CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
KaneisAble
GamecockSuperFan
DTGCOCKS#32
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
The Yancey
Pw00132
carolinacocky
HBC Weekly Presser (1249)
Thompson Has Neck In (1109)
Funny? (1031)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (623)
What fish do you eat (576)
KY Suspends 4 Player (512)
Clowney didnt get ma (424)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (372)
4th & 1 Play (348)
Funny?
State talent drying up
QB Recruiting Strategy
HBC Weekly Presser
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Thompson Has Neck Injury
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #21
ultimatetailgater
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater
Default Re: beat 2 BCS winners

lol @ the number of people who don't know that the cotton bowl isn't in the BCS.
ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
Cocky Mike
4-Star

Male

Cocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
lol @ the number of people who don't know that the cotton bowl isn't in the BCS.
I know it is killing me....isnt the compass and godaddy bowl in the BCS I mean they are played after new years day
Cocky Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
GamecockinILL
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
GamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
There are rarely 4 teams who really deserve to be in the discussion of the national championship and there are never 8 teams who do.
Couldn't disagree more. Does everyone realize that the 8 bowl games that commenced on New Years Day and ended with the Orange Bowl had 6, count 'em...6...UNDERDOG winners (including us). In fact, the last 5 were all won by the underdog.

How much proof does ANYONE need to confirm the need for at least an 8 team playoff? Rankings are so freaking biased it's ridiculous. We are the ONLY team to beat 3 top 15 BCS ranked teams and we still barely crack the top 10 before the bowls...and don't be surprised if we don't move up more than a couple of spots.

REPUTATION, REPUTATION, REPUTATION! It can't win you a championship, but it can dang sure nearly get you a spot in it. I'm sick of it. I'm ready for a real championship than can be won on the field, not because of rep or preseason hype, but hey...that's just me.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
There are rarely 4 teams who really deserve to be in the discussion of the national championship and there are never 8 teams who do.
2011 is the best example I could think about off the top of my head.

In 2011 (PRE-BOWL)

- LSU lost 0 games.
- Alabama lost 1 game (to LSU).
- Arkansas lost 2 games (to LSU, Alabama).
- Oregon lost 2 games (to LSU, Southern Cal).
- Stanford lost 2 games (to Oregon, Oklahoma St.)
- Southern Cal lost 2 games (Stanford, Arizona St.)
- Boise St lost 1 game (to TCU)
- South Carolina lost 2 games (Auburn and Arkansas)

The combined record of these 8 teams was 84-12.
Out of the 12 losses 8 of them were to teams in the final top 8...
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #25
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
There is a reason basketball is referred to as a tournament and that's because in the end all you have is a tournament champion. They may have decided a true champion back when it was conference winners only playing but now it only serves to make extra money for the NCAA and CBS. As soon as they start putting in at large teams you lost a big part of the "championship" aspect.

If football realigned to regional conferences and then set up a playoff with 8 winners that would be fine. As long as you have a committee deciding things you're accomplishing nothing. Have you even seen the collection of people who will now be deciding who's going to play in this 4 team tournament?
The only reason why at large bids are in place is, because it's a fact a conference in football like the SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, B1G, has a couple of teams each year that don't win the conference that could dominate a conference like the MWC, MAC, Conference USA, or the Sunbelt. This goes for Basketball as well, You can't tell me that there aren't more than a few teams in the ACC, and Big 12 that could take out any of the smaller conferences.

A 16-24 team playoff is a good compromise for letting in the smaller conference champs, and letting at large bids in. 10 Conferences are in Division 1, this leaves 6-14 spots at large bids.

It's better to get a diverse committee instead of the biased media into play any day though. I just hope these folks focus on games instead of stats. Stats ruin everything in football. If people saw Clowney's impact on the field instead of looking at his Sacks/TFL he would be going to NY for a chance at the Heisman. He was the most schemed against player in football history.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockinILL View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Does everyone realize that the 8 bowl games that commenced on New Years Day and ended with the Orange Bowl had 6, count 'em...6...UNDERDOG winners (including us). In fact, the last 5 were all won by the underdog.

How much proof does ANYONE need to confirm the need for at least an 8 team playoff? Rankings are so freaking biased it's ridiculous. We are the ONLY team to beat 3 top 15 BCS ranked teams and we still barely crack the top 10 before the bowls...and don't be surprised if we don't move up more than a couple of spots.

REPUTATION, REPUTATION, REPUTATION! It can't win you a championship, but it can dang sure nearly get you a spot in it. I'm sick of it. I'm ready for a real championship than can be won on the field, not because of rep or preseason hype, but hey...that's just me.
We were ranked higher than Wisconsin so the fact we were underdogs was on Vegas not the polls. Besides if we wanted to be in the NC picture all we had to do is beat Tenn. I don't care how good we played before or after losing to Tenn should put you out of the mix. You want to win your way in not be someone's charity case.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #27
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
2011 is the best example I could think about off the top of my head.

In 2011 (PRE-BOWL)

- LSU lost 0 games.
- Alabama lost 1 game (to LSU).
- Arkansas lost 2 games (to LSU, Alabama).
- Oregon lost 2 games (to LSU, Southern Cal).
- Stanford lost 2 games (to Oregon, Oklahoma St.)
- Southern Cal lost 2 games (Stanford, Arizona St.)
- Boise St lost 1 game (to TCU)
- South Carolina lost 2 games (Auburn and Arkansas)

The combined record of these 8 teams was 84-12.
Out of the 12 losses 8 of them were to teams in the final top 8...
So why should a team that's already beaten a big chunk of the other teams have to beat them again? Why should a team that lost 2 games still be given a shot just to fill slots?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #28
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
The only reason why at large bids are in place is, because it's a fact a conference in football like the SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, B1G, has a couple of teams each year that don't win the conference that could dominate a conference like the MWC, MAC, Conference USA, or the Sunbelt. This goes for Basketball as well, You can't tell me that there aren't more than a few teams in the ACC, and Big 12 that could take out any of the smaller conferences.

A 16-24 team playoff is a good compromise for letting in the smaller conference champs, and letting at large bids in. 10 Conferences are in Division 1, this leaves 6-14 spots at large bids.

It's better to get a diverse committee instead of the biased media into play any day though. I just hope these folks focus on games instead of stats. Stats ruin everything in football. If people saw Clowney's impact on the field instead of looking at his Sacks/TFL he would be going to NY for a chance at the Heisman. He was the most schemed against player in football history.
So your cool with Condoleeza Rice having a say in the college football championship over someone whose career had been football?

I agree that the second place team in the SEC is most likely better than the CUSA champ but they had their chance to win their conference but didn't. I don't see how you could ever feel you had a real champ if the #2 team from a conference wins.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #29
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So why should a team that's already beaten a big chunk of the other teams have to beat them again? Why should a team that lost 2 games still be given a shot just to fill slots?

So...do you dislike March Madness too? I mean it's the same concept. North Carolina plays Duke during the regular season, they have a chance to play them again in the ACC tournament, and then again in the NCAA tournament.

It's all about fair neutral ground. Sure, Team A might beat Team B at home, but what if they played away? Put them on a netural field and see what happens.

If we would've played Georgia this season on a neutral field, do you think the outcome would change? How about Tennessee? How about Clemson? Neutral field takes the majority of crowds out of it - turns the game into a momentum thing. Home teams always have an advantage in momentum.

Football is one of the only NCAA team sports that fails to have a playoff. Why? Because of $$$ and the NCAA is so damn crooked that they don't care to fix it. Until now that people have complained so much.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #30
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Money is the reason to move to a playoff. Do you realize how much cash is going to come from the TV deal? That's the primary reason the basketball tournament has expanded.

As I said before the basketball tournament in its original format of conference champions was a good measure but it's far too watered down at this point. It's simply about entertainment value now.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #31
FearThethumbandDJ
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

I guess this puts the "SEC only schedules cupcakes" argument to rest. LOL we probably had one of the toughest OOC schedules in the nation
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #32
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

BC5

Beat clemmons 5
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #33
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Money is the reason to move to a playoff. Do you realize how much cash is going to come from the TV deal? That's the primary reason the basketball tournament has expanded.

As I said before the basketball tournament in its original format of conference champions was a good measure but it's far too watered down at this point. It's simply about entertainment value now.
College Baseball Playoff:
298 teams
56 spots in the tournament (18.7%)
8 Go to Final (2.6%)

College Basketball Playoff:
351 teams
68 Go to Tournament (19.4%)
Elite 8 (2.3%)
Final 4 (1.1%)

College Football Playoff:
123 teams
4 Go to Tournament (3.2%)

Do you see the HUGE drop off in teams that are eligible for the Championship? In Basketball and Baseball it's upwards of 20%. In Football? Ah **** all you, 3% of you have a shot at the National Championship!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #34
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

It shouldn't be an award for participation. You want in win your conference. As I said before I'm not opposed if your only going to go with conference winners but the 2nd or 3rd place team just doesn't need to be there.