CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
sanford
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
cocksmith1or11
El Cid Ranger
b381l
rdwylie
Backup QB competitio (2549)
2014 Preseason USA T (1253)
Ranking the SEC Fema (760)
Anyone heard anythin (649)
Future Non-Conferenc (616)
Spurrier on the cove (400)
What Would You Do? (382)
Ranking the SEC scho (287)
Ranking the SEC Fema (222)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (212)
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
Backup QB competition
2015 - Albert Huggins
Anyone heard anything abo
Dustin Johnson taking a l
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Cheap jersey and very nic
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Elcid99
Shaq R.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material
Default Stir-Fry

I recently received a wok from my white elephant gift exchange at work. I have little experience cooking stir-fry myself, but would love to try any recipes you might have. Does anyone have a good one they are willing to share? Thank you.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Stir-Fry

Just seeing the headline when I got on Cockytalk and not checking what area the thread was in, I thought this was a new nickname for Elliot Fry or something. Lol..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Just seeing the headline when I got on Cockytalk and not checking what area the thread was in, I thought this was a new nickname for Elliot Fry or something. Lol..

Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Is it electric or conventional?

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Is it electric or conventional?
It's a carbon steel wok made by IMUSA and says it works on both gas and electric. Link

Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

The cool thing about a Wok is that you can stir fry just about anything. Generally it is a mixture of meat & veg with a light sauce. Try this, works every time

Choose your fresh veg, cut all in approximately the same size.
Buy a pound or less of fresh shrimp depending on how many are eating

First heat your wok to rocket hot, as hot as you can go. Add about a tablespoon or two of canola oil & immediately add the veg. toss veg for a couple of minutes never ever walking away from it. Remove the veg when tender but still has a bite. Put another tablespoon or so of oil in wok & throw in shrimp, toss around until about half done & add some Soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil & I always like to add a teaspoon of hoisin sauce, use some chicken stock to loosen it a bit then throw your veg back in. If you want it to be a thicker sauce just take some corn starch mixed with water & add until consistency you want. Remove & eat.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
The cool thing about a Wok is that you can stir fry just about anything. Generally it is a mixture of meat & veg with a light sauce. Try this, works every time

First heat your wok to rocket hot, as hot as you can go. Add about a tablespoon or two of canola oil & immediately add the veg. toss veg for a couple of minutes never ever walking away from it. Remove the veg when tender but still has a bite. Put another tablespoon or so of oil in wok & throw in shrimp, toss around until about half done & add some Soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil & I always like to add a teaspoon of hoisin sauce, use some chicken stock to loosen it a bit then throw your veg back in. If you want it to be a thicker sauce just take some corn starch mixed with water & add until consistency you want. Remove & eat.
Thank you for those simple instructions. I have some shrimp in the freezer that I will thaw this week and strir-fry for dinner. I have little experience creating sauces, so your recommendation of chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, and corn starch was helpful.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
uscbrasco
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 510
uscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spurs

I know its blasphemy, but some of the store bought stir fry sauces are pretty decent as well.

Just follow the above instructions for your favorite veggies and protein and add sauce...
uscbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

find an asian grocery store and get a bottle or 5 of garlic oil, I use my wok foe cooking just about everything thats quick
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I don't particularly care for most stir fry stuff. Sometimes I do some things like onions and broccoli or fried rice in the wok though. Grab a small bottle of sesame oil. Use it for flavoring. For high temp stir frying go with peanut, canola, or grapeseed oil.

#ModForMod
Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post

you can also take this same procedure and sub in terriyaki sauce for soy for some flavor variety. I just made one with orange juice and asian chili paste as the sauce. the great thing about woks and stir fry is that unless you are an incredibly picky person you can usually find a sauce/meat and vegetable combo that you'll like and it is about the fastest way you could cook anything.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

CRISPY ORANGE CHICKEN recipe....google it!

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Grab a free sample of Komodo teriyaki sauce here: http://www.komodosauces.com/pr/teriyakisample/

#ModForMod