CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
rolinb1
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
HUGEGARNETCOCK
jebodiah
b381l
2016 Commitment - Ja (2668)
TJ Holloman (1403)
Gameday Garnet Polo (1088)
Spurrier accepts coc (1074)
They are coming to y (885)
How are we feeling a (597)
We lost a great Game (525)
2013 game vs TN is o (431)
Hard Knocks this wee (383)
"Penis Collecto (246)
QB Kenny Hill named start
2013 game vs TN is on SEC
texags
Connor Shaw Browns
TJ Holloman
Favorite Gamecock of all-
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Name a Gamecock
Spurrier accepts cockys c
Browns announce Hoyer as

Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #141
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where do we finish in the polls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
Everybody is worked up because they didn't belong playing in the Orange Bowl! How in the hell does Clemson play for the Orange Bowl as the 12th ranked team in the country while we play in the Capital One Bowl? It defies rationality, and everyone knows it including Clemson fans. At least the last time they played in that game they won the ACC, which they didn't do this year. So, they aren't good enough to win the ACC, but they are good enough to play in the Orange Bowl?
You nailed it!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #142
Socom Elite
Walk On

Male

Socom Elite has hatched from the shell

Clempson made themselves look out of control and lacked dicipline. It was a sloppy game with tons of stupid penalties. Dabos weeney is a douche and I remember him saying before the game "everyone knows the BCS bowl games are for the best of the best". That dude is delusional. Tajh's stats are filled with 1 yd screen passes where Sammy takes it 15 yards. He has the ability to go down field, but he makes stupid decisions under pressure.
Socom Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #143
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Everybody is worked up because they didn't belong playing in the Orange Bowl! How in the hell does Clemson play for the Orange Bowl as the 12th ranked team in the country while we play in the Capital One Bowl? It defies rationality, and everyone knows it including Clemson fans. At least the last time they played in that game they won the ACC, which they didn't do this year. So, they aren't good enough to win the ACC, but they are good enough to play in the Orange Bowl?
Automatic qualifiers ruined the BCS. How the NCAA did not see it coming is beyond me. Automatic qualifiers for the BCS bowls (top tier bowls - aka the best bowls) is equivelent to giving the winners of the SEC/ACC/Big12/Pac12 baseball tournaments automatic bids to Omaha - or the Elite 8 in basketball. Just doesn't work that way.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #144
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
It's all good. Take a look at Jesse Palmer's take on Clemsux. He ain't the only national guy to think that way. Them going to the Orange Bowl made for a good storyline with the Woody Hayes punch 35 years ago. Like I said in another post, if you ain't playing this Monday night it's just another bowl game.

Knock, knock
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #145
kevhugh
Game MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I'm seriously concerned that Oklahoma will jump us. I think there's about an 80% chance of that.

Now, what say you.

Is it possible for other teams to jump us?
Clemson?
UCF?
Missouri?

These three teams had much more high profile wins than us in bowl season, and I don't see the pollsters being smart enough to realize or compare our head to head match ups with these teams.

Does Alabama and Auburn (if they lose) stay ahead of us too?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but staying the same or dropping in the polls while these teams pass us would be a nightmare at this point.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #146
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhugh View Post
Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I'm seriously concerned that Oklahoma will jump us. I think there's about an 80% chance of that.

Now, what say you.

Clemson?
UCF?
Missouri?

These three teams had much more high profile wins than us in bowl season, and I don't see the pollsters being smart enough to realize or compare our head to head match ups with these teams.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but staying the same or dropping in the polls while these teams pass us would be a nightmare at this point.
I just don't see Auburn losing to FSU, but crazier things have happened. Just from this point on, I believe we will be ranked 5th in both polls.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #147
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Now, what say you.

Clemson?
UCF?
Missouri?

Concerned? Why are you concerned? Is this going to majorly change your life or something? It's the final ranking of a season where we went 11-2...and won our bowl game. Who cares if someone jumps us? Am I the only one that doesn't really care that much about our final ranking? I can't be...

Games are won on the field - not in the polls.
Recruits are won over in the living rooms - not in the polls.
History is made on the field - not in the polls.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #148
kevhugh
Game MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Concerned? Why are you concerned? Is this going to majorly change your life or something? It's the final ranking of a season where we went 11-2...and won our bowl game. Who cares if someone jumps us? Am I the only one that doesn't really care that much about our final ranking? I can't be...

All valid points, however I would argue that these polls create a sense of momentum (rightly or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly) which could cause a problem for our coaches in the living rooms of some of these recruits.

I guess it's boils down to a desire for the team to continue moving forward and ensure that these past three years weren't the high water mark for the program. Yes, we've had the best three consecutive years in the history of the program, yet we have very little to show for them other than three nice bowl wins and consecutive 11-2 seasons. I'd really like to see Spurrier rewarded for his hard work by winning at least one SEC title before he retires. This is not meant to take away from what he has done already.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #149
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
All valid points, however I would argue that these polls create a sense of momentum (rightly or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly) which could cause a problem for our coaches in the living rooms of some of these recruits.

I guess it's boils down to a desire for the team to continue moving forward and ensure that these past three years weren't the high water mark for the program. Yes, we've had the best three consecutive years in the history of the program, yet we have very little to show for them other than three nice bowl wins and consecutive 11-2 seasons. I'd really like to see Spurrier rewarded for his hard work by winning at least one SEC title before he retires. This is not meant to take away from what he has done already.

Touché.

Don't get me wrong either. I understand the want and desire to be ranked high.

Sent from iPhone, please excuse minor grammatical errors.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #150
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

perspective on Gamecocks,Tigers and SEC r from SC alum and SC born eyes and final order much more so based on how teams performed and against whom (strenth of schedule to include significantly bowl performance and opponent) and based less on where they were ranked in the final reg season top 25:

If Champ bowl is typical: top 3 r 1) winner,2) Mich St,3) loser
If nail bitter... top 3 r 1)winner, 2) loser, 3)Mich state
followed by:
4/5) sc and mizz:
argument for SC as 4...defeat ranked bowl opp by douible digits, 7 reg season opponents in bowls, 6 win. including wins over 2 BCS opponents both bowl champs. Wins over up to 5 of the final top 25 ... based on Vandy's 9-4, dominating win elevating them into top 25 and Wisc hanging in top 25. Head to head W vs mizz. And finally wins over 3 opponents possibly finishing in (certainly near) the final top 10... Mizz, UCF and CU

argument for Mizz @ #4: east champ, 12 wins vs 11, came in 8th vs our 9th.

#6 OK, #7 Oregon, #8 Ucf, #9 Bama,#10 CU, #11 Stanford,#12 UCLA, #13 baylor #14 OHS, #15 Tam, #16 LSU, #17 Southern cal,#18 OKS, 19 AST, #20 nebraska, #21 Ariz #22 vandy, #23 OLDMiss, #24 Wash.#25 Wisc
last thing, I noted if champ game ws typical or a nail bitter.. if it turns out to b a grab the klenex, catch the snot, blow out then...
champ winner #1, Mich St #2, South Carolina #3, loser #4. one can dream. WVP

Last edited by boness; 01-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #151
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post

All good points......We hae not control over the final polls so I am not going to worry. A month ago, I said that I would be very happy to beat Clemson and win our bowl (even though it would have been nice to sneak into the SEC Championship game also), so I am happy with our season - Go COCKS!....Already looking forward to our 2014 season!
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #152
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

I seriously doubt a recruit says I will sign with you if u finish 5th but not 6th. Doesn't work that way. It matters more if we put players in the NFL, if they an plAy early and if the program is a winner. We do all 3.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #153
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
perspective on Gamecocks,Tigers and SEC r from SC alum and SC born eyes and final order much more so based on how teams performed and against whom (strenth of schedule to include significantly bowl performance and opponent) and based less on where they were ranked in the final reg season top 25:

If Champ bowl is typical: top 3 r 1) winner,2) Mich St,3) loser
If nail bitter... top 3 r 1)winner, 2) loser, 3)Mich state
followed by:
4/5) sc and mizz:
argument for SC as 4...defeat ranked bowl opp by douible digits, 7 reg season opponents in bowls, 6 win. including wins over 2 BCS opponents both bowl champs. Wins over up to 5 of the final top 25 ... based on Vandy's 9-4, dominating win elevating them into top 25 and Wisc hanging in top 25. Head to head W vs mizz. And finally wins over 3 opponents possibly finishing in (certainly near) the final top 10... Mizz, UCF and CU

argument for Mizz @ #4: east champ, 12 wins vs 11, came in 8th vs our 9th.

#6 OK, #7 Oregon, #8 Ucf, #9 Bama,#10 CU, #11 Stanford,#12 UCLA, #13 baylor #14 OHS, #15 Tam, #16 LSU, #17 Southern cal,#18 OKS, 19 AST, #20 nebraska, #21 Ariz #22 vandy, #23 OLDMiss, #24 Wash.#25 Wisc
last thing, I noted if champ game ws typical or a nail bitter.. if it turns out to b a grab the klenex, catch the snot, blow out then...
champ winner #1, Mich St #2, South Carolina #3, loser #4. one can dream. WVP
That would be real nice to finish in the top 3, thats all im really still hoping for from this season.
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #154
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet/Black Fan View Post
That would be real nice to finish in the top 3, thats all im really still hoping for from this season.
That would be nice but Santa has come and gone. Not gonna happen this year I'm afraid
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #155
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
I just don't see Auburn losing to FSU, but crazier things have happened. Just from this point on, I believe we will be ranked 5th in both polls.
You seen FSU play?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #156
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
You seen FSU play?
Yes, I have seen them play crappy teams from the ACC all year, excluding Clemson, but they won't be able to handle AU rushing attack. Not the least bit. Besides, behind Spurrier, I believe Malzahn is a freaking genius.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #157
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
You seen FSU play?
Good question Flame.

I have another. Have you seen FSU play anyone really good this year? I consider Clemson pretty good but that's about it. They did smoke everyone and looked great doing it.

This game is a big unknown to me but on paper FSU looks like a big favorite.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #158
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes, I have seen them play crappy teams from the ACC all year, excluding Clemson, but they won't be able to handle AU rushing attack. Not the least bit. Besides, behind Spurrier, I believe Malzahn is a freaking genius.
Spurrier still has moments of brilliance, but I honestly think Malzahn's system is better. It's a little more one-dimensional, but it's still extremely effective. How else could they put up huge numbers on practically every opponent?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #159
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Can Aubie do more than score? Can they stop the Criminoles?

I hope so but their defense has been ok at best.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #160
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Can Aubie do more than score? Can they stop the Criminoles?

I hope so but their defense has been ok at best.
You're being far too kind, Regal.