CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
ZenUSC
The Yancey
5lbYardcock
18IsTheMan
GH
StormOfTalons
ut_vols13
conwaycock2
garnet_black215
Gamecock football Lo (2135)
Mike Davis "dou (1846)
Gamecocks D staff re (1262)
The Demise of the 3- (1049)
who thinks we need a (960)
Pirate Depth Chart (914)
Past SEC Champions w (659)
Reginald Bowens (629)
Why didn't Wes Green (530)
Eastern Michigan's C (344)
East Carolina Prediction
New app: South Carolina G
Past SEC Champions who ha
Did we ever go after Kenn
Connor Shaw Browns
Eastern Michigan's Concre
Playstation 4
SOS Teleconference
The Demise of the 3-4
What's your take on our a

Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Willing to play certain FCS schools?

I'm watching North Dakota State play Towson, and it got me wondering something. NDS has a history of beating some FBS teams. How willing would you guys be to schedule NDS? I'm guessing most of you would be more than willing to put them on the schedule one year. But how about playing them in Fargo? Is the thought scary, or do you feel confident we would win the game regardless of venue?
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 600
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Willing to play certain FCS schools?

Man, that really would be the definition of a Trap Game.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

i mean anything can happen when you have to actually go out and play, but our guys would have to just flat out not care at all to lose to NDS... if you just take their players vs. our players giving equal effort Carolina would blow them out 10 out of 10 times in any stadium...
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Has to be a game that makes $$...it's business first.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
OfficeLinebackerCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I'm watching North Dakota State play Towson, and it got me wondering something. NDS has a history of beating some FBS teams. How willing would you guys be to schedule NDS? I'm guessing most of you would be more than willing to put them on the schedule one year. But how about playing them in Fargo? Is the thought scary, or do you feel confident we would win the game regardless of venue?

I can't think of any reason why SC would want to do that. Might be better to pose this question to the Playstation/Xbox crowd where something like that may make sense.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Has to be a game that makes $$...it's business first.
I'm not worried about any of that stuff. I just want to know how everyone would feel about the matchup, especially if it were played on their home field instead of WB.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebackerCock View Post
I can't think of any reason why SC would want to do that. Might be better to pose this question to the Playstation/Xbox crowd where something like that may make sense.

I think he meant hypothetically speaking, not talking money or actual chances of this really happening.

The OP is simply looking for what you're gut feeling would be before and during the game if we were to play at a historically great FCS school, like North Dakota State.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I think he meant hypothetically speaking, not talking money or actual chances of this really happening.

The OP is simply looking for what you're gut feeling would be before and during the game if we were to play at a historically great FCS school, like North Dakota State.
What he said.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

NDS is a good team. I am sad Towson couldnt give it more of a game, but they played some good football in the earlier playoff rounds. Their RB is pretty good...

I live about 2-5 minutes from Towson, can hear the crowd from their stadium at my house occasionally.

Anyway, I think we keep our FCS teams in state (Citadel, Furman, Coastal, etc). And thats OK
TKE226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

nope...absoutely nothing in it for us, makes their season to beat a team like us

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

My god, do you people seriously not get the question?

I don't want to answer this topic because I'm torn. I have so many opinions because it is such a hypothetical situation. But to show everyone who doesn't understand the question (or refuses to answer it correctly), I will give it my best shot.

Obviously I know that we can beat North Dakota State, and other premier FCS teams. However, depending on the stage of the game (beginning of the season, middle of season between SEC games, or end of season between SEC and Clemson) it could cause a bit of a stir in Columbia.

I mean shit, we could beat the brakes off everyone 100000000-0 every game and when we play Citadel 90% of our fans will act like little girls running around screaming that the big bad wolf is coming to town. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration...but still. I get that the Citadel, Wofford, and other FCS games are considered "trap" games. I completely understand that. But North Dakota State, and other premier FCS teams are way better than the Citadel, Wofford, and South Carolina State. Sorry for all those alumni and ex-players I just insulted by saying that, but in my opinion it's true.

For this instance I will pretend like we're about to play them in the middle of the season randomly between two SEC opponents. If it is late October, or early November and we have to travel up to North Dakota State (Fargo, ND), I would be pretty pissed off. (1) That's a far ass game to travel too. (2) Why the **** are we playing North Dakota State, one hell of a program, in the middle of an already tough SEC schedule? I'd rather play a crappy FBS team. (3) Why would we put ourselves in a situation where we have NOTHING to gain. We win, we beat an FCS team - hooray!?! We lose though, and it's all over ESPN, and other media outlets, and it's hanging over our head for the rest of the season.

I would go in worried - seriously worried. I would go into this game more worried that I would if we were in the playoff or National Championship simply due to the fact that we have nothing to gain from it. I would fear our players would realize this, and as much as we preached (as fans) and the coaches preached "Don't over look them", it's hard not to overlook a group of men that weren't even offered scholarships at podunk FBS schools. I would also fear that we would get off to a slow start, and the high energy of a team like NDS would have when they played a SEC power would drive us into a hole early. In these games I worry more about our offense than defense. I think our defense will forever take care of it's self just form simply being faster and stronger than most FCS teams we will ever play (Furman in 2010 did move the ball with ease on us for a little bit). However...unless NDS (or any premier FCS team) could put us in a HUGE hole due to self-inflicted mental errors, I feel like in the end the speed and strength would turn the game in the favor of us. It may take a little bit for our guys to get their heads in the game, but once they realize that this team isn't a joke, they'd take over and take care of business. The score on the field won't reflect how much better we really were on the field, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #12
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'd absolutely LOVE to see South Carolina play NDSU in the FargoDome. Not only because it would be a good game, but also because I live 93 miles from the Dome.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
My god, do you people seriously not get the question?

I don't want to answer this topic because I'm torn. I have so many opinions because it is such a hypothetical situation. But to show everyone who doesn't understand the question (or refuses to answer it correctly), I will give it my best shot.

Obviously I know that we can beat North Dakota State, and other premier FCS teams. However, depending on the stage of the game (beginning of the season, middle of season between SEC games, or end of season between SEC and Clemson) it could cause a bit of a stir in Columbia.

I mean shit, we could beat the brakes off everyone 100000000-0 every game and when we play Citadel 90% of our fans will act like little girls running around screaming that the big bad wolf is coming to town. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration...but still. I get that the Citadel, Wofford, and other FCS games are considered "trap" games. I completely understand that. But North Dakota State, and other premier FCS teams are way better than the Citadel, Wofford, and South Carolina State. Sorry for all those alumni and ex-players I just insulted by saying that, but in my opinion it's true.

For this instance I will pretend like we're about to play them in the middle of the season randomly between two SEC opponents. If it is late October, or early November and we have to travel up to North Dakota State (Fargo, ND), I would be pretty pissed off. (1) That's a far ass game to travel too. (2) Why the **** are we playing North Dakota State, one hell of a program, in the middle of an already tough SEC schedule? I'd rather play a crappy FBS team. (3) Why would we put ourselves in a situation where we have NOTHING to gain. We win, we beat an FCS team - hooray!?! We lose though, and it's all over ESPN, and other media outlets, and it's hanging over our head for the rest of the season.

I would go in worried - seriously worried. I would go into this game more worried that I would if we were in the playoff or National Championship simply due to the fact that we have nothing to gain from it. I would fear our players would realize this, and as much as we preached (as fans) and the coaches preached "Don't over look them", it's hard not to overlook a group of men that weren't even offered scholarships at podunk FBS schools. I would also fear that we would get off to a slow start, and the high energy of a team like NDS would have when they played a SEC power would drive us into a hole early. In these games I worry more about our offense than defense. I think our defense will forever take care of it's self just form simply being faster and stronger than most FCS teams we will ever play (Furman in 2010 did move the ball with ease on us for a little bit). However...unless NDS (or any premier FCS team) could put us in a HUGE hole due to self-inflicted mental errors, I feel like in the end the speed and strength would turn the game in the favor of us. It may take a little bit for our guys to get their heads in the game, but once they realize that this team isn't a joke, they'd take over and take care of business. The score on the field won't reflect how much better we really were on the field, if you know what I mean.

That's very similar to the way I feel about it. I feel like we could beat them on any field, but the timing of playing them -- especially in Fargo -- would be critical. The way we currently have the FCS team we play scheduled, it's basically used as an extra bye week before we play CU. But even if we played NDS for the opening game it would be a dangerous game for us. SHOULD we beat them handily? Absolutely, but we also couldn't afford to go into the game thinking a win for us is a lock, because NDS is a legitimately good team, even if they are an FCS school.

I like the way you said if we win people would say, "Congratulations. You just beat an FCS team," but acknowledged it would also be major news if NDS were to pull off the upset. The same scenario exists when we play any FCS team, but it's far less likely the upset will happen against the likes of Citadel and SC State. The thought of playing a true power from that level (3 consecutive national championships now and several upsets of FBS schools over the years) is simply a way to gauge the confidence level of our fan base, especially when considering the thought of not being in the friendly confines of WB.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
That's very similar to the way I feel about it. I feel like we could beat them on any field, but the timing of playing them -- especially in Fargo -- would be critical. The way we currently have the FCS team we play scheduled, it's basically used as an extra bye week before we play CU. But even if we played NDS for the opening game it would be a dangerous game for us. SHOULD we beat them handily? Absolutely, but we also couldn't afford to go into the game thinking a win for us is a lock, because NDS is a legitimately good team, even if they are an FCS school.

I like the way you said if we win people would say, "Congratulations. You just beat an FCS team," but acknowledged it would also be major news if NDS were to pull off the upset. The same scenario exists when we play any FCS team, but it's far less likely the upset will happen against the likes of Citadel and SC State. The thought of playing a true power from that level (3 consecutive national championships now and several upsets of FBS schools over the years) is simply a way to gauge the confidence level of our fan base, especially when considering the thought of not being in the friendly confines of WB.
My confidence level for out program is higher when we play top 10 teams than it is when we play low-level teams. When we play top 10 teams (road or home) I feel like our players know the importance of the game, and will give 100%. When it's a Troy, or Citadel, I feel like at the start of the game they only give 50%, and it works it's way up to 100% by end of the second quarter.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Sorry but I prefer Spurrier's philosophy that if you're going to pay a Div 2 (or whatever it's called now) school make it a in-state school to help there athletic dept. make some money. SC St, Wofford, Furman, Coastal Car. are all just a bus ride away so almost all of that money goes to help all there sports. There is absolutely nothing to gain by paying a ND ST. to come here but a lot to lose for our states smaller schools.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
My confidence level for out program is higher when we play top 10 teams than it is when we play low-level teams. When we play top 10 teams (road or home) I feel like our players know the importance of the game, and will give 100%. When it's a Troy, or Citadel, I feel like at the start of the game they only give 50%, and it works it's way up to 100% by end of the second quarter.
This is hilarious to me because I sometimes think I'm the only person who feels this way. There's something to be said for the "nothing to lose" mentality. Of course, now that we're consistently one of the better teams in college football, we do stand to lose a little more than we used to.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #17
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Sorry but I prefer Spurrier's philosophy that if you're going to pay a Div 2 (or whatever it's called now) school make it a in-state school to help there athletic dept. make some money. SC St, Wofford, Furman, Coastal Car. are all just a bus ride away so almost all of that money goes to help all there sports. There is absolutely nothing to gain by paying a ND ST. to come here but a lot to lose for our states smaller schools.
Read the question again. I'm asking how confident would you and others be if we played NDS in Fargo, ND.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #18
doccock
Super Doc

Male

CockyCash: 500
doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Regardless of how good they are at their level. There is absolutely no incentive to play FCS schools in the future. The new NCAA playoff takes SOS into account and FCS schools won't be of any help in that regard.
doc
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
Regardless of how good they are at their level. There is absolutely no incentive to play FCS schools in the future. The new NCAA playoff takes SOS into account and FCS schools won't be of any help in that regard.
doc
Do you believe that though? Honestly? For example what if the top 10 in football next season look like this:

1. Alabama (13-0) SOS 21
2. Stanford (13-0) SOS 33
3. LSU (11-1) SOS 28
4. Ohio State (13-0) SOS 62
5. South Carolina (12-1) SOS 18
6. Auburn (10-2) SOS 17
7. Florida St (10-2) SOS 36
8. Michigan State (10-2) SOS 42
9. Boise St (9-3) SOS 39
10. TCU (9-3) SOS 20

Obviously every single thing you see right there is made up, but my point is - hypothetically, if that were all real. Do you really think the people on the board would say "Well, I guess we're going to pick South Carolina over Ohio State!" Yeah, I'll believe THAT when I see it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #20
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

I think SC (SEC era and under Spurrier) wins 9 out of 10 games against any FCS champions, there is simply too much discrepancy in talent levels and depth. I think we would lose about 10% of the time simply because there are some very good, complete, well disciplined FCS teams, with strong systems in place. We would lose at some point to one of those teams, but it wouldn't be often.

Now I mention SEC era SC teams, because our football program has improved dramatically since we joined the SEC, especially under Spurrier. The program before our SEC involvement, I would probably say would have won maybe 7 out of 10 games if we played at a home-field of a FCS champion. Having attended Furman during the 80's, I had some first hand insight one of the top Division 1-AA schools for the decade (two second place finishes, and one national championship in 1988). Between 1982 - 85, we beat SC, Georgia Tech and NC State (twice) -- while obviously always playing on the road. If we had a chance to play a Division 1-A school on our home field (taking away their home field advantage), I would have put our odds of victory at about a 50-50 chance against most schools, (excluding a Big George or Herschel team). At that time, Furman had well disciplined teams, that never beat themselves and were extremely well coached (Dick Sheridan and Jimmy Satterfield).

To those who say we would win 10 out of 10 games played against an FCS champion team on their home field, they are simply delusional. If you start looking at schools that have been dominant for an extended period of time, it's because they are good. They have continuity in their coaching staffs, have a developed program, and have recruited athletes that fit their systems. The current SC program should win 9 out of 10 games played against that sort of team in an away game, but we don't win 10 out of 10.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote