a half.

So far this year, if we don't have the qb running, we don't have much of a run game. I expect Thompson to make more throws than Shaw did to loosen things up, though I also expect more ints from him. I think he will be effective though, and he does have some running ability.

But we have recruited very well on the OL the past few seasons by our standards. I just don't think we have a consistent supply of the kind of OL you need to overpower opponents with a pro set coming out of this state. And while you can recruit out of state, it is super hard in my opinion to recruit elite linemen out of other states. Everybody wants them, and knows how important they are. Then there is the fact that if you are recruiting an elite lineman out of Atlanta say, they are also being recruited by Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Alabama, the Mississippi's, etc. Then the national schools may also recruit them: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Stanford, Oregon, the list goes on.

So I don't think we have 1) an adequate supply of offensive linemen from South Carolina to run a Fun 'n Gun/Pro set scheme, and 2) it probably isn't going to happen that we consistently out-recruit all the other players for the kind of OL that make schemes like this work.

Take Stanford. That school seems like it is sending a top ten choice OL to the NFL every year now. Alabama is the same way. If you aren't doing this, I don't think you are going to make much headway against the Oregons of the world.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that Malzahn is going to cause some heartburn at Alabama with his record against them the next few years. That is a very good recruiting staff he has. As the talent differential closes, Coach-Fu is going to make a bigger difference. And I think Malzahn has more of it.

If you want, we can discuss guys like Petrino. He has produced results. He is in Spurrier's league as a play caller, but I also think he uses better schemes and the talent he has better than Spurrier does. I'm pretty sure if he called our plays, opposing teams would have nightmares about our tight ends. Also I've never seen his qb's look as confused as a lot of ours did before we started the read option. The same with his wide receivers.

From what I have read Petrino was influenced by Spurrier's Florida offenses, and there are some similarities. Why he seems to be able to get kids to pick up the same sorts of things quicker is a mystery to me.

Long and short, I think it is essential for this program to have a qb that can bring the X-factor, as they used to call it. I don't think we have the capability to do something like play for a national championship without it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I would totally have given the scholarship Scarnecchia got to Baldwin. That kid is a horse. At worst I think he is a kid that could do Colin Klein/Blake Bell things for you. (obviously I'm talking about the "Bell Dozer") At best he might turn into a very effective qb passingwise. But my take on him is he can duplicate the running style of Garcia (which was very effective for us), and do it better.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #195
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

One big Grayshirt offer vs no other bigtime program offers. You snooze you lose. He should have jumped on it and he could have been a USC commit.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #196
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCock View Post
As I understand it,

Carolina offered a "Gray Shirt", which means a year delay but also a scholarship in the 2015 Class.

Clemson offered him a "Preferred Walk On" which basically says come and walk on with the 2014 class, pay his own way and they might give him scholarship later.

How is that considered to be a better deal?
Exactly. Not even close.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #197
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

do we know with a certainty that our coaches pulled his grayshirt offer....
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #198
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

sunbeam, do you know that sos is probably going back to an offense similar to what he ran at florida....dylan doesn't have the legs to match connor's running skill....so mitch is more likely to be the starter in 2015....
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #199
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 219460
elcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
sunbeam, do you know that sos is probably going back to an offense similar to what he ran at florida....dylan doesn't have the legs to match connor's running skill....so mitch is more likely to be the starter in 2015....
SOS will do whatever wins games & in 3 years he has won 33 running the zone read. Thompson can run the zone read ...ask the taters. Changing to the "fun & gun" isn't happening. The most important thing, IMO, is we have OL depth & experience. Throw that in the garbage if you change the scheme (believe it or not, the big boys have to learn assignments in order for the zone read to work....they would have to start from scratch if the offense changed).

Mitch is a stud, but Noso may be a gamer....we shall see who the QB will be in 2015.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #200
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

He will never play at Clemson or USC
Closed Thread