CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ReadR00ster
rosstheboss
Latti
Bobby Boucher
donbgamecock
ConwayGamecock
usc1
Regalcock
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (2674)
BREAD (522)
Sindarius Thornwell (340)
Dress shirt help (335)
Starz Black Sails (274)
Best Child Acting Pe (236)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (168)
South Carolina @ Aub (110)
Well gameday just go (105)
Unsung Hero (84)
Kelcy and Vic questioned
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Grill 225 (Market Pavilli
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
South Carolina @ Auburn S
Name a Gamecock
Does Brenton Williams hav
Josh Cunningham Power For

Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #41
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: Key Players next season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
When I think of key players, I think of players that are needed to provide depth or compete for vacant starting roles. Not necessarily guys like Pharoh Cooper, Jerrel Adams/Busta Anderson, etc etc. We have a pretty good idea what to expect from those guys.

I'm going to take it a little bit deeper .. Here are my Top 5:

1) Rico McWilliams - This is a guy that would have probably become our 3rd Corner his true freshman year before he blew out his knee early in Fall camp. His cover skills are above average and he has a really good frame for a defensive back. A lot of recruiting analysts thought he would grow into a Safety at the collegiate level. He got some spot starts and increased playing time throughout the year but for the most part he was still recovering from his knee injury. Indications from bowl practice was that he was finally rounding into form which makes this Spring a huge developmental hurdle for him. He is going to be asked to be the #1 Corner so a lot is going to be put on him from the jump. I think matching up with Shaq Roland all Spring and Fall camp is going provide some very entertaining battles and quite possibly could not only provide quick development but also some confidence. If there is one criticism I see in his game so far its tackling and over pursuit.

2) Larenz Bryant - BIG Spring coming up for this guy. Based on pure talent, I don't think Jordan Diggs or Sharrod Golightly hold a candle to him. With his skill set and physical makeup, he has it all to be the full time SPUR in 2014. If he were able to win the SPUR job or at least get into a timeshare, I think that gives the staff some options with Jordan Diggs. That guy keeps growing and I wouldn't rule out a possibility that he moves down into the box at WILL or MIKE linebacker. The SPUR battle between Golightly, Diggs, Bryant, and Camara will be a fun battle this offseason and I don't think its a given that Golightly keeps his starting job.

3) Phillip Dukes - OK big man, its your turn. After what seemed to take forever, he finally became a mainstay in the Defensive Tackle rotation backing up All-American Kelcy Quarles. But now its his turn to step up and become a big time playmaker or move over and make room for the younger guys like Kelsey Griffin and Abu Lamin. Dukes is an interesting guy because Coach Lawing and the staff were never completely sold on him as a defensive lineman coming out of high school. They thought he could have had a future on the offensive side of the ball but it looks as though he has really responded to Coach Adams and I think he is one of those breakout candidates for 2014. It'll be his 4th year in the program.

4) TJ Gurley - You have to feel terrible for this guy. He was having a fantastic freshman season before it ended with the torn ACL. He really battled hard this year but you could just tell he was not himself. Unlike McWilliams, I have not heard how his recovery has gone but if he can truly get back to 100%, I think he is hands down one of the best Safeties on the team. In all honesty, I would put him and Chaz Elder up against any Safety combination in the conference. Kind of like the Bryant/Diggs possiblity I mentioned earlier, a healthy Gurley could allow the staff to move Brison Williams around. It was reported this season by TBS that the staff was considering moving Brison to SPUR in the Spring and then it was annoucned by Coach Ward that he was slated to play some Corner in the bowl game so maybe his versatility makes it easier for the staff to get its best players on the field.

5) Mike Matulis - Had to get one offensive player on the list but its probably not the guy you would be expecting. I think the skill positions are pretty much going to be status quo with so much returning. But this is a guy that is one of the better players on the team when healthy. He is a guy that could put a lot of pressure on Corey Robinson and I think that is what Corey needs right now to take that next step because I don't see Mason Zandi or Cody Gibson really threatening him. But if Mike is 100% and is back to his playing weight, he might be the best tackle on the team. At the very least, he gives us some versatility because he can back up both tackle spots and could allow Coach Elliott to move some guys around to create some competition for the vacant RG spot and fill in the rest of the depth chart. I think Mike is the biggest wildcard on the offensive side of the football. The caveat being that he is also a guy that could drop football all together.
I disagree about Golightly, he has really showed he can ball this year.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #42
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
When I think of key players, I think of players that are needed to provide depth or compete for vacant starting roles. Not necessarily guys like Pharoh Cooper, Jerrel Adams/Busta Anderson, etc etc. We have a pretty good idea what to expect from those guys.

1) Rico McWilliams - This is a guy that would have probably become our 3rd Corner his true freshman year before he blew out his knee early in Fall camp. His cover skills are above average and he has a really good frame for a defensive back. A lot of recruiting analysts thought he would grow into a Safety at the collegiate level. He got some spot starts and increased playing time throughout the year but for the most part he was still recovering from his knee injury. Indications from bowl practice was that he was finally rounding into form which makes this Spring a huge developmental hurdle for him. He is going to be asked to be the #1 Corner so a lot is going to be put on him from the jump. I think matching up with Shaq Roland all Spring and Fall camp is going provide some very entertaining battles and quite possibly could not only provide quick development but also some confidence. If there is one criticism I see in his game so far its tackling and over pursuit.

2) Larenz Bryant - BIG Spring coming up for this guy. Based on pure talent, I don't think Jordan Diggs or Sharrod Golightly hold a candle to him. With his skill set and physical makeup, he has it all to be the full time SPUR in 2014. If he were able to win the SPUR job or at least get into a timeshare, I think that gives the staff some options with Jordan Diggs. That guy keeps growing and I wouldn't rule out a possibility that he moves down into the box at WILL or MIKE linebacker. The SPUR battle between Golightly, Diggs, Bryant, and Camara will be a fun battle this offseason and I don't think its a given that Golightly keeps his starting job.

3) Phillip Dukes - OK big man, its your turn. After what seemed to take forever, he finally became a mainstay in the Defensive Tackle rotation backing up All-American Kelcy Quarles. But now its his turn to step up and become a big time playmaker or move over and make room for the younger guys like Kelsey Griffin and Abu Lamin. Dukes is an interesting guy because Coach Lawing and the staff were never completely sold on him as a defensive lineman coming out of high school. They thought he could have had a future on the offensive side of the ball but it looks as though he has really responded to Coach Adams and I think he is one of those breakout candidates for 2014. It'll be his 4th year in the program.

4) TJ Gurley - You have to feel terrible for this guy. He was having a fantastic freshman season before it ended with the torn ACL. He really battled hard this year but you could just tell he was not himself. Unlike McWilliams, I have not heard how his recovery has gone but if he can truly get back to 100%, I think he is hands down one of the best Safeties on the team. In all honesty, I would put him and Chaz Elder up against any Safety combination in the conference. Kind of like the Bryant/Diggs possiblity I mentioned earlier, a healthy Gurley could allow the staff to move Brison Williams around. It was reported this season by TBS that the staff was considering moving Brison to SPUR in the Spring and then it was annoucned by Coach Ward that he was slated to play some Corner in the bowl game so maybe his versatility makes it easier for the staff to get its best players on the field.

5) Mike Matulis - Had to get one offensive player on the list but its probably not the guy you would be expecting. I think the skill positions are pretty much going to be status quo with so much returning. But this is a guy that is one of the better players on the team when healthy. He is a guy that could put a lot of pressure on Corey Robinson and I think that is what Corey needs right now to take that next step because I don't see Mason Zandi or Cody Gibson really threatening him. But if Mike is 100% and is back to his playing weight, he might be the best tackle on the team. At the very least, he gives us some versatility because he can back up both tackle spots and could allow Coach Elliott to move some guys around to create some competition for the vacant RG spot and fill in the rest of the depth chart. I think Mike is the biggest wildcard on the offensive side of the football. The caveat being that he is also a guy that could drop football all together.
I agree Golightly not only played lights out this year, he has really come into his own, being a great playmaker. He needs to be on the field.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #43
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
According to team stats, Dylan's ypc average is about 1.5 yards higher than Connor's, and his ypa average is about .2 yards higher.
I was looking at 2012 numbers when the number of attempts where a little closer. Either way though your talking the difference of Roland falling down versus Nick Jones.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #44
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
I think Shamier Jeffery gets too much crap. I mean the kid only had one pass thrown his way in the bowl game and it was a WR Screen where he was swallowed up as soon as he caught it. If you wan't to judge Jeffery compared to his brother, your wrong already, but at at least throw the damn kid a pass he can catch and complete without getting drilled behind the line of scrimmage.
It's funny that a lot of receivers get crap here for underachieving but that's the one spot no one ever pays attention to the position coach.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #45
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

My key guys to watch
1-Dylan Thompson-needs to get more consistent
2-Corey Robinson-improve his lateral quickness, maybe drop some pounds
3-Jerrell Adams and Rory Anderson-had a down year at TE...need them to step it up.
4-Darius english-Guy has the speed, just needs weight
5-Cedrick Cooper-I'm worried he may get lost in the wash...need him to step up
6-Ali Groves and Rico McWilliams-have a feeling they will have to start...have to grow up quick.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #46
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
I agree Golightly not only played lights out this year, he has really come into his own, being a great playmaker. He needs to be on the field.
He played well and made some excellent plays the last few games. He also missed some key one-on-one tackles. He stopped trailing as many plays without sprinting to get to the ball-carrier. If he improves off-season as much as the last half of the season and learns to cover better, I will get onboard.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #47
Rooster'srule
Recruit

Male

Rooster'srule has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
He played well and made some excellent plays the last few games. He also missed some key one-on-one tackles. He stopped trailing as many plays without sprinting to get to the ball-carrier. If he improves off-season as much as the last half of the season and learns to cover better, I will get onboard.
They should move Golightly to corner or safety next year.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #48
Braveguy06
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 has feathers coming inBraveguy06 has feathers coming inBraveguy06 has feathers coming in

I hope we can add Wesley Green and DJ Smith to the list
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #49
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm really excited to see what Bryant will be able to do now that he will have a spring practice to work in the system. He may be one of the most talented players we have on the defensive side of the ball, and his athleticism could be awesome to watch at SPUR. Golightly played great down the stretch, but from a true position-fit standpoint, Bryant seems to be much better than Golightly.

If Matulis is healthy and back up to around 300 pounds (like Coach Elliott said he could be) I truly would not be surprised to see him get significant PT at LT this year, or perhaps even start. I really hope he's healthy and has a big spring. Also interested to see what Rodgers can do on the OL this spring. Elliott loves his intensity, and I think he would be a great fit at RG.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #50
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think he can improve over the spring/summer and may continue to start while sharing the spot.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #51
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post

I hadn't thought of this. He seems to be built like a db.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #52
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not sure he would see time at either position. Golightly, a RS-JR, has been in the program now for 4 years, playing Spur since he a true freshman. However, during the 2010 season when our pass defense was struggling, Golightly got a few reps in practice at Corner and struggled so much that they moved him back to Spur.

He was a safety in HS and knew coming into South Carolina he was probably going to be used at Spur. He played pretty well at Spur this season too, earning ALL-SEC Second Team rights.

Jamari Smith, Rico McWilliams, Chaz Elder, TJ Gurley, JJ Marcus, Brison Williams, Ali Groves, and Ronnie Martin will have to all step up and provide not only the depth, but the starters in the defensive secondary.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #53
Rooster'srule
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I'm not sure he would see time at either position. Golightly, a RS-JR, has been in the program now for 4 years, playing Spur since he a true freshman. However, during the 2010 season when our pass defense was struggling, Golightly got a few reps in practice at Corner and struggled so much that they moved him back to Spur.

He was a safety in HS and knew coming into South Carolina he was probably going to be used at Spur. He played pretty well at Spur this season too, earning ALL-SEC Second Team rights.

Jamari Smith, Rico McWilliams, Chaz Elder, TJ Gurley, JJ Marcus, Brison Williams, Ali Groves, and Ronnie Martin will have to all step up and provide not only the depth, but the starters in the defensive secondary.
Yeah not sure his skill sets would benefit him at one of those positions. I just see him as a DJ Swearinger type player next year.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #54
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah not sure his skill sets would benefit him at one of those positions. I just see him as a DJ Swearinger type player next year.
If everything clicks for him and the defense, he could be another Antonio Allen. Hard hitter, with good hands, playing Spur. He flies to the ball. Given a fair amount of reps at Spur he'll be around a lot of plays.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #55
Rooster'srule
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
If everything clicks for him and the defense, he could be another Antonio Allen. Hard hitter, with good hands, playing Spur. He flies to the ball. Given a fair amount of reps at Spur he'll be around a lot of plays.
Not sure about the size difference between the two players but Allen seemed to be taller and leaner plus he seemed to react to the play a little quicker than Golightly.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #56
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Cooper is moving to DE.
This is a good move. He looks like he has the size to make this transition and the improvement Skai, Marquis, TJ, Diggs, and throw Walton in there made, our LB's are going to be a strong asset next season. Golightly and Elder really improved as well. With Abu clogging the middle hopefully and the DT's that got some experience this past season, I think our defensive front will be solid and help the newbies in the secondary come along. I think our defense will be underrated next season and surprise people. I hope Sawyer can come in and contribute early.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #57
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

And dang I wish we could flip Wideman.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #58
jfbreb94
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Will busta be back?
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #59
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbreb94 View Post
Will busta be back?

Yes but he is being passed by Adams on the depth chart.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

What's up with Rainey? He was a highly recruited guy, started at TE, tried LB, then back to TE. Seems like he's lost in the shuffle, now Crosby is coming at TE.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote