CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
l^l^lBGCock
GamecockSuperFan
A. Pilgrim
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
jellafever
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2549)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (1024)
Herbstreit on " (946)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (936)
SEC QB's in the Red (918)
Little know stat (We (872)
Gamecockology Helms (826)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (674)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (508)
Where do you like to (430)
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Chances we win out now?
Tennessee - South Carolin
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
We're going to the NCAA T
This season and recruitin
Halo: Master Chief Collec
Where do you like to sit
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Little know stat (Week 10

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000866
Darth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudly
Default Raised Expectations

First off, let me say that I'm extremely proud of this team and what they accomplished this season. It truly was special watching this young team battle to win 11 games and overcoming adversity along the way.

That being said, do you guys think it's time that we start expecting more? Such as SEC Championships and even National Title contending seasons? I don't want to be that unappreciative fan, which I'm not, just saying I feel like the best programs expect to win a title every year and think we should put ourselves in that position as well.

I appreciate where Carolina football has came from. We have came from nothing and now are on top of the college football mountain. Just think that next year it's Atlanta or bust. These 11 win seasons are awesome but I think we have to take that next step soon. It has to be expected to happen and our players, coaches, and fanbases need to set their goals to be in Atlanta come December.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Raised Expectations

We are not at the top of the college football mountain. That would require a national championship. We are close to the top though, and if the talent keeps flowing in and with a little luck we can reach the peak.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Part of my professional practice was teaching people successful goal planning techniques. I could use your post as an example of how to fail. You want to break down a long term goal such as winning a conference championship into a series of mini goals. You have to have goals that are reasonably achievable along the way. SOS knows this. The team accomplished a boatload of their pre season goals. Recognizing your successes and basking in them while keeping goals that stretch you is the way to go. Your all or nothing approach breeds nothing more than self loathing and a team that will give up once the first bit of adversity hits that seemingly puts your ultimate goal out of reach. Look at Bama last night. They weren't playing for the NC this time so they just did not show up against Okie. You do not want to live your life that way and we do not want that sort of attitude in our team or fanbase.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I wouldn't raise my expectations unless our recruiting began to bring in the kind of talent FSU has been snagging lately.

9-10 wins/yr is reasonable for USC all things considered. 11 win seasons are gravy IMO.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Too early to know what to expect for 2014 season. I would think that with the entire Offensive line returning, Mike Davis, if Bruce returns to fill out our stellar receiving corps, if we can fill the wholes in the defensive line & secondary that we will be tough to beat next year, especially due to the losses that teams like Georgia, TAMU, Florida still looking unsettled that we should win the east next year. In that situation I like our chances of making the play off
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

Darth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudly

I'm not saying don't be happy with the success we have had dude. I have been thrilled with these successes and I agree that you have to build up to winning bigger championships in order to get there. It takes one step at a time. Just saying that should be the expectation.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

I don't think our season should be a bust if we don't win the national title. Just saying the Tennssee game is still haunting and we should be slightly disappointed we didn't capture more than just a Capital One Bowl championship this year.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Part of my professional practice was teaching people successful goal planning techniques. I could use your post as an example of how to fail. You want to break down a long term goal such as winning a conference championship into a series of mini goals. You have to have goals that are reasonably achievable along the way. SOS knows this. The team accomplished a boatload of their pre season goals. Recognizing your successes and basking in them while keeping goals that stretch you is the way to go. Your all or nothing approach breeds nothing more than self loathing and a team that will give up once the first bit of adversity hits that seemingly puts your ultimate goal out of reach. Look at Bama last night. They weren't playing for the NC this time so they just did not show up against Okie. You do not want to live your life that way and we do not want that sort of attitude in our team or fanbase.
Couldn't agree more with this. We all want to take that next step, but you don't want to have an all or nothing mentality. How many trips to Omaha did it take before we finally won the CWS? If the team had this (we have to win it all mentality) we could have easily gone in the tank after that Tennessee loss. Instead they battle back on the road against a tough Missouri team and rattle off six wins in a row to close out the season.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Couldn't agree more with this. We all want to take that next step, but you don't want to have an all or nothing mentality. How many trips to Omaha did it take before we finally won the CWS? If the team had this (we have to win it all mentality) we could have easily gone in the tank after that Tennessee loss. Instead they battle back on the road against a tough Missouri team and rattle off six wins in a row to close out the season.
Agree with both of you. Not saying that's not my mindset. Just ready to win the big one.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

although we didn't get to the SECCG this year, its a goal of the team...that is the mentality of the team. and we were in it until the last game. unfortunately we didn't control our own destiny at that point. when you say expectations are high, I think its more of the fan expectations. I think the team believes in themselves enough to have the SECCG as a goal.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

We need to simply keep playing each game with the expectation of victory. I refuse to become dissatisfied with our level of success. Yes, I want to win championships. But, if you consistently have double digit wins each year, opportunities will come (SECCG, big time bowls, NCG).

There's no reason to hold anyone's feet to the fire and start demanding more success. That attitude of entitlement is exactly why SOS departed Florida. Savor our current success and never take it for granted...it could be gone in a heartbeat.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

It's hard to argue with the success of this program over the last 5 seasons,
and especially the last 3. However, if you look at HOW we got here, you
realize that there is still much we need to accomplish before we can be
considered "THERE". .. It's been said by myself, and a few other like minded
Gamecocks (usually the older members), that we don't want to see this
program have a good season, OR even a string of good seasons, we want to
see this Athletic Dept, and school build a winning PROGRAM. Winning programs
don't consistently find ways to lose to unranked teams (no matter what
conference they're in), and find ways in those games to give it away, rather
than stepping up and putting the game away. The last 5-7 years, this program
is notorious for doing that at least one game every year. ...... That is not a
winning programs M.O. regardless of how many wins you compile in a single
season. Look back at each year, recall that one horrible loss to a team you
should have beaten, and mark it up as a win, and see where we would have
been now, vs Where we are. .... Boggles the mind.

NO.... Even the best programs don't ALWAYS win every game like that, and
there will be upsets along the way, but those stronger upper tier teams get
upset once every three / four years, rather than once or (sometimes) twice
a year. IMO, that is the next big hurdle this program needs to get over. To
prove it, we need a string of about 3-5 years where we win all the games
where supposed to win (favored to win), and occasionally pull off the win over
the ranked teams above us. Until we can do that, and not lose to the 3 and
4 win teams at the end of the year, then we still have a way to go before we
can say we are among the nation's best teams / programs.

SO..... my expectations are to see this team get over that one glaring aspect
that has haunted this team for a couple of decades now. AND I refuse to
measure in my mind, what this team should do during the season, before they
play the first game of each year. Do that and you'll go through your Gamecock
lifetime miserable more times than you will be celebrating during and after the
season. Don't over expect, just wish for the team to get better over the course
of a few years. We've done that over the past 10 years, but still have work to
do. Believe me, you'll end up a lot happier at the end of the year if you don't
"Expect".
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I think we already are contending for the SEC and/or National Title. We're one of 4 teams to have 11 wins over the past 3 seasons. We've been 1 game (all close) away from playing in the SEC with a chance of winning and playing for the NC.

In the SEC the difference between a National Championship and the Citrus Bowl is 1 bad play.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Spurt, I respect your opinion as much as anyone else on here. But, I don't know that your standard/expectation is very fair either. Just to draw a name out of the hat, Oklahoma has averaged 2.8 losses per year in the BCS era (1998- ). Yet, they've won all four BCS Bowl Games and a natty.

I understand that same success would be very improbable to obtain with the current state of SEC football. But, during much of that era...the Big 12 was no slouch either. They are a testament (IMO), that an athletic department can build a program that is financially profitable, win a lot of games, and fill up the trophy case even when they make some mistakes or lose winnable games.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I don't want to be like uga and tater fans who think they should win the national championship every year. I agree with Cack and Spurt that we need to keep improving one step at a time. I want to know that when we get to the SEC Championship Game that we can win it instead of getting blown out. Unless you are a Bama or FSU with a top 5 recruiting class every year (or can cheat as good as Auburn) it takes a lot of luck along with a great class of guys to win it all.
It used to be that you could get a good class of guys, and add to them a couple of years and by their senior year you could have a really good team. With the kids jumping to the NFL that doesn't happen anymore, so you have to get the best recruits you can. I really don't ever expect to win a National Championship at USC, but I do expect to beat the taters every year, and be competitive in the league. And who knows, the stars might actually align right one of these years, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #16
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I don't want to be like uga and tater fans who think they should win the national championship every year. I agree with Cack and Spurt that we need to keep improving one step at a time. I want to know that when we get to the SEC Championship Game that we can win it instead of getting blown out. Unless you are a Bama or FSU with a top 5 recruiting class every year (or can cheat as good as Auburn) it takes a lot of luck along with a great class of guys to win it all.
It used to be that you could get a good class of guys, and add to them a couple of years and by their senior year you could have a really good team. With the kids jumping to the NFL that doesn't happen anymore, so you have to get the best recruits you can. I really don't ever expect to win a National Championship at USC, but I do expect to beat the taters every year, and be competitive in the league. And who knows, the stars might actually align right one of these years, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
Good points. I think it is reasonable to expect us to make the SECCG and win it, then go to a BCS bowl and see what we can do...
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
lfowens
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
lfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurs

Point 1: I have been a die hard gamecock fan for 50 years and believe me when I say this - these are good times for the gamecock football.

Point 2: I have also been to a lot of other teams games in different places, and for sure we are some of the best supportive fans anywhere (and you don't really know how good your fans are until you loose a game) - lets stay that way.

Go Gamecocks!
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

You get tired of achieving the same mini-goals over and over again and nothing more. It ceases to have the same effect after a while. When you have a bunch of other teams flashing all their National and Conference Championship trophies in their Trophy cases, and sometimes trophy ROOMS, and you have none in yours, just a few Outback Bowl and Cap One Bowl and Liberty Bowl. That is why some like myself will be grumbling every year it fails to happen, because it is another dang year we will have wait when we already waited a lifetime.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
Point 1: I have been a die hard gamecock fan for 50 years and believe me when I say this - these are good times for the gamecock football.

Point 2: I have also been to a lot of other teams games in different places, and for sure we are some of the best supportive fans anywhere (and you don't really know how good your fans are until you loose a game) - lets stay that way.

Go Gamecocks!
And it could be over at any time, so we need to capitalize on it. Win a championship and you have some hard proof you are team that can actually be legitimate threat to do it again even if times are rough. It's important to do it at least once.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Yes.
I say SEC or bust next year.

We should've been in Atlanta the past two season, but blew it.
If they blow it again, but still manage 11 wins, it is a sign the program is stagnent, and can only go down.

Don't want to be dramatic, but next year has to be the year.
Florida will still be a mess.
Georgia is going to be down.
UT is still down.
Mizzou will lose a lot.
Vanderbilt shouldn't be a problem.
Vanderbilt shouldn't be a problem.

This team has no reason to not be in Atlanta next season.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote