CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
soccerguy79
cockybreeyan
cockyguitar
Yearofthegamecock
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
No Curse
usc90grad
**USC vs. Texas A&am (50487)
A&M vent thread (6173)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Players reaction to (1445)
Work Today Efficient (1413)
Here is the trophy f (1402)
Jimmies and Joes (1216)
Toughest stadium in (1197)
SOS is pissed (1114)
Early dismissal for (975)
A&M vent thread
whats up with Mike?
A fans guide. 5 steps to
Connor Shaw Browns
SOS is pissed
Good effort Cocks
Worst Beating since?
Cheap jersey and very nic
I'm not looking forward t
QB Kenny Hill named start

Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default 1990-1999 vs 2010-2013

1990-1999 41 wins.

2010-2013 42 wins.

This is the golden age folks. Enjoy it.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 1990-1999 vs 2010-2013

Wow... perspective. My what a corner we have turned.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Some of our fans have forgot those years. Couldn't be prouder to be a Gamecock.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Wow what a bad decade that was. I was born in 1990 so I was a child during those years but even I knew how bad we were. So glad that's ancient history.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Some of our fans have forgot those years. Couldn't be prouder to be a Gamecock.
For those old enough to remember the pre late 90s Gamecocks, DON'T
EVER FORGET THOSE DAYS !! .... Remembering those days make what
we are going through now Sooooo much sweeter.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
Wow what a bad decade that was. I was born in 1990 so I was a child during those years but even I knew how bad we were. So glad that's ancient history.
That decade included the 0-21 stretch that Brad Scott dug us into, and
took Lou Holtz to dig us out if it. As bad as that decade was, there were
other decades in my lifetime ( 1965-present) that had a stretch of games
that made the 90s look good. Makes me REALLY appreciate what Coach Spurrier
and his staff has done for this program now.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

After JoMo died the air came out of our program. Tanneyhill helped to give us a little bit of it back by his play and our first bowl win. Lou and Spurrier have led us up the mountain and though we aren't at the peak (yet), we can see it from here!

I love this view...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

All the scars and ridicule and heartache that generations went through with precious little to cheer is what makes our fans different from everyone else.

I find it a badge of honor. It is so easy to be born into a program that has won for decades before you were born and continued it, more or less until the present day, but it warps the appreciation of simply winning and how much work goes into it.

Some may pity our fan base. In reality, I feel some pity them. Hell, yes, I want titles and glory, but to do it without cheating, with a small state population, and with all the backstabbing we have suffered, makes any success like finding water in the desert. It sustains and invigorates. We can laugh at the storied programs that have a down year or two, knowing they could not begin to bear what we have born. Many years ago, a poster on an Auburn was discussing SEC fans and alluded to how staunch we have been with so little in return. He dubbed us "The Iron Fans" of football. Very astute.

I think we can now begin to look at USC football history as Before Spurrier and After Spurrier. The gap is that wide.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
womfalcs3
Happiness is a choice

Male

CockyCash: 1400
womfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot material

Hopefully we can sustain this after the Spurrier era.
womfalcs3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
For those old enough to remember the pre late 90s Gamecocks, DON'T
EVER FORGET THOSE DAYS !! .... Remembering those days make what
we are going through now Sooooo much sweeter.

It wasn't just losing and by how much, it was lots and lots of bad play. We had guys that could play above their heads for part of a game and then fall apart when we needed them to step up. No disrespect to the guys who worked hard on those old teams, but we have noticeably better players now and it shows.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
It wasn't just losing and by how much, it was lots and lots of bad play. We had guys that could play above their heads for part of a game and then fall apart when we needed them to step up. No disrespect to the guys who worked hard on those old teams, but we have noticeably better players now and it shows.
That's what made a lot of those years for me, difficult to sit through. We had
a few guys who played whistle to whistle, and then some who gave up at the
first sign of adversity. When the entire team would show up and play, there
was some good football to watch, even in losing causes, but in those stretches
of sub 6 win seasons, I wish the entire team had just not gone out on the field
rather than watch 5-6 players play until they collapsed, and the rest of the
team had folded the tent and packed it in early in the first quarter.

I makes me really feel good especially this season, seeing a bunch of young
kids (especially on defense) who weren't experienced and unsure of themselves
play their hearts out game after game early in the season, make a lot of
mental and fundamental errors, but still go hard for 60 minutes and then
watch it all come together and those guy's talent come into play later in
the season. ..... Never gave up, never gave in and never left a team mate
out there alone to do it all.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

So well said.

Aside from recruiting I think this is what the Spurrier legacy will be years from now. We play like a team, next man up, if you break a rule you sit. Discipline and team first mentality that we had lost, and Spurrier struggled for a while to bring it back here.

That, and of course, swagger. I so enjoy other teams and fans hating on us now.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's what made a lot of those years for me, difficult to sit through. We had
a few guys who played whistle to whistle, and then some who gave up at the
first sign of adversity. When the entire team would show up and play, there
was some good football to watch, even in losing causes, but in those stretches
of sub 6 win seasons, I wish the entire team had just not gone out on the field
rather than watch 5-6 players play until they collapsed, and the rest of the
team had folded the tent and packed it in early in the first quarter.

I too know what the old days were like. The crap we caught from Clemson after their national title was bought. The heartbreak of the loss to Navy.

We have come along way. I never thought I would see 3 11 win seasons. But three in a row... WOW... We still have a ways to go. But to think of where we have risen from. It is mind blowing...

My only wish is that the Good Lord will let me stick around long enough to see the National Title Trophy lifted in WB.
cockybusiness2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
That is what I am worried about too

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

1. Better coaches
2. Better players
3. Better attitudes
4. Better facilities

Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
I too know what the old days were like. The crap we caught from Clemson after their national title was bought. The heartbreak of the loss to Navy.

We have come along way. I never thought I would see 3 11 win seasons. But three in a row... WOW... We still have a ways to go. But to think of where we have risen from. It is mind blowing...

My only wish is that the Good Lord will let me stick around long enough to see the National Title Trophy lifted in WB.
Cockybusiness, I'm with you. I'm an 81 grad who got to where I didn't know if I'd ever see this kind of success. So many heartbreaks.

While Lou did great I guess the expectations were so high that he could never fulfill them. The events when he left just took the air out of me.

My hopes were so high when the HBC took over. I worked in Florida for years while he was there and saw how he not only lifted a program that had never won much, but also lifted a fan base. The middle years of his reign here kind made me wonder if we would ever get to the elite level.

He persevered, we believed, and now we have an elite program. No we haven't won the SEC, but we are a legitimate contender every year. Georgia and Florida fans fear and hate us. UT's upset win over us is their biggest win in years....years ago it wouldn't have been a big deal to them. We are threat to go undefeated every year and we can play with anybody, anywhere, any week.

We own Clemson and they know it. Their fan base doesn't even expect to beat us anymore.

Maybe the biggest thing is that next year the SEC Network, who could pick any body and any game, opens their doors in Columbia South Carolina. Who would thought that ten years ago.

Young folks, enjoy these times.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

When Spurrier retires, our AD will embark on the most important coaching search in the history of our University.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

..and he'll hire Ward.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #19
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
..and he'll hire Ward.
Maybe...I'm interested in the OC

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
the next coaching hire may be the most important one yet.