CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
talkincock
doubledribble
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
**USC vs. South Alab (18469)
Clemson (2419)
Drew Owens missing? (2310)
Question about after (1927)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1235)
Shaq Roland (1199)
FishFry 47-yarder (707)
clemson game time: N (682)
How about this scena (546)
Tenn-Mizzou game (386)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
USC-D1
Walk On
 
USC-D1's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 7
CockyCash: 500
USC-D1 has hatched from the shell
Default 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

OK, for those of us who are depressed this season is over, Here is an early look at our 1st opponent in August : TAMU

http://http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/five-way-too-early-predictions-for-texas-ams-2014-football-season.html/

Texas A&Mís season ended Tuesday on a high note with a win over Duke in the Chick-fil-A Bowl but in the big scheme of things a 10-4 finish was not what the Aggies had in mind for 2013.

As the offseason begins, coach Kevin Sumlin will be welcoming another highly-touted recruiting class while facing the prospect of starting next season without quarterback Johnny Manziel and receiver Mike Evans.

In what could be Sumlinís first season in Aggieland without Manziel at the helm, the 2014 season has many possibilities. Here are five way-too-early predictions for Texas A&M in the 2014 season.

1. A young, inexperienced, quarterback will once again lead the Aggies

It wasnít that long ago a freshman quarterback led A&M into a season playing in his first collegiate football game. With Manziel all but on his way out, the favorites to win the quarterback competition will be senior Matt Joeckel and sophomore Kenny Hill with true freshman Kyle Allen getting some recognition.

At the end of spring camp Sumlin will likely be mute on who is favored in the competition but given the pedigree, Kenny Hill will lead the Aggie offense onto the field against South Carolina to kick off the 2014 season. Hill played in garbage time this season as a freshman burning the possibility of a redshirt.

The former Southlake Carroll quarterback ran a very similar system in high school to the current Aggie offense and made tremendous strides during his freshman year of spring and fall camp. Look for Kenny Football to be the next Johnny Football at A&M.

2. The Aggie defense improves, slightly

Sumlinís current recruiting class has a clear focus on the defensive side of the ball and itís a good thing considering how the Aggie defense played in 2013. A&M struggled to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks and addressed those issues by getting commitments from defensive endís Qualen Cunningham, Myles Garrett and Jarrett Johnson.

While all three will be nice additions, Garrett may be the only one ready to make an impact right away. While the depth will help the Aggie front seven defensively, the unit as a whole with not improve dramatically from a season ago leaving several headaches remaining, including the secondary.

3. Last yearís recruits step up big on offense

The 2013 recruiting class was highlighted by a host of offensive weapons signing with A&M but few of them made an immediate impact. All of that will likely change though in the 2014 season.

Standout Ricky Seals-Jones was on his way to showing what he was capable of before he was injured early in the season. With the departure of Evans and safety-blanket receiver Travis Labhart, it will be Seals-Jones and other young receivers needing to step up as well as monster tight end Cam Clear who was also a member of the class.

4. Trey Williams becomes a breakout running back

For all the offensive firepower that A&M has on offense, the much hyped running backs rarely stole the spotlight this season. That could change next year with Jake Spavital taking over play calling, hoping to give the offense a little more balance in certain situations.

The biggest benefactor from this further sense of balance in the pass-heavy Air Raid offense could be Trey Williams. The former five-star recruit has shown flashes of what he has to offer in two seasons but has never broke out.

If Williams can become the feature back and get the touches he earns, and wants, he has the ability to be special in the A&M offense while also returning kicks.

5. Aggies begin unranked, end in Top 15

The 2014 season will begin with little hope surrounding the A&M program for obvious reasons like losing dynamic players like Manziel and Evans, not to mention tackle Jake Matthews.

While A&M will not begin the season ranked, Sumlin manages to lift A&M to the top-half the SEC West standings for a third consecutive year and into a Top 15 finish by the seasonís end.
USC-D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
davidwatson249
Recruit
 
davidwatson249's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irmo
Posts: 115
CockyCash: 490
davidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervousdavidwatson249 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC-D1 View Post
OK, for those of us who are depressed this season is over, Here is an early look at our 1st opponent in August : TAMU

http://http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/five-way-too-early-predictions-for-texas-ams-2014-football-season.html/

Texas A&Mís season ended Tuesday on a high note with a win over Duke in the Chick-fil-A Bowl but in the big scheme of things a 10-4 finish was not what the Aggies had in mind for 2013.

As the offseason begins, coach Kevin Sumlin will be welcoming another highly-touted recruiting class while facing the prospect of starting next season without quarterback Johnny Manziel and receiver Mike Evans.

In what could be Sumlinís first season in Aggieland without Manziel at the helm, the 2014 season has many possibilities. Here are five way-too-early predictions for Texas A&M in the 2014 season.

1. A young, inexperienced, quarterback will once again lead the Aggies

It wasnít that long ago a freshman quarterback led A&M into a season playing in his first collegiate football game. With Manziel all but on his way out, the favorites to win the quarterback competition will be senior Matt Joeckel and sophomore Kenny Hill with true freshman Kyle Allen getting some recognition.

At the end of spring camp Sumlin will likely be mute on who is favored in the competition but given the pedigree, Kenny Hill will lead the Aggie offense onto the field against South Carolina to kick off the 2014 season. Hill played in garbage time this season as a freshman burning the possibility of a redshirt.

The former Southlake Carroll quarterback ran a very similar system in high school to the current Aggie offense and made tremendous strides during his freshman year of spring and fall camp. Look for Kenny Football to be the next Johnny Football at A&M.

2. The Aggie defense improves, slightly

Sumlinís current recruiting class has a clear focus on the defensive side of the ball and itís a good thing considering how the Aggie defense played in 2013. A&M struggled to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks and addressed those issues by getting commitments from defensive endís Qualen Cunningham, Myles Garrett and Jarrett Johnson.

While all three will be nice additions, Garrett may be the only one ready to make an impact right away. While the depth will help the Aggie front seven defensively, the unit as a whole with not improve dramatically from a season ago leaving several headaches remaining, including the secondary.

3. Last yearís recruits step up big on offense

The 2013 recruiting class was highlighted by a host of offensive weapons signing with A&M but few of them made an immediate impact. All of that will likely change though in the 2014 season.

Standout Ricky Seals-Jones was on his way to showing what he was capable of before he was injured early in the season. With the departure of Evans and safety-blanket receiver Travis Labhart, it will be Seals-Jones and other young receivers needing to step up as well as monster tight end Cam Clear who was also a member of the class.

4. Trey Williams becomes a breakout running back

For all the offensive firepower that A&M has on offense, the much hyped running backs rarely stole the spotlight this season. That could change next year with Jake Spavital taking over play calling, hoping to give the offense a little more balance in certain situations.

The biggest benefactor from this further sense of balance in the pass-heavy Air Raid offense could be Trey Williams. The former five-star recruit has shown flashes of what he has to offer in two seasons but has never broke out.

If Williams can become the feature back and get the touches he earns, and wants, he has the ability to be special in the A&M offense while also returning kicks.

5. Aggies begin unranked, end in Top 15

The 2014 season will begin with little hope surrounding the A&M program for obvious reasons like losing dynamic players like Manziel and Evans, not to mention tackle Jake Matthews.

While A&M will not begin the season ranked, Sumlin manages to lift A&M to the top-half the SEC West standings for a third consecutive year and into a Top 15 finish by the seasonís end.
IMO there is no way that they start the season unranked. Too much talent and coaching at Texas A&M.
__________________
Your Life Insurance Specialist
(803) 407-0072
davidwatson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
AggieTodd
Walk On
 
AggieTodd's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 17
CockyCash: 500
AggieTodd has feathers coming inAggieTodd has feathers coming inAggieTodd has feathers coming in
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatson249 View Post
IMO there is no way that they start the season unranked. Too much talent and coaching at Texas A&M.
I appreciate the confidence, but I'm not even sure if I want us ranked. It might be easier to set expectations appropriately. :)

1. No one will be the next Johnny Football. I think Kenny Hill will be good and really good eventually, but we don't need to heap unrealistic expectations on him. It will also depend on how many of our lineman return next season (Jake Matthews (LT) is a senior and two others might leave early).

2. I agree. Slight improvement next year and looking for a big improvement the following year.

3. Agreed. We have a lot of great receivers.

4. I think all the running backs will look better next year including Tra Carson. Carson is our power back and a good runner. Most importantly is that he will be the better blocker for our young QB, so I think he'll play a lot.

5. I'm not sure what how to see next season. If no OL leave early for the draft, then our offense will be good again. If we can at least have a non-pathetic defense, then we'll win a decent number of games. I doubt we blow teams out, which means a lot of stressful games into the 4th quarter.
AggieTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan
 
eaglegolf018's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Small Town
Posts: 24,786
CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Shoot me for saying this, but IMO, Mike Evans leaving that program is bigger for us in that 1st game than Johnny Football.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
Garnet Gamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 2,765
CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Shoot me for saying this, but IMO, Mike Evans leaving that program is bigger for us in that 1st game than Johnny Football.
Totally agree. Evans was damn near unstoppable.
__________________
Cream the Kadiddlehoppers!
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
kingoftheroost
la-la-la
 
kingoftheroost's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 4,600
CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Has Manziel officially said he is leaving? He's not on the list someone posted a link for in the Locker Room.
__________________
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13
 
garnet_black215's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 7,769
CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Even if the Aggies defense improves "slightly," it will still be a pretty bad defense. Their offense is obviously what scares me. They have a ton of weapons on that side of the ball.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro
 
Carolina4Life's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Midlands
Posts: 7,144
CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Our home winning streak will be tested.
__________________
Say NO to Concrete, Brick The Brice!
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
JohnnyB21
Two Deep
 
JohnnyB21's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pelion, SC
Posts: 1,092
CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Has Manziel officially said he is leaving? He's not on the list someone posted a link for in the Locker Room.
Not officially, but he's hinted at it.
__________________

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4
 
Gaichon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,892
CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

First - brace yourselves for a fanbase very similar and equally delusional as CU's. I saw Hill play in HS and he's legit, but we'll be fine. Evans, Manziel, and Matthews gone from a team that barely got past Duke. Again, we'll be fine.
__________________
"A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools." - Thucydides

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
TKE226
Damn Yankee
 
TKE226's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 15,298
CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

nothing like starting the season off with a bang.

For A&M starting a new QB, so are we in a way. Thompson didn't play much this year, and has some work to do. It should be a good game.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13
 
garnet_black215's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 7,769
CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
nothing like starting the season off with a bang.

For A&M starting a new QB, so are we in a way. Thompson didn't play much this year, and has some work to do. It should be a good game.
Their defense just doesn't scare me. Sure they're bringing in a five-star DE along with some other good players, but how much can they count on those guys to make an impact that early in the season? They've never been able to generate much of a pass rush, so if Thompson or whoever is QB can get time to throw, we could shred that secondary.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
thekob
2nd Team All-American
 
thekob's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington
Posts: 7,645
CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

How will their OL be next year? To me the answer to that question is the key to how tough that first game will be.
__________________
GOD
USA
SEC
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
kingoftheroost
la-la-la
 
kingoftheroost's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 4,600
CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
How will their OL be next year? To me the answer to that question is the key to how tough that first game will be.
I don't know if any of the guys are expected to leave early, but there was only one senior starter in their bowl game.
__________________
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13
 
garnet_black215's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 7,769
CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I don't know if any of the guys are expected to leave early, but there was only one senior starter in their bowl game.
Jake Matthews is gone, and they could lose more.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
kingoftheroost
la-la-la
 
kingoftheroost's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 4,600
CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: 5 way-too-early predictions for Texas A&Mís 2014 football season

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Jake Matthews is gone, and they could lose more.
How the heck did I forget about him?

I don't think he has officially declared, has he? So it's still possible he could pull a Lewan and come back.
__________________
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development