CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
The Yancey
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
conwaycock2
Travelin
Freshman ND WR " (1224)
Good Riddance to bad (627)
The Comeback & T (560)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
ESPN Game Day Commen (425)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (415)
Simple "yes&quo (399)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (346)
TeMarcus Blanton (291)
An A to Z of Noah We (288)
Garcia: Change the Rules
2016 - Avery McCall
Phil Steele just predicte
Ranking the SEC Football
Simple "yes" or
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #1
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly
Default Fan jealousy

With Alabama losing tonight, Facebook has exploded with Oklahoma fans coming out of the woodwork boasting about beating the SEC.

The jealousy of our conference is insane. Fans around the country want us to lose so badly. My best friend claims to be a Texas fan and even he was pulling for Oklahoma to beat Bama. Idk about you but I could never pull for clemson to beat anyone. Ever.

Where do ya'll stand on this? Do ya'll stand on the side of pulling for our conference to make our season look that much better? Or do ya'll have the mindset of screw everyone else as long as we win?

1 other thing. I know our fans chant SEC after we beat clemson every year and I thought I heard it after beating Wisconsin. I'm not really big on doing that because it really means nothing to chant that (besides the fact that it annoys the crap out of tater fans lol). I don't believe any other school does it so, why do we?
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit
Default Re: Fan jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
With Alabama losing tonight, Facebook has exploded with Oklahoma fans coming out of the woodwork boasting about beating the SEC.

The jealousy of our conference is insane. Fans around the country want us to lose so badly. My best friend claims to be a Texas fan and even he was pulling for Oklahoma to beat Bama. Idk about you but I could never pull for clemson to beat anyone. Ever.

Where do ya'll stand on this? Do ya'll stand on the side of pulling for our conference to make our season look that much better? Or do ya'll have the mindset of screw everyone else as long as we win?

1 other thing. I know our fans chant SEC after we beat clemson every year and I thought I heard it after beating Wisconsin. I'm not really big on doing that because it really means nothing to chant that (besides the fact that it annoys the crap out of tater fans lol). I don't believe any other school does it so, why do we?

Pretty much every sec school does it
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:

Go back and watch Florida beat OSU in '06, they did it then and every SEC school does it. The point is that those other teams just can't beat us because of level of competition, and that we are the only conference that understands that other teams success within our conference helps us with recruiting and to succeed in the post season.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #4
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

As long as it helps you in some way, it is good. There is a fine line of how much it helps, but the SEC got more money and a better network deal than everyone else because they have several teams that win. It is not so bad if the west wins a lot. The eastern teams, harder to do since they are the ones you recruit against.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Every SEC team does this when they defeat an out of conference opponent. We were not original in doing this, we were just following everyone else in the conference.

ALSO...this goes back to our leaving the acc...back when clemson and maryland were supposed to defect with us...it is just a little reminder to them that while we may have paid for stepping out and being betrayed by them, it certainly has paid off in the long run for us. I was in the stadium chanting S-E-C proudly when we beat clemson this year, and the other two times in this current streak, I have a house in the upstate and I know how much this pisses them off so I will do it every chance I get.

I also had some fun pointing out to them that Duke was a champion for the acc this season...in football...that seemed to piss them off too.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #6
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Yes, I care about the perception of the conference. Mostly because it helps us BIG TIME with recruiting. Now, just because SEC is the best conference and the best teams are in the SEC it doesn't mean they are going to win all the time. Just most of the time.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

This one loss doesn't change anything.
It also doesn't get me upset because we won our bowl game.
Even if auburn loses it doesn't change the perception of the conference because what has happened the last 7 years.

I don't need another team winning a title to feel better about myself.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
It is a conference tradition. I have seen Bama fans doing it when we won. I have been in sports bars here in Orlando where gator fans were pulling for us against non conference foes and chanting SEC! SEC! SEC! It is part and parcel of the prestige and allure of being a member of the most highly regarded conference in the country.

There are good reasons why the taters and others keep trying to join. Besides the winning tradition there is the record amount of money membership brings in. There is also the recruiting advantage. Imagine being a young HS player and seeing our success and our public displays of conference loyalty versus everyone else in the joint laughing at a leather helmet clad clown running down a hill.

We need to keep our mystique and tradition going. The SEC is our brand. Embrace it.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

I don't care about any of the other teams in the conference.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
jhaze7683
4-Star

Male

jhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudlyjhaze7683 is crowing loudly

I do not believe in conference loyalty. I cheer for the team that I want to win, regardless of who is playing who... However, I am someone who does not like Alabama. To put it in perspective, I hate clemson, but not as much as I hate Alabama... So, if any other fan from any other conference wanna go off and brag about how they "took down the giant," Let them! But, look at what has been happening lately... The SEC can always take a loss.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

other conferences are tired about hearing how dominant the SEC is, so when the flagship school loses, especially after hearing about how they are still the best in the country, then the vitriol is spewed

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I'm not a fan of any BCS team other than USC, but I do pull for SEC teams to beat other conference schools just because they are always so jealous. Stoops' rant before the game last night was a perfect example. If I hadn't know who he was I would have sworn his name was Dabo. But at least his team could back it up.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I pulled for Oklahoma last night. Screw Bama
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
ERNIET
GAMECOCK 43

Male

CockyCash: 740
ERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervous

I hate pulling for Clemson, but I may have to tonight. It they win, we will probably finish in the top 5 in the Country.
ERNIET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Lol@ no other school does it I can remember doing it after beating defending national champion GT in 1991 the SEC chant is decades old
Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERNIET View Post
I hate pulling for Clemson, but I may have to tonight. It they win, we will probably finish in the top 5 in the Country.
Even if Clemson wins i seriously doubt we finish top 5. Also ill never pull for Clemson some of you just don't understand the kind of impact winning a Bcs Bowl has. They get TONS of exposure, they get to use it against us for instate and out of state recruiting and it gives them a good bit of momentum for next year.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Oklahoma is the worst of the flyover states so at least they have something to be happy about.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
NOLACOCK
Recruit

Male

NOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervousNOLACOCK is making other chickens nervous

I was at the game last night and the entire bama fanbase was chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" after their first score. Needless to say we didn't hear that again...
NOLACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I hate OSU and Clemson, but I cant for the life of me pull for Clemson
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Conference pride pure and simple. If you like all the upgrades at the Brice and around the rest of the athletic department that all came from SEC revenue sharing. Not only is our team better than yours our conference is better than yours. I can promise you if we weren't in the SEC we would still be a perennial cellar dweller.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote