CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4377)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2485)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (900)
US Air nsfw tweet (732)
I like how Frank sou (665)
boiled peanuts (503)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (463)
Tax day freebies (454)
Sweet Corn!!! (188)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 01-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb
Default Rose Bowl Allure...

Happy New Years Guys,

Maybe someone could shed some light on the "Grandaddy Of Them All". I understand the Rose Bowl has been around forever but, why is it annually such a media love fest?

I mean to me, an East Coast SEC guy, it's played in a run down crappy looking stadium in the suburbs of Los Angeles. If someone says that College Football is that big out there I would say no way. People out there are on Lakers and Kobe suicide watch.

I just don't get it. The only comparison I can even put into terms is, The Masters. But, differently in that the Masters is played on one of the most beautiful, toughest venues in the world.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
Hell I think we could beat Sparty and I would really love to see us go against Stanford.

Edit: But, the SEC doesn't have any bowl tie-ins to this so it could be the main reason I don't look at it the way some do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rose Bowl Allure...

Just has to do with ESPN having the rights to this game so bother overhype it. It use to be a big deal because it was a clash between styles and geographic areas, before it was common place to see a Midwest team play a west coast team. That is also why the so cal and ND game was so big, along with both winning often.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

That makes sense.

Listening to ESPN hype it up it's like they are trying to describe it similarly to the way Jim Nantz always describes Augusta, with class, pageantry, and mystique.

The way I interpret their description of the Rose Bowl, it's like a drunk singing the worst karaoke I've ever heard followed up by an encore performance from Rob Ford, the Crack Smoking Mayor.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

This has a lot to do with the history of the game. Long ago the Big10 and Pac10 were the giants of college football. A match up of the champions of those leagues was often played knowing the winner would very much be in line for the national title. According to wikipedia (i know) it is the oldest bowl game played first in 1902, so that would explain the grandaddy comments.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
This has a lot to do with the history of the game. Long ago the Big10 and Pac10 were the giants of college football. A match up of the champions of those leagues was often played knowing the winner would very much be in line for the national title. According to wikipedia (i know) it is the oldest bowl game played first in 1902, so that would explain the grandaddy comments.
Thanks for the info. I knew it had been around since the turn of the century. I haven't looked to much into the playoff system but, in the foreseeable future, is it possible to see us play there outside of a Nat. championship?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

It is the most over hyped bowl of all now except maybe the orange bowl because at least the Rose does not get stuck with a overblown acc team.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt4Gov View Post
Thanks for the info. I knew it had been around since the turn of the century. I haven't looked to much into the playoff system but, in the foreseeable future, is it possible to see us play there outside of a Nat. championship?
Very unlikely. Rose bowl has made a deal to basically always have a Big 10 team and a PAC 12 team in the Rose Bowl. They usually take a Big 12 team before they take an east coast SEC team.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

It's the granddaddy of them all.

Gets the best ratings outside of the national title.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talons

It's the reason we can't have a real playoff
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Yea up here no one cares about CFB.
Except for this game.

Going home after our game a lot of places were packed for the Rose Bowl.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

of all the "bcs" bowls, the Rose is the best. Orange is crap these days, Fiesta is new and usually has some mid-major conference in it. Rose is the oldest, usually pits two even teams together and the games are good. Sugar is ok. Even as an east coaster I give props to the Rose bowl.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

MSU-Stanford is a fantastic game. I love the way both teams okay defense. Really aggressive and fast.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

I've been to two Rose Bowls as a neutral party when I was stationed in Southern California. I had a great time at both. There is a lot of pageantry...famed Rose Parade, celebrities and the like. As far as the coverage, it's all ESPN hype. They build the momentum for the games they have rights to.

Though they do traditionally put together some of the best matchups, at it's core it's just another football game in an underwhelming stadium. That said I would jump at the opportunity to go again and part of my front yard is sewn with sod I took from the field in 2006 ;)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

They have the best grass of any football stadium by far
Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 661
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Man, they're ripping up the sod, and replacing it before the NCG. Sucks. They did that for the AU/UO game, and it was very slick, people were sliding around and Chris Davis sprained his ankle on the opening kickoff.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
MSU-Stanford is a fantastic game. I love the way both teams okay defense. Really aggressive and fast.
I wish Ward would learn somethings from them, specifically about how to play discipline and stop the run. This is an entertaining game for sure.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Love seeing Michigan State get this victory.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 97950
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

We will be there next year
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I wish Ward would learn somethings from them, specifically about how to play discipline and stop the run. This is an entertaining game for sure.
I hope so too. Herbstreit kept making the comment that MSU's lb's weren't blitzing, but just attacking their running game. I think that is how we should have played vs Wisc.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #20
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I hope so too. Herbstreit kept making the comment that MSU's lb's weren't blitzing, but just attacking their running game. I think that is how we should have played vs Wisc.
That plus the way we avoid blocks rather than take them on and shrink the hole is not a sound plan. I don't know if they are teaching them to avoid contact but from seeing it happen so often, I'd assume they do teach it. Ward's philosophy scares me because he is all about the pro style, which is give up the big play to make the big play. I guess we will see if there are any changes next year.