CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
ReadR00ster
rosstheboss
Latti
Thenardier
ccured
roosterdude21
SterlingBrooks
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (2568)
Stadium Ratings-Site (977)
NBA Wants to Up Age (671)
HELP calculating acr (363)
How Experienced In P (356)
40 Ways You Know You (337)
South Carolina @ Aub (188)
Super-Efficient Ax (165)
Amazing a List of Us (150)
Holly Trees pruning (107)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #2
Playstation 4
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Where will we be preseaso
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Kelcy and Vic questioned
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Gamecock cheerleader with
South Carolina @ Auburn S

Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #241
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bruce Ellington Declares For NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I disagree. I think he has plenty of chemistry with Thompson. He did in the Clemson game last year. He would have been the leader on our offense. One more year like this one and he would be a household name. He is not that now.
Valid point but Thompson's favorite receiver is Jones.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #242
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post

Anyone doing anything but wishing him the best and thanking him for his hard work and outstanding play is being selfish.
I am wishing him the best, but that would be for him to stay another year, and I am sure that is what our coaches told him since he is not a first or second round pick, and it is known that our policy is that we advise people to return unless they are a first or second round pick.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #243
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Good for the kid. He left everything on that field every game. Cheers for Bruuuuuuuuuuce.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #244
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Valid point but Thompson's favorite receiver is Jones.
Really? What about the game winner against Michigan? Who did he throw to then?
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #245
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am wishing him the best, but that would be for him to stay another year, and I am sure that is what our coaches told him since he is not a first or second round pick, and it is known that our policy is that we advise people to return unless they are a first or second round pick.
I want to reiterate my post yesterday. He won't be a 1st/2nd round pick next year either. Not a knock on him at all, but he doesn't have those "measurables" that NFL teams look for in the first 2rds. 4th Rd at best this year and next year. Plus, he graduated in Dec.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #246
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

Congratulations to Bruce on his degree and hope he makes a good payday in the pros. He's a great gamecock and I've enjoyed watching him give his all.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #247
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Yeah because we've had several receivers step up this season, we'll be fine going forward with Ellington moving on. I remember the past seasons under Spurrier when we had perhaps one legit receiver and then after that wondered who'd step up: McKinley in '07 and '08, Alshon in '11. We'll have two legit deep threats next season in Byrd and Roland who have shown they can be go-to targets, plus a very good possession receiver in Jones. Plus Smith and Fuller will have opportunities to step up now: they can't use the excuse anymore that they don't know the playbook. Pharoh is a playmaker. And with the 3 receivers coming in of Davidson, Googer, and Samuel (supposedly another playmaker like Cooper), that's a lot of receiver talent. Let's go!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #248
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
He is going to have his degree this year or next. They can't take that away from him. My fear is he is going to be sitting at home, not playing wondering why he threw away his last year of eligibility. I really do think he can improve his stock. He played well enough, just didn't do it long enough. He was only starting to get a name for himself this year. He would have really shown his leadership qualities.

This is an NCAA rule I HATE by the way. The NCAA should have a process for rehabilitating eligibility of players for agents or any other violation made in anticipation of the NFL draft.
Absolutely agree w/ this.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #249
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
I want to reiterate my post yesterday. He won't be a 1st/2nd round pick next year either. Not a knock on him at all, but he doesn't have those "measurables" that NFL teams look for in the first 2rds. 4th Rd at best this year and next year. Plus, he graduated in Dec.
Yep. This is correct. This was the exact same for Sanders
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #250
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand you're wishing him the best and want to see him maximize his potential. I want to see that, too. He will be missed because he's exciting and an excellent football player. But it's his decision and (like others on here) I don't know how much higher his stock could realistically get.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #251
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

While I'm not sure this is the best move for him to make, I wish him all the best and hope he does well in the NFL. He should be proud of what he's accomplished at USC and I'm thankful for everything he did for both the football and basketball teams.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #252
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bruce Ellington to declare for NFL?

He graduated, so it's not like he's missing out on his education. I do wish he would return to improve draft stock though, being that the NFL is his true goal.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #253
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Not gonna be a great move when he goes undrafted. I appreciate everything he has done while here and I agree he doesn't owe the University anything else. But he'll be a 5th-6th round pick, at best.
It really doesn't matter if he goes undrafted because he will get picked up by an NFL team. The only guarantee being drafted in the late rounds gives you is a signing bonus and guarantee invite to a NFL training camp. He's going to be at a NFL training camp no matter what. He's got an excellent chance at making an NFL roster this year. So why not take the chance?

Quote:
To improve his draft stock. His stats are not all that impressive, and the WR class is loaded this year.
He's not going to improve his stock at all. He's not in the right offense, and he's not the right size. He's not incredibly fast, and he's not going to be used on special teams. Everything a man would need to improve his draft stock is simply not there for Bruce. However, like I've said in numerous post before - he is similar in size and speed to Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, and others who DID have the stats in college and still didn't get drafted. However they got signed as a FA pick up, and have been in the league quite a while now. The draft is awesome, but it's not a lifeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I see him going high third or low fourth in the draft.
I see him going 5th round or later, with a strong possibility of undrafted. But it doesn't matter, he's going to be on an NFL roster come training camp. Someone out there could use a strong slot receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Bruce is not going to get any better staying at USC. He has hit his ceiling at the college level. Its time for him to get paid and allow the younger guys to have a chance to develop.
Exactly.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #254
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

I figure its a mistake but he's been working hard this year, so if he keeps it up, who knows where he'll end up. He had some crazy circus catches this week so hopefully someone gives him a chance and he's able to make the most of it. Best of luck!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #255
Cruzer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Read that a while ago. I personally would be surprised if he got a top three round grade, but we never know.

I wish he would come back. Rarely do our skill players come back for their final year, but that's just me being selfish, I guess.
I wish he would come back too. But having the option to go pro early is a sign of a good college program!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #256
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24590296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Good luck Bruce!

He'll get picked up. He has the ultimate intangible... brains. The man knows how to play and is clearly coachable. He will be a solid professional.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #257
theo_robbins
4-Star

Male

theo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot material

Bruce was my favorite player on the team this year. He consistently gets wide the hell open, especially in the redzone. I figured he'd leave, I agree that he's maxed out his college ceiling, even if he goes 7th round (think Captain), there's nothing more he could really show to improve on that. Best of luck to Bruce, I'm just hoping he winds up in a good situation in the NFL and continues to kick ass.
theo_robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #258
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Good for Bruce. He is striking while the iron is hot. Hard to blame him for that. Wish him nothing but the best !!!
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #259
NinjaSven
Blue Chip

Male

NinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talons

I wish he would come back, but he needs to do what he feels is best for him. I'll gladly get behind whatever he chooses because he is smart enough to don on the Garnet and Black and give us a few years of great football. He has saved our butts on numerous occasions. If you are reading this Bruce, I say thank you!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #260
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

The University has now officially confirmed that Ellington is foregoing his final year and is announcing for the NFL draft. His FB and BB careers at USC are now done. Best wishes for the future, Bruce!

Quote:
Gamecock Athletics ‏@GamecocksOnline 8m Juniors Jadeveon Clowney, Kelcy Quarles, Victor Hampton, and Bruce Ellington have all declared for the NFL Draft. Best wishes #Gamecocks!