CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
l^l^lBGCock
Badazcock
gamecockgal
WeStillOwnUSC
Regalcock
ccured
roosterdude21
Order 66
U-Dub Gamecock
snruter amabon
Can it get any bette (1591)
Boo This Man... (1107)
georgia rewind... (815)
Gameday in Columbia (725)
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (653)
Stadium improvement (591)
Doniyah Cliney to si (573)
Where to Watch the G (308)
Why we'll dominate C (262)
Mizzou game late par (212)
UGA is running over Troy
Full Men's 2014-15 Schedu
Gameday in Columbia
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Winston
Well, as it turns out, we
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Defense Tackles
2016 - Collin Hill
Can it get any better!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #61
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where do we finish in the polls?

1. Auburn
2. FSU
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #62
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
You mean, the least amount of losses of any team in the country right?
Exactly what are you reading to make you think this is true? We have the fewest players leaving because of graduation (no more eligibility) but that doesn't mean we're not losing more than other teams. Just off the top of my head I know we're losing Shaw, Patrick, Clowney, Quarles, Sutton, Legree, and Hampton. And we all know there's a possibility Ellington will leave. That makes 8 departures just from the starters. And as we know, depth is crucial, and we're losing a few backups as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #63
lakefire
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
lakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via ICQ to lakefire Send a message via AIM to lakefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
1. Auburn
2. FSU
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. Alabama
7. South Carolina
This is how I see it happening. We've seemed to get screwed in the polls when there is a lot of action. Like when we dropped for beating UCF.

I was hoping things would line up perfectly to finish top 5, but I think it's unlikely.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #64
lakefire
4-Star

Male

lakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via ICQ to lakefire Send a message via AIM to lakefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
I think Mizzou would have to blow out OK ST to stay ahead of SC. If FSU beats Auburn like they have most teams, y'all could be the highest ranked SEC team.
Mizzou isn't ahead of us in the AP & Coaches. BCS doesn't do another poll, and that's the one they rank higher than us in.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #65
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
This is how I see it happening. We've seemed to get screwed in the polls when there is a lot of action. Like when we dropped for beating UCF.

I was hoping things would line up perfectly to finish top 5, but I think it's unlikely.
I will admit, with all the media's pro SEC worship, y'all don't seem to get your fair share. Maybe they don't like our State. They often rag on us taters more than the bottom feeders of the ACC. I still think ESPN was afraid a 2 loss SC may win the SEC and OH ST win the B10; setting up a FSU vs. OH ST NC game.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #66
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

We should be 6th in ReadRoosters poll if it were me. Bama lost their last two games. We had a bad loss but it was in October, we beat two teams in the BCS, with UCF beating Baylor. We haven't lost since. Mizzou could still beat OK St. too which would make our win even better. If Bama is still ranked ahead of us after that, well I don't know what to say.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #67
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
We should be 6th in ReadRoosters poll if it were me. Bama lost their last two games. We had a bad loss but it was in October, we beat two teams in the BCS, with UCF beating Baylor. We haven't lost since. Mizzou could still beat OK St. too which would make our win even better. If Bama is still ranked ahead of us after that, well I don't know what to say.
Just because a game happens earlier or later I don't see how that game counts more or less. Bama will probably be ranked ahead of us because the lost to the SEC champ maybe National Champ and another 10 win, now 11 win team. They didn't lose to a mediocre team and a bad team like we did.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #68
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefire View Post

I think we move up at least two spots to #6. Top 5 is a definite possibility. Wisconsin may have been #19 but they are highly respected nationally and favored to win. They hadn't lost by double digits since 2010.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #69
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
OU beat bama by 14 points, so they will almost certainly jump us...
No they won't. You don't jump teams ahead of you that keep winning against ranked opponents. No one hates us. Okie and possibly Bama will finish behind us. That's they way it goes.
The bigger question is do we jump Bama and does taters beat Buckeyes.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #70
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i expect oklahoma and bama to both jump us, but on resumes theres a good argument that baylor should stay ahead of oklahoma since they beat them by 29. flameout i dont think its that the media hates us, but baylor lost and oklahoma won, most of the voters who voted for baylor would be inclined to vote for oklahoma over us. regional or big 12 bias will screw us there, and i think a national or big name school bias will screw us with the previous alabama voters. im the guaranteeing that will happen, but thats my take.

my top 6 would be whatever order of fsu/auburn/michigan st top 3, then probably us either 4th or 5th depending on what happens in the ohio state game and ucf right behind us. not based on what the previous polls were or whatever, but where everyone deserves to be ranked based on the season they had.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #71
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i expect oklahoma and bama to both jump us, but on resumes theres a good argument that baylor should stay ahead of oklahoma since they beat them by 29. flameout i dont think its that the media hates us, but baylor lost and oklahoma won, most of the voters who voted for baylor would be inclined to vote for oklahoma over us. regional or big 12 bias will screw us there, and i think a national or big name school bias will screw us with the previous alabama voters. im the guaranteeing that will happen, but thats my take.

my top 6 would be whatever order of fsu/auburn/michigan st top 3, then probably us either 4th or 5th depending on what happens in the ohio state game and ucf right behind us. not based on what the previous polls were or whatever, but where everyone deserves to be ranked based on the season they had.
It's nice to know someone else gets where I'm coming from. This is exactly how I feel. We deserve to be ahead of Alabama and Oklahoma, BUT I doubt that will happen because of the prestige of last night's game. I do think it's possible Alabama will be behind us since their loss was so ugly, but I'm absolutely expecting OU to jump up enough to pass us.

And the possibility of OU being ahead of a team that has the same record but beat them by a lot is insane, but that's definitely going to happen since Baylor had an ugly loss while OU was on the right end of the big upset.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #72
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Don't think you can go by head-to-head only or TN would be ahead of us

I'd say at this point that we're at #8 (BCS-wise where Mizzou is still ahead) - we should definitely move ahead of Stanford and Baylor; slight chance Oregon passes us but I don't think so; Boomer Sooner definitely moves ahead but I don't think Roll Tide falls below us. So if Mizzou and (choking back vomit to say this) Ohio St. lose, we would make it up to #6 (#5 if Bama drops below us)
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #73
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i expect oklahoma and bama to both jump us....
Bama can't jump us....they are already ahead of us. The question is, does Bama fall behind us after losing to #11? And can #11 jump #8 if #8 won against a ranked opponent?
It's highly unlikely Okie jumps us....we are already destined to move up 2 slots...but Bama may not drop behind us. Our guys are in a good position to finish in the Top 5. We should be #6 and maybe higher depending on how far 'Bama drops. Remember, 'Bama has lost their last 2 games....we won our last 2 games v. ranked opponents.

The hate comment was a joke.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #74
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Don't think you can go by head-to-head only or TN would be ahead of us

I'd say at this point that we're at #8 (BCS-wise where Mizzou is still ahead) - we should definitely move ahead of Stanford and Baylor; slight chance Oregon passes us but I don't think so; Boomer Sooner definitely moves ahead but I don't think Roll Tide falls below us. So if Mizzou and (choking back vomit to say this) Ohio St. lose, we would make it up to #6 (#5 if Bama drops below us)
In a case where two teams have the same record, you can definitely just go by the head-to-head game. There's also the situation where the head-to-head win trumps other the record, and that's when a team technically has a better record and a win in a more prestigious bowl but played a much weaker schedule. Case in point: UCF. Obviously we should be ahead of them in the polls. In the two cases I mentioned, the head-to-head result matters the most, at least in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #75
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

this thread makes me laugh...

unless we crack #1-5, which I don't see happening, being 6-9 is really all the same. The good news is since we won, we shouldn't fall below 8 since that is where we are now.

and there will be a final bcs poll

Last edited by TKE226; 01-03-2014 at 10:07 AM.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #76
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

A thought on Bama remaining ahead of us:

We beat (currently ranked AP/Coaches)
Mizzou 9/9
clemson 12/11
UCF 15/15
Wisconsin 19/19

Bama beat
LSU 14/14
aTm 20/22

I do realize our losses were worse.
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #77
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

I just want to see the pollsters give the team what it's due in terms of respect after the way they did them for winning in Orlando against UCF, which obviously ended up being a high-quality win, and for dropping us so drastically after the last-second loss in Knoxville. Yes, the loss to UT should never have happened, but the penalty was too harsh since we didn't know at the time UT would end up being so bad. I mean UT had just taken UGA to the brink and should have won against them. Their game against UGA put them at 3-3, with all 3 of their losses coming against ranked teams. Yes this is the "IF" part, but if the UT running back hadn't lost control of the ball in overtime against UGA, UT would have been 4-2 coming into the game against us, so why did we fall so far in the polls after a last-second loss to them? That huge drop and the drop after winning a close game put us in this position, so I want to see the pollsters make it right by giving us some respect for such a strong finish. Oh! I forgot how severely they punished us for losing to UGA, too. We went from being #6 in the AP and Coaches' polls to being #13 and #14, respectively.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #78
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
and there will be a final bcs poll
Check the previous seasons. The last BCS poll of the season always comes out after the last week of the regular season in December. It determines who plays in the BCS title game or #1 vs #2. The winner receives the BCS trophy. The only polls left are the AP and Coaches.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #79
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Just because a game happens earlier or later I don't see how that game counts more or less. Bama will probably be ranked ahead of us because the lost to the SEC champ maybe National Champ and another 10 win, now 11 win team. They didn't lose to a mediocre team and a bad team like we did.
I beg to differ sir, we always have the debate of a team losing early in the year vs. late in the year. We have seen teams be able to come back up in the rankings by winning all or most of their late games if they stumble in the opener to a quality opponent. Sure, we had 1 worse loss, but we also had better wins if you look at both schedules and how the teams we faced ended the year.

Bottom line, in my opinion, the way the teams ended the year and the quality of wins there is no way Alabama should be ahead of us in the final rankings. We shouldn't be THAT far ahead either, but we should be right in front of them.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #80
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
A thought on Bama remaining ahead of us:

We beat (currently ranked AP/Coaches)
Mizzou 9/9
clemson 12/11
UCF 15/15
Wisconsin 19/19

Bama beat
LSU 14/14
aTm 20/22

I do realize our losses were worse.
You can actually even look at the rankings of the teams each school beat at the time of the games. Alabama's biggest wins came against the following ranked teams. Alabama also closed out its season with a two-game losing streak.

#6 A&M (road game)
#21 Ole Miss (home game)
#13 LSU (home game)

Our biggest wins came against the following ranked teams. Again, the rankings are what the teams were at the time. We ended our season with a six-game winning streak.

#5 Missouri (road game)
#6 Clemson (home game)
#19 Wisconsin (neutral site)

So throughout the course of the season our big wins were against teams that were ranked higher than the teams Alabama beat for their biggest wins. Then you can look at where the various teams are currently ranked to see how things ultimately shook out. There's also the question of "style points" as far as the way the big wins happened. UA did dominate in their three wins, where we had to scratch, claw, and fight in ours.

Now let's look at OU's big wins to see how their resume stacks up. They closed out their season with a four-game winning streak.

#22 Notre Dame (road game; ND currently only ranked in AP at #25, but should be ranked in all after bowl win)
#10 Texas Tech (home game; currently unranked, but beat #14 Arizona State in bowl game)
#6 Okie State (road game; currently #13 and still to play bowl game)
#3 Alabama (neutral site)

So Oklahoma's wins are pretty good overall, but I still don't think one upset should let them jump up enough to pass us, even though I feel certain that's what's going to happen.