CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
peterlemon
Kyle76
bcolinc
zcoop
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
garnet_black215
18IsTheMan
ecugrad
The Demise of the 3- (2222)
East Carolina Predic (1468)
Pirate Depth Chart (1322)
Why didn't Wes Green (1166)
A&M on 3rd down (569)
You guys are horribl (566)
Did we ever go after (517)
Finally Cooled Off (473)
louisville (414)
It's the offenses no (382)
East Carolina Prediction
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Tanner McEvoy should've s
Watching the Georgia game
Name a Gamecock
louisville
What would be your defini
Eastern Michigan's Concre
THIS is why we don't give
Gamecock football Long Te

Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Why can't student athletes get paid for their athletic ability or because of sports?

I ask because I think the answer is they would no longer be considered an amateur. But what sense does that make? I know lots of people who go to college to be in a certain field and get paid for working in that field while they're in school. Why is it different for athletes?

Is it because the other students I mentioned are working toward a degree in the field and NBA, NFL, and MLB aren't areas of study? That's the only thing I can figure, but that still doesn't make sense to me, so that's why I'm posing the sincere question to all of you.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why can't student athletes get paid for their athletic ability or because of spor

there is no rule that says that regular students have to be "amateurs" to go to school

the NCAA (as well as the NIAI and all of the other governing organizations), as the body that governs collegiate sports does have a rule that to compete in their competitions the players must be amateurs.
Gamecock303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why can't student athletes get paid for their athletic ability or because of spor

Because NCAA student athletes are not regular students. They get to play NCAA sanctioned sports and regular student don't on the condition they follow the rules. And The NCAA doesn't want any pro athletes.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

our mens basketball team got to enjoy a trip to hawaii for free

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
cockyville
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockyville has hatched from the shell

Whoever thinks that student athletes don't get paid has never had to pay for their child to go to college. If you figure in tuition, books, lab fees, housing, tutors, and team meals, not to mention the clothing that they are given, you will see that they are paid well. Just ask those that spend years and years paying off student loans $ $ $. Universities are well vested in their student athletes. My opinion, A university has a lot invested in a student athlete for 4 or more years. If an athlete doesn't stay his full term, I think he should be required to repay the cost of his tuition the time he was there.
cockyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

So, basically it's because we have the NCAA making some arbitrary rule? Yeah, that makes sense.

And to cockyville, athletes aren't the only ones who get full scholarships, so there are plenty of other students who get everything involved with school for free.