CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
Ahmad
wumarshall82
b381l
Order 66
CockyGuy
Thoughts on Shawn El (1611)
10-2 (1560)
UK promoting a black (1375)
Time for a new coach (954)
Four UK Players Susp (861)
Coach Gaines: " (842)
Connor Shaw's fault. (584)
I Was Dealing With T (545)
Since everyone loves (457)
Build a New Stadium (455)
Connor Mitch
I Was Dealing With The Lo
QB Recruiting Strategy
Any prospects w/whom our
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
This program has no ideni
How much $$ would you lit
Just my 2 Cents
Gamecock cheerleader with

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Mike Davis Injury Concerns

First of all Mike was outstanding this year when he was healthy. Right there with the best backs in the country.

But it seemed that after he got hurt he started getting hurt almost every game. Did he just never get back to 100%?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mike Davis Injury Concerns

He hasn't been 100% in a while but he also needs help!from play calling and the OL. Like Lattimore, his success has been more from his efforts rather than the OL. Wrs block pretty well on the edges but RB can't get going before the line is pushed into the backfield.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Its imperative that we find another RB that can consistently perform. I really think Davis is a 15-20 carry a game back at best
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

His foot has been an issue. He will be fine after offseason.

Our run game play calling and line calls/play need to improve.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

Brendan Wilds is a very good rb and there's a freshman I believe we redshirted this year. O line is good not big like Wisconsin was. They were huge we need that big guys quick feet for both pass and run blocking.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
First of all Mike was outstanding this year when he was healthy. Right there with the best backs in the country.

But it seemed that after he got hurt he started getting hurt almost every game. Did he just never get back to 100%?
Really doesn't seem like it. He took a few hard hits yesterday, and I think it aggravated some existing things.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
He hasn't been 100% in a while but he also needs help!from play calling and the OL. Like Lattimore, his success has been more from his efforts rather than the OL. Wrs block pretty well on the edges but RB can't get going before the line is pushed into the backfield.
Mike Davis' production has been reduced by our lack of effective OL when teams started scheming against our running attack and force CS to beat them.....and it significantly decreased Mike's effectiveness.....and Mike's injuries certainly didn't help either. He sure doesn't appear to be nearly as explosive as he was earlier in the year.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
The Flash
Walk On

Male

The Flash is learning to peckThe Flash is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Mike Davis' production has been reduced by our lack of effective OL when teams started scheming against our running attack and force CS to beat them.....and it significantly decreased Mike's effectiveness.....and Mike's injuries certainly didn't help either. He sure doesn't appear to be nearly as explosive as he was earlier in the year.
I really expect Brendan Nosovitch to play some next year along with the starter, Dylan T. And, I suspect David Williams will be as used and as useful as Mike Davis was this year. Our coaches do NOT want to lose Connor's legs, and Noso will help to provide that spark. My humble opinion/prediction of course.
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

The guy was our workhorse back all season-especially with Wilds going down. The pounding got to him. That doesn't mean he's weak but we need to lighten the load next year with the carries so he can be that explosive back every time he touches the ball.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

He is not a 20+ carry back.

He is good for about 15 carries and 5-6 catches a game which is not a bad thing.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

it may have just been nagging injuries and/or bad luck. there are just sometimes when youre getting gang tackled that your foot gets caught in a bad position like it did on the play he went down in pain with against wisconsin though he was hobbling around a bit at times prior to that. because he is such a physical runner and he doesnt go down easy, we gotta hope he has some good luck the rest of his football career.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
I really expect Brendan Nosovitch to play some next year along with the starter, Dylan T. And, I suspect David Williams will be as used and as useful as Mike Davis was this year. Our coaches do NOT want to lose Connor's legs, and Noso will help to provide that spark. My humble opinion/prediction of course.
I do think Noso will get some playing time as a change of pace, but I don't see SOS trying to use Dylan in the same way as Connor. Plus SOS doesn't want Dylan hurt with no QB with any experience to back him up. I expect our offense to look more like Florida's offense when he was there.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I do think Noso will get some playing time as a change of pace, but I don't see SOS trying to use Dylan in the same way as Connor. Plus SOS doesn't want Dylan hurt with no QB with any experience to back him up. I expect our offense to look more like Florida's offense when he was there.
I agree. It's wise to give a backup some experience. He's only an injury away from starting.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
His foot has been an issue. He will be fine after offseason.

Our run game play calling and line calls/play need to improve.
We have been saying it for some time, but we need our o lineman to play nasty... need to develop that mean streak.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. Coach has loved having a quarterback that can bail us out when the receivers are all covered, avoiding an interception.

I want to see some game film of Noso running the ball.

I also think Pharo is going to get quite a bit of playing time for the exact same reason.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

It's amazing what you can get used to seeing. When Lattimore was healthy, he had no trouble carrying the ball 25 times a game, he was just that type of player. Mike Davis is a great back folks, he is built to carry the load. However, they can't all be like a Marcus Lattimore... He'll be fine with another offseason of healing and weights.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. Coach has loved having a quarterback that can bail us out when the receivers are all covered, avoiding an interception.

I want to see some game film of Noso running the ball.

I also think Pharo is going to get quite a bit of playing time for the exact same reason.
Wasn't it Noso that broke Terrell Pryors Pennsylvania QB rushing record? Not 100% sure.

Anyways unless he makes some more improvement passing i don't think he will be second string i believe it will be Mitch.

Edit: His stats in high school were Passing: 9249 yds 106tds rushing: 3617yds 62tds
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Lattimore seldom took full hits when tackled, but Davis has acted more like A FB at times, taking on tacklers and took and gave punishment. Big difference long term and short term.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

We need to let other backs get some reps because undoubtedly Davis will go early like most others are now doing.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #20
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
Brendan Wilds is a very good rb and there's a freshman I believe we redshirted this year. O line is good not big like Wisconsin was. They were huge we need that big guys quick feet for both pass and run blocking.
O-Line is as big as Wisconsin. Little know fact down here, but wrestling is very popular in the North/Midwest. Most of the lineman at Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. have a lot of wrestling experience, starting at a young age, I teaches leverage, etc., etc., and meanness.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote