CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
markymark550
johnnyb
CoverTwo
Constant Updates on (3288)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1239)
How cool would it be (1132)
Carolina/Clemson gam (947)
Palmetto Bowl (851)
Chattanooga upends N (754)
NEW Pics from South (442)
Where to watch in Ar (310)
Greenville for the C (221)
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Bowl projections
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Where to watch in Arlingt
Constant Updates on Watso
Ced Cooper (#18) status?
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #13301
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Derrell Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
Chubb is without a doubt the better RB.

Our biggest mistake was never going after Chubb full bore. We never slow played Scott, he has always had the full attention of the staff. They made a weak effort to recruit Chubb.

Scott looks good on a highlight tape in open field running away from kids. Anyone watch his carries when he isn't breaking a long run? He is being arm tackled by 170lb HS defenders. He can not get yards after contact. We require our RBs to get yards after contact because we don't run an offense that puts them 1 on 1 in space where all they have to do is make 1 person miss.
Don't think it is accurate that we never went after Chubb full bore, but if this was the strategy, going half-heartedly after both, it obviously backfired. Something else going on here, I think Scott didn't like that we pushed for Chubb that much and maybe when it seemed Chubb was interested in us we weren't as aggressive as other schools. Hopefully we get a RB, always nice to bring in one per year at least. If we don't, it is not the end of the world since we have good depth.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #13302
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Don't think it is accurate that we never went after Chubb full bore, but if this was the strategy, going half-heartedly after both, it obviously backfired. Something else going on here, I think Scott didn't like that we pushed for Chubb that much and maybe when it seemed Chubb was interested in us we weren't as aggressive as other schools. Hopefully we get a RB, always nice to bring in one per year at least. If we don't, it is not the end of the world since we have good depth.
We have been on Scott for awhile now. I doubt Chubb has anything to do with Scott at all, especially since Chubb committed to UGA a long time ago. I just think Bitch Jones negative recruiting is making Scott have second thoughts. UTk already has 2 RBs committed, and UF offered Scott after losing Dalvin Cook. Unlike UTk and UF, Scott has been our #1 RB on the board for years, so I dont see how Chubb is an issue for Scott.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #13303
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

I'm curious how Tennessee's bowl performance impacted their standing with this kid...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #13304
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
We have been on Scott for awhile now. I doubt Chubb has anything to do with Scott at all, especially since Chubb committed to UGA a long time ago. I just think Bitch Jones negative recruiting is making Scott have second thoughts. UTk already has 2 RBs committed, and UF offered Scott after losing Dalvin Cook. Unlike UTk and UF, Scott has been our #1 RB on the board for years, so I dont see how Chubb is an issue for Scott.
I was commenting on the assumption CarolinaCoast made about Scott feeling he was being slow played in the summer. To his credit, CC said this may or may not have been true, I don't even know if Scott made it known he felt that way, much less if it was actually happened. But either way, the ONLY reason to slow play a guy you have been going after for years is because you are taking limited numbers at that spot and there is a possibility of getting someone you prefer more.

All I am saying is IF Scott actually wanted to commit earlier in the year and we "slow played" him, it was a mistake in my opinion. I am not sure any of that actually happened, but I was commenting on what others said they heard. Either way, this recruitment has felt strange to me. It feels like we have been progressively in a worse position as time has gone on. I can SOMEWHAT understand Tennessee in that they beat us this year, they have great facilities (even if they are in a mountain of debt because of them) and Butch Jones is obviously selling things well to people up there. Florida getting an official visit that quickly after offering, that just seems strange.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #13305
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
I'm curious how Tennessee's bowl performance impacted their standing with this kid...
I understand the joke you're making here, but most of the time recruits don't pay attention to those kind of things. UT is selling the new staff, rebuilding, be part of the process bit and kids are buying into it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #13306
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
I was commenting on the assumption CarolinaCoast made about Scott feeling he was being slow played in the summer. To his credit, CC said this may or may not have been true, I don't even know if Scott made it known he felt that way, much less if it was actually happened. But either way, the ONLY reason to slow play a guy you have been going after for years is because you are taking limited numbers at that spot and there is a possibility of getting someone you prefer more.

All I am saying is IF Scott actually wanted to commit earlier in the year and we "slow played" him, it was a mistake in my opinion. I am not sure any of that actually happened, but I was commenting on what others said they heard. Either way, this recruitment has felt strange to me. It feels like we have been progressively in a worse position as time has gone on. I can SOMEWHAT understand Tennessee in that they beat us this year, they have great facilities (even if they are in a mountain of debt because of them) and Butch Jones is obviously selling things well to people up there. Florida getting an official visit that quickly after offering, that just seems strange.
I see, I should have read back some. Was it ever known that Scott wanted to commit earlier? I always thought he said from the get go that he was going to wait and commit after his senior season. If he wanted to commit, and we slow played him, then it was definitely an error. I think the negative recruiting is hurting us somewhat with Scott, especially Spurriers age.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #13307
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

Using Spurrier's age I suppose is a legitimate recruitng ploy, although I would think you could sell the merits of your own program. Having said that, having some young and perceived hot shot coach doesn't exactly lend itself to stability either. Ask the PSU recruits. And when the UT job and other NFL jobs are filled ask the kids at FSU or Louiseville or Vandy how "stable" they thought the coaching staffs at those schools seemed to be. Spurrier is at least here another 3-4 years.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #13308
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I understand the joke you're making here, but most of the time recruits don't pay attention to those kind of things. UT is selling the new staff, rebuilding, be part of the process bit and kids are buying into it.
I still felt it was necessary to put this here. You can sell rebuilding all that you want, but if you are rebuilding from below ground level.... it's gonna be a while before you get to where you want to be.

Just a thought
Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #13309
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:

The info I got was from another school's insiders is that the Havelock coach was sending some players to their school for visits, and, specifically the school was told that, Scott felt he had been "slow played." It sure does sound that Havelock contacted them. Maybe the coach had more to do with it. We went through this with other recruits with hs coaches getting involved. Like I said Lawing's relationship with Havelock was influential in getting there players. Apparently, there was bad blood between former coaching staffs in NC with Havelock HS, and at least one NC school did not have a good relationship with Havelock, which is why USC had such good luck recruiting that school. It seems as if the Havelock coach's relationship with recruiters is important. As I said, it may not be correct that Scott was being slow played. We all know about the claims about USC not keeping up with Wesley Green was used as a reason for his decommitment. The bottom line is that Scott has looked at several schools, and the departure of Lawing and recruiting two rbs in was supposed to be a small class didn't help, not to mention what happened with Vickers. Consequentially, in the end, it doesn't matter what the reason is. Scott is looking around, period.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #13310
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

UTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot material

Quote:
I still felt it was necessary to put this here. You can sell rebuilding all that you want, but if you are rebuilding from below ground level.... it's gonna be a while before you get to where you want to be.

Just a thought
I guess nobody should have ever went to SC then.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #13311
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Just a thought
Trust me, I completely understand what you're saying. If he comes here, he's immediately playing for a legitimate contender. If he goes to UT, he'll be playing on a team that will struggle for a couple of years before contending. What I was saying was we never know what it takes to sell these recruits, and a lot of times the type of stuff that UT is pitching to Scott works.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #13312
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

To be honest, I'm not completely sold on him.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #13313
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVOLS View Post
I guess nobody should have ever went to SC then.
Well, if you are talking people in-state that is a different matter.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #13314
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

UTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot materialUTVOLS is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, if you are talking people in-state that is a different matter.
Of course. Just pointing out the flaw in the argument. It was only a matter of time before the talent SC produces started to stay in South Carolina. Lattimore, Jeffry, Clowney...all program changers.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #13315
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999880
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Unlike utk, Carolina has a coach who can coach. utk has dabojr
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #13316
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Scott has been our #1 RB recruit for a long, long time. I would seriously doubt USC ever slow played him but I certainly couldn't say that with 100% certainty. What I can say is that I read an article a month or so about football recruiting in NC (a newspaper article if I remember correctly) The gist of the article was the state of NC's inability to keep top recruits home.

The Havelock coach related a story where he attended a coaching seminar with numerous other high school coaches as well as college coaches. At some point an assistant college coach (the Havelock head coach said he didn't recall what specific school) asked for help in keeping his players "home". The Havelock HC said he immediately pointed out to this college coach that nobody from his school had ever set foot on the Havelock campus.

This is one of several reasons, in addition to the Lawing relationship, why USC has had some success recruiting that school.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #13317
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Unlike utk, Carolina has a coach who can coach. utk has dabojr
You know so much.

Since you want to cross swords, maybe Spurrier will actually coach his way to a championship before he retires or dies. Maybe. But probably not. Wouldn't be an SC team if they didn't choke away what lies ahead of them.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #13318
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
You know so much.

Since you want to cross swords, maybe Spurrier will actually coach his way to a championship before he retires or dies. Maybe. But probably not. Wouldn't be an SC team if they didn't choke away what lies ahead of them.
I bet you know all about crossing sowrds....

Fact is you made a commet about rebuilding and why it could attract Scott, but utk's coach is nowhere near the coach SOS was when he came to SC. I mean you guys hired a coach who was embarrassed by the coach you fired. I mean I know if you can't beat them join them, but if you can beat them, join them?

Funny you talk about choking, but I haven't seen utk do anything since Fulmer left.

I for one hope Scott sees past the bs utk is throwing out there.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #13319
UTVOLS
Vols, Butch!

Male

Jones is 1-0 against Spurrier. /argument.

As for Scott, I think he stays with SC.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #13320
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Jones is 1-0 against Spurrier. /argument.

As for Scott, I think he stays with SC.

SOS 14-9 vs utk /argument.