CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
ReadR00ster
4gamecockfb
markp_vip
Acockolypse Now
Thenardier
Lalli25
sporkgod50
GapoGamecock51
OscarTheGrouch
Diamond DeSheilds, U (3405)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1333)
Women's bb - Deshiel (602)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
Hope Springs Eternal (468)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Byron the bunny...fe (328)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (242)
*Official 2014 NHL S (221)
How to cut the musta (149)
2015 - Davon Durant
Joeckel Transfering from
Jameis Winston's Accuser
how has more ESPN anounce
Larenz Bryant update?
Playstation 4
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Where will we be preseaso
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Chico McClatcher- 2015 At

Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Big-Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material
Default All elligible OL will return for 2014 season.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...cocks-football
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

CockyCash: 500
SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: All elligible OL will return for 2014 season.

2014 is going to be huge.

If this is true then I wouldn't be surprised if we are favored to win the East next year.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

That would be AMAZING!!!!!

Imagine the Offensive weapons next year ... Mike Davis with Wilds and Carson ... Adams and Anderson at TE, Roland, Bryd, Jones and hopefully Ellington at WR (throw in Whitehurst and a few others) ... all given time and space to show out behind what could be one of the best lines Carolina has put on a field in a LOOOOONNNNNNNG time.

We'll have a veteran, but new starter with great talent behind him challenging for the starter roll.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It appears to be getting better behind our 4 returning starters, here is why:

Clayton Stadnik/Cody Waldrop return. This is going to be a heated battle in the Spring. I think the loser probably gets a long look at the vacant RG spot.

Mike Matulis - should finally be healthy. It could be argued that he is our best lineman when healthy. Capable of playing either tackle spot.

Cody Gibson - should finally be healthy. He provides depth at RT.

DJ Park, Na'Ty Rodgers, Alan Knott - three extremely talented freshmen enter the rotation.

Mason Zandi - Year 3 in the program. Probably has grown physically as well as any lineman under Elliott. It'll be time for him to play.

Throw in Will Sport, Bryce King, Donell Stanley, and Malik Young.

That is a really talented group of lineman.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Brock Stadnik.

HOWEVER, I am very concerned about the starting group when it comes to running the football. They won't have Connor Shaw to pad their rushing statistics anymore.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem

Last edited by CoverTwo; 01-02-2014 at 03:44 PM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Unknit
4-Star

Male

Unknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

Clayton Stadnik/Cody Waldrop return. This is going to be a heated battle in the Spring. I think the loser probably gets a long look at the vacant RG spot.

Mike Matulis - should finally be healthy. It could be argued that he is our best lineman when healthy. Capable of playing either tackle spot.

DJ Park, Na'Ty Rodgers, Alan Knott - three extremely talented freshmen enter the rotation.

Mason Zandi - Year 3 in the program. Probably has grown physically as well as any lineman under Elliott. It'll be time for him to play.

HOWEVER, I am very concerned about the starting group when it comes to running the football. They won't have Connor Shaw to pad their rushing statistics anymore.
Yeah, I am worried about that too. They seem to be pretty good with the pass blocking, but the run blocking has been very inconsistent. However, I do remember that the few times we ran out of the I-formation this year they were making some big holes. I specifically remember running out of the I was how we got out of trouble against UCF in the second half.

When we run out of the shotgun I am so used to seeing the RB getting stuffed at the line or maybe getting 2 or 3 yards. Very frustrating.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Perfectly stated C2...If we can get the run blocking going..The sky is the limits...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I'm excited to finally see David Williams in action. He should be a dangerous addition to the RB rotation.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
uscjeremynca
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

I said the exact same thing in another thread. We are going to miss Connor Shaw in this offense. He got a lot of first downs and kept us out of 2nd and 3rd and long with his legs. Dylan's an effective QB but it's hard to measure the real impact Connor had on our running game and the effectiveness of our offense. He is going to be missed far more than people realize.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
2014 is going to be huge.

If this is true then I wouldn't be surprised if we are favored to win the East next year.
I would, with uga and Florida in shambles, they have missouri as the big guys now, and we would still be behind Tennessee somehow.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
92Pony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 399
92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I said the exact same thing in another thread. We are going to miss Connor Shaw in this offense. He got a lot of first downs and kept us out of 2nd and 3rd and long with his legs. Dylan's an effective QB but it's hard to measure the real impact Connor had on our running game and the effectiveness of our offense. He is going to be missed far more than people realize.

I'd love to see a stat of how many 1st downs Shaw picked up this year with his feet. Heck, a breakdown for the last three seasons would be interesting too.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

The run game coordinator is the OL coach, something seems funny about that if they can't run block.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
A-Cluckwork-Orange
Optimist

Male

A-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Pony View Post
I'd love to see a stat of how many 1st downs Shaw picked up this year with his feet. Heck, a breakdown for the last three seasons would be interesting too.
Same here. Ability to find the first down market is wht makes Connor so dangerous.
A-Cluckwork-Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'll hold my excitement a little on the Oline...Connor bailed them out a bunch this year...something Dylan won't physically be able to do.

I need to see our pass protection, especially from Robinson, improve.

I will say, I'd like to see Waldrop move to guard and let Clayton Stadnick be the full-time center (Waldrop just has the body of a guard to me).

Second string of course I think could be Matulis, B. Stadnick, Knott, Sport and Gibson while we let Zandi, Stanley, King, Park and Rogers get another year of growth.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I agree.
We will truly see just how special Connor was next year...I like Dylan, but he isn't Connor Shaw..and after this season, I think Connor is a better passer than Dylan.

I do think we will see as much zone read next year, and will force our linemen to put a hat on a hat and move the line.

I almost think guys like Robinson and Waldrop need to lose a little weight..maybe get Robinson in the 330 area and Waldrop down to the 310-305 area and get them mobile.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

conwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudly

OL should be better next year. If they stay the same offensive production will be down & sacks up. If the running game stalls like it did in some games this season we are likely in for a long day. If you're gonna drop back & chunk it in the SEC without the threat of a running QB, you better not be doing that in 3rd & long.
Still have nightmares of the 2nd half of last year's UF game where we got in that situation & it was ugly. Their DL got to the QB about the same time as the ball & we just had no chance.

More I formation, less empty backfield & more use of the TE's is what I think we'll see.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The coaching staff has to find a way to generate a rush offense out of its base packages. They have shown that they can get cute with Pharoh and Mike in the Wildcat and they love to sprinkle in the QB draw .. but when it comes to the base offense, they either have to start getting some push upfront or throw in wrinkles to generate enough rush offense to keep defenses from tee'ing off on Dylan Thompson. Our rush plays outside of the inside zone consisted mostly of the speed option of out the gun, the draw, and a power play out of the I. Not a whole lot of diversity.

I don't think there is any question that the offense will be more on the pass heavy side. Just look at the pass attempts in Dylan's starts. And with Roland, Byrd, Jones, and Cooper returning to go along with Adams/Anderson there is enough firepower on the perimeter to rip up secondaries. But there has got to be some balance sprinkled in. Its starting to become obvious that Mike Davis isn't a 20 carry back so we can't rely on him carrying us an entire game or a long stretch of the season and stay healthy. Brandon Wilds seemingly would be an ideal 20+ carry guy but he just doesn't give you that big play potential. Hopefully the emergence of David Williams will add some more pop to the backfield.

Offensive coaching staff needs to hit the drawing board this Spring.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
The coaching staff has to find a way to generate a rush offense out of its base packages. They have shown that they can get cute with Pharoh and Mike in the Wildcat and they love to sprinkle in the QB draw .. but when it comes to the base offense, they either have to start getting some push upfront or throw in wrinkles to generate enough rush offense to keep defenses from tee'ing off on Dylan Thompson. Our rush plays outside of the inside zone consisted mostly of the speed option of out the gun, the draw, and a power play out of the I. Not a whole lot of diversity.

I don't think there is any question that the offense will be more on the pass heavy side. Just look at the pass attempts in Dylan's starts. And with Roland, Byrd, Jones, and Cooper returning to go along with Adams/Anderson there is enough firepower on the perimeter to rip up secondaries. But there has got to be some balance sprinkled in. Its starting to become obvious that Mike Davis isn't a 20 carry back so we can't rely on him carrying us an entire game or a long stretch of the season and stay healthy. Brandon Wilds seemingly would be an ideal 20+ carry guy but he just doesn't give you that big play potential. Hopefully the emergence of David Williams will add some more pop to the backfield.

Offensive coaching staff needs to hit the drawing board this Spring.
Perhaps they should take a trip to Wisconsin this off season and hang out with those guys for a little while.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Perhaps they should take a trip to Wisconsin this off season and hang out with those guys for a little while.
No kidding..you want a power run game with a line that controls scrimmage, watch Wisconsin. Those guys know how to do it.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
No kidding..you want a power run game with a line that controls scrimmage, watch Wisconsin. Those guys know how to do it.
I was screaming at the TV every time they ripped of an 8, 10, or 14 yarder. But if you take a step back and just watch the plays, they really know how to do it right.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

Ready to see what Connor Mitch, David Williams and Shaq Davidson can do!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote