CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
Cockyteg
kevhugh
eatlighting
Latti
Spurrier was Embaras (2149)
ECU is a good team (1648)
Spurrier not happy s (1634)
Is it possible for o (1547)
Why we'll dominate C (1402)
More David Williams (1385)
Lammons out (1093)
Alabama vs Florida. (1084)
ECU is a good team (974)
Our wide receivers w (799)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Well, as it turns out, we
More David Williams Pleas
Curse of the Chicken
Why Weren't We Better Pre
My guess is
Tonight's ugly win was in
Is anyone really surprise
Is it possible for our Sp
Softball splits two with

Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Eug Cock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Eug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming in
Default Have we turned the corner?

We had a little hiccup against SC State but overall we've looked pretty good/better in the last few games.

Are we seeing real improvement?

Still too soon to tell?

Is this Frank's system working?

I hope so and I can't wait to see us in SEC play!
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Have we turned the corner?

Going to find out against Florida in the O-Dome.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Still too soon to tell.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

We've seen some improvement, sure, but it's too soon to tell if we've turned the corner. We'll see how far we've come when we play the Gators.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Yes we are improved. That being said, we're not going to be able to hang in there against Florida on the road
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
Eug Cock
Walk On

Male

Eug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming in

Yeah...I'm not expecting to go whoop up on Florida necessarily.
I guess I'm asking if we're showing that we can be consistently competitive.
That is, playing close to our potential on a regular basis.
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I think we need to see the first few games of the conference schedule to know.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug Cock View Post
We had a little hiccup against SC State but overall we've looked pretty good/better in the last few games.

Are we seeing real improvement?

Still too soon to tell?

Is this Frank's system working?

I hope so and I can't wait to see us in SEC play!
Our defense was atrocious against SC State. We gave up 17 offensive rebounds and were outrebounded overall. We allowed SCST to score 1.1 points per possession, which was the highest output their team has had all year. We can't play poorly against Florida and expect to be in the game.

I do think there has been improvement. I think L-Chat should see the floor a little more than he has as he's been extremely productive offensively and defensively. I'm very pleased with guard play and if we can get Sin to settle down offensively we will be a tough team to play for the lack of experience we have.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I expect this team to be VERY inconsistent. I think we may get a surprise win here or there and potentially get blown out a few as well. This team is young, with a lack of scorers and shooters. We simply don't have enough talent to be .500 in the SEC.

We have turned the corner and and entered the freeway going in the wrong direction.

We still need two more years of recruiting and development.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I expect this team to be VERY inconsistent. I think we may get a surprise win here or there and potentially get blown out a few as well. This team is young, with a lack of scorers and shooters. We simply don't have enough talent to be .500 in the SEC.

We have turned the corner and and entered the freeway going in the wrong direction.

We still need two more years of recruiting and development.
I would change talent to development. We're not really so devoid of talent, that we can't beat teams in the SEC. Maybe to win a championship, but to be .500 in the SEC I think we just lack experience and development.

Frank Martin has shown he doesn't have to have the cream of the crop to win, you just have to fit his system and buy in to what he's teaching. He never fantastic recruiting classes at KSU, although he did have 2 five star recruits. He's already got one five star in Sin, and a legit shot at two more in Seventh and Dozier. He's recruited 2 top 150 players in Stroman and Blanton. With the talent we are getting he will have enough to work with to win in the SEC.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #11
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Yes, we've improved, but no, we aren't ready to make a run for the conference title.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

no way we are gonna struggle big time in conference play maybe 3 wins max

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #13
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Depends on what your measure for improvement is.

If you want a comparison:

Offensive rating:

2012: 98.1 / 2013: 107.2 (+9.1)

Defensive rating:

2012: 102.3 / 2013: 99.0 (+3.3)

So, there are some strides being made. I'm not sure what to expect in conference play. We have one of the youngest teams in the conference, so we might be prone to losing a lot more. I'll say this though, our effort is much better overall. Defensively the players are making the right rotations, contesting shots, recovering to shooters, and trusting one another. On offense, the shot selection is better, we move the ball better, and we have better ball handlers and playmakers with the additions of Thornwell, Notice and Johnson.

I like our team going forward. We're not going to be world beaters this season, but they are definitely becoming more of a traditional Frank Martin team. I'm hoping for the best in SEC play.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #14
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

When we get into the NIT. They we turned the corner.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #15
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

We have a long way to go but I am encouraged and feel frank is the answer. He just needs time like SOS did. The football team had talent but no depth. The bball team was left with very little of either.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #16
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Haven't turned the corner but I feel that we've started getting into the curve. Long way to go yet with many inconsistencies but there is at least improvement and it looks like the players are buying into the system

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote