CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
3MTA3
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
usc90grad
bigdog2003
MWard
Cunningham wants to (1173)
ESPN article on Clow (775)
Clemson Georgia Game (658)
Fumble party (367)
New Led Zep releases (151)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (146)
Truly Inspiring (133)
2014 garnet and blac (84)
2 tickets for USC vs (8)
Chick Redefines the (0)
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Jordan Scarlett -
ESPN article on Clowney -
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock
2015 - Kaleb Kim
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB

Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #41
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: A look at next year's offense

You will see Dylan start with a healthy dose of Pharoh in the Wildcat. I do see Mitch getting real playing time. At RB, it will be Davis/Wilds/Williams. I think Bruce will be gone. But a WR core of Shaq R, Byrd, Pharoh and Nick Jones is a formidable group. With Jeffery and one of the new guys providing backup we are fine without Bruce (although I would rather have him). The OL is my concern. We have tons of talent back but the did not get much push this year. I don't know if it is our scheme or poor fundamentals. If the OL performs, our O should be a strength.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #42
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
You will see Dylan start with a healthy dose of Pharoh in the Wildcat. I do see Mitch getting real playing time. At RB, it will be Davis/Wilds/Williams. I think Bruce will be gone. But a WR core of Shaq R, Byrd, Pharoh and Nick Jones is a formidable group. With Jeffery and one of the new guys providing backup we are fine without Bruce (although I would rather have him). The OL is my concern. We have tons of talent back but the did not get much push this year. I don't know if it is our scheme or poor fundamentals. If the OL performs, our O should be a strength.
Seems like that's the thought process every offseason, but I agree. The offense really has a chance to be explosive if that unit plays well next year.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #43
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
TBS has reported that Smith will move back to CB in the spring.
Rainey moved to LB in the spring and moved back to TE when the new guys came in the summer.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #44
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
We could use the position more and work it in with a dynamic player like Crosby. Joe may very well end up at fb but I think he starts at lb first. The coaches will have to evaluate.
THey've already recruited him for FB.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #45
papaskids
Walk On

Male

papaskids has hatched from the shell

Just a thought.I wish we would develop and use a little bit of hurry up offense.I see a lot of the top contenders in college and pro use it from time to time.I think it would add a great deal to our offense.
papaskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #46
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Anyone else think Kwinton Smith may transfer? After not going to the bowl game I wonder. Also Shamir did a nice job trying to come back and make a play in the bowl game, hoping he puts it together next year.

I also think Clayton will be the starting C next year, O seemed to run smoother with him in the bowl game.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #47
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I am not concerned about WR...more concerned about QB. as another posted mentioned DT floats the ball, rather than throw it "on a rope"... if he is off slightly it could be long days..
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #48
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Dylan rips it when he needs to. See the Ace Sanders' TD against Clemson last year.

Dylan's problems are mechanical. His arm position gets out of wack sometimes and causes him to throw high. He is really going to have to work on that in the offseason as well as calming his feet down. Maybe it wasn't as noticeable last year but bouncing or chopping of the feet really stood out as something new to me this year. But as far as arm strength, there is no issue with that guy.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #49
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or more alignments used a lot next year with the spread being number 1, the pistol number 2, the I on short yardage, and the Wildcat used several times each game. In the pistol and spread, we might see Nosovich used as a change of pace guy - he's pretty thick and quick. I think Mitch will get snaps and possibly push Thompson for playing time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis, Wilds, and Williams as the top 3 at TB with Smith in the mix somewhere. I haven't seen any real evidence that Smith goes to CB despite the shortage there.
I'm intrigued with Blue at FB but it's not a position we actually use to carry the ball. It could be that he and Crosby get looks on O first and if they don't look sharp, given a shot at LB. Both were terrors on both sides of the ball this year, but I doubt either cracks the 2 deep before mid-season. At WR, they should get production from Shaq, Byrd, Nick, K Smith, and possibly Shamier. Brent, Fuller, and Whitehurst are probably wildcards - I hope a couple develop and produce. I think the freshmen will be in development.
Spring will be interesting.
What makes you think this?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #50
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Dylan rips it when he needs to. See the Ace Sanders' TD against Clemson last year.

Dylan's problems are mechanical. His arm position gets out of wack sometimes and causes him to throw high. He is really going to have to work on that in the offseason as well as calming his feet down. Maybe it wasn't as noticeable last year but bouncing or chopping of the feet really stood out as something new to me this year. But as far as arm strength, there is no issue with that guy.
It wasn't a deep throw, but I actually think the first TD to Ellington is a better example.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #51
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
The two I think will see a fair amount of snaps will be KJ Crosby and Deebo Samuel. Both those guys are good and will provide quality pt. It will be interesting to see how SOS chooses to use Crosby. I think Googer and Shaq will both be rs to transition them to full time WR....both played a lot of QB in hs.
I expect Samuel to be utilized very similarly to how Cooper was used this year.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #52
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaskids View Post
Just a thought.I wish we would develop and use a little bit of hurry up offense.I see a lot of the top contenders in college and pro use it from time to time.I think it would add a great deal to our offense.
I like this idea as well. It pushes the defense to be set earlier than they would like and it often prevents them from calling an audible to a different formation.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #53
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:

DT may have been studying Peyton Manning
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #54
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervous

One of our faults in the running game is that sometimes we start a game trying to open up the running game with our passing game. We take our token 12-15 yard shot down field to start the game and open the defense up. Then we start throwing a series of screens and 5-8 yard passes from the the shotgun all before a single run. Its not long before the defense starts crowding the box and then it is simply a numbers game. Run to set up the play action. Pass to spread the box thin. Its easy for a LB to think run first if every play is in front of him and his depth isn't challenged.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #55
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Googer didn't play QB this year or at the very least he split time between QB and WR.
He started at QB for Woodward most of the year.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #56
bobbycock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

The last two games proved just how much we need a versatile qb. Clemson and Wisconsin both shut down our running game. If not for Connor, I doubt if we would have won either game.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #57
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
DT may have been studying Peyton Manning
Was thinking that also... PM's feet never stop moving.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #58
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

I'm excited about Shaq Roland. I think he's going to have a monster season and work his way up draft boards. He's going to get targeted a lot I feel.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #59
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

I believe we'll see Connor Mitch eventually take the starting role, I just hope it's not at the expense of a loss. Sometimes Spurrier sticks with his "guy" a little too long before he decides to make a change. By the way, I'm not a DT hater, I just think Mitch is that good! But, really I'm more concerned about the defense than the offense. Lots of big shoes to fill.

GO COCKS!!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #60
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1667066
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

One thing I hope our coaches quit doing is calling for WR screens where Byrd has to block. His blocking skills are very poor. Id rather see him catch the ball instead.