CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27771)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2177)
Simple "yes&quo (1530)
We actually didnt lo (1251)
Phil Steele just pre (1221)
what I think ab ward (1004)
Eat Crow (956)
Extremely Proud (891)
Garcia: Change the R (773)
TeMarcus Blanton (720)
Stop bashing Dylan
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
We would be 7-1 with just
Extremely Proud
I want people to explain
Nick Marshall
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose

Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #61
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Key Players next season..

You're going to see Crosby on defense long term.

As far as Rainey, if he remains patient, he probably has a starting job in 2015.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #62
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockFighter is learning to peckCockFighter is learning to peck

Here are the real key players next year besides the known stars (Adams, Anderson, Roland, Davis, Moore, Thomson, Waldrop, Shell, Fry, Golightly).

Damiere Byrd - I think he will be one of our top receivers next year
Larenz Bryant - Another good linebacker that just needs more strength
Darius English - Our most athletic defensive end.
Kelsey Griffin - Probably our most atheletic defensive tackle
T.J. Holloman - He developed a lot physically this year. I expect alot from him next year
Rico McWilliams - I have always been high on Rico. I think next year will be his breakout year.
Marcquis Roberts - Very talented line backer just needs more strength
Mason Zandi - With his size and agility I expect him to have a good year
David Williams - He is the second best back on the team.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #63
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
None of that talent has shown up in games yet. Apparently good in practice, but lost in pass coverage, weak tackling, and simply missed a lot of assignments. I hope he makes a big leap in the off-season.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #64
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Need the LBs to step up. With questions at CB and on the DL, it would be good if this group can provide some stability. Hopefully the young guys got most of the rookie mistakes out of their systems this season. Can't afford to have as much inconsistency there next year.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
None of that talent has shown up in games yet. Apparently good in practice, but lost in pass coverage, weak tackling, and simply missed a lot of assignments. I hope he makes a big leap in the off-season.
I think Roberts issues this year are caused from his big layoff from football with the two injuries causing him to lose two seasons. In the beginning of the season he was very undersized and just getting back into the rhythm of playing football. His body looks a lot better now and I think his instincts will come. This is the best linebacker group in my opinion by far and I expect Roberts to be on of the stars on this group next year.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #66
scdodgerfan
Walk On

Male

scdodgerfan has hatched from the shell

Where does Brock Standric fit for next year? He was the higher rated twin, but little
brother Clayton has started while Brock has hardly been heard from.
scdodgerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #67
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Read through the whole thread and one thing appears true: we are loaded with potential.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdodgerfan View Post
Where does Brock Standric fit for next year? He was the higher rated twin, but little
brother Clayton has started while Brock has hardly been heard from.
Brock is behind Cann but he may get the other guard spot now that Patrick is gone.

I did not realize Clayton played in the bowl game until I re watched it. Waldrop was on the bench the entire second half I think.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #69
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Brock is behind Cann but he may get the other guard spot now that Patrick is gone.

I did not realize Clayton played in the bowl game until I re watched it. Waldrop was on the bench the entire second half I think.
Waldrop did not look good. Was pancaked on at least one play that I recall.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #70
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
Waldrop did not look good. Was pancaked on at least one play that I recall.
I think his foot was still screwed up. Jarrett owned him all night when we played the taters.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #71
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Waldrop was attacked by the Wisconsin DC. It looked to me as if his foot was still bothering him. He was struggling in the bowl game, and also he was beat badly several times in the Clemson game.

As for the OP's question, I think we are going to see some interesting position moves. We are thin at CB and DE. Cedric Cooper to DE is a great move. Melvin Ingram moved from LB and we know what happened with that move. That move alone helps out a lot with the depth there.

As for CB, is it too much to hope for help from incoming freshman? Well, unless the player is someone like Stephon Gilmore, I don't see much chance of a freshman being able to handle the massive responsibility of the CB spot. To me, CB is like free safety. You absolutely need a player there who knows how to play physical, is blazing fast and quick, and has the brains to defend the deep ball as a first priority. That is why I am predicting Brison Williams moves to CB. We have some pretty good safeties that can fill in at Free, which is not as easy to attack if there is a perceived weakness. Take your pick amongst the safties for a key player.

Hopefully, Rico McWilliams can step up for us.

On offense, obviously we need a QB, maybe two, to emerge. I doubt one QB makes it through the entire season unscathed so look for two key players at this position.

Pharoh Cooper at WR.

Finally, the biggest key is Joe Connoly (sp?). We need our players to bust it this off season in his system and really improve themselves physically over the off season. That is how they will potentially punch their ticket to the League.

Incidentally, with the PSU coach quitting, what is going to happen to Fitz?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #72
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9444
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post

Incidentally, with the PSU coach quitting, what is going to happen to Fitz?

Went with the HC to the Texans
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #73
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Yeh I understand that, but I think he is going to show out next year. If I am wrong I will eat my crow, but with more time and more balls thrown his way, I think he is going to show us what we have been wanting to see. I hope I am right.
sad to say, but i don't think that is going to happen. i think jeffery will be passed by with guys like brent and smith. and who knows what the incoming guys will do. i would like to see jeffery do something big, but i just don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
A year ago, half our fans wanted DT to start over Shaw and now he's not good enough... Got it.
first of all, it wasn't half our fans. second, those guys were delusional, and as wrong as wrong can be, as the season showed. lastly, i'll do you one better, i would almost bet money that dylan loses this job to mitch, or possibly even noso. dylan is a good guy, and a good qb, but he isn't starting material. not in the sec. he throws too many int's, and isn't nearly mobile enough to get away with his low completion percentage.
mitch is my bet at the moment, before mid season.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #74
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
sad to say, but i don't think that is going to happen. i think jeffery will be passed by with guys like brent and smith. and who knows what the incoming guys will do. i would like to see jeffery do something big, but i just don't see it happening..

Smith might pass him but Brent is a bust. He is way too soft for 6'8". He will never be a starter just like Fleetwood will never be a starter.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #75
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
Smith might pass him but Brent is a bust. He is way too soft for 6'8". He will never be a starter just like Fleetwood will never be a starter.
Jeffrey might be a bust too. He will be 22 or 23 this year and younger guys start above him.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #76
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Waldrop was attacked by the Wisconsin DC. It looked to me as if his foot was still bothering him. He was struggling in the bowl game, and also he was beat badly several times in the Clemson game.

As for the OP's question, I think we are going to see some interesting position moves. We are thin at CB and DE. Cedric Cooper to DE is a great move. Melvin Ingram moved from LB and we know what happened with that move. That move alone helps out a lot with the depth there.

As for CB, is it too much to hope for help from incoming freshman? Well, unless the player is someone like Stephon Gilmore, I don't see much chance of a freshman being able to handle the massive responsibility of the CB spot. To me, CB is like free safety. You absolutely need a player there who knows how to play physical, is blazing fast and quick, and has the brains to defend the deep ball as a first priority. That is why I am predicting Brison Williams moves to CB. We have some pretty good safeties that can fill in at Free, which is not as easy to attack if there is a perceived weakness. Take your pick amongst the safties for a key player.

Hopefully, Rico McWilliams can step up for us.
I just can't see Brison Williams at corner. He's listed at 5'11 218. There is a reason he is at strong safety. He doesn't have the quick feet or top end speed to play corner.

Personally I feel corner is one of the positions a freshman can come in an contribute at pretty easily if they have good technique. Just look at how many freshmen play at big time programs in college football today. I feel it can be done.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #77
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Brent is about five inches shorter than what you said in your post.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #78
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Here are the real key players next year besides the known stars (Adams, Anderson, Roland, Davis, Moore, Thomson, Waldrop, Shell, Fry, Golightly).

Damiere Byrd - I think he will be one of our top receivers next year
Larenz Bryant - Another good linebacker that just needs more strength
Darius English - Our most athletic defensive end.
Kelsey Griffin - Probably our most atheletic defensive tackle
T.J. Holloman - He developed a lot physically this year. I expect alot from him next year
Rico McWilliams - I have always been high on Rico. I think next year will be his breakout year.
Mason Zandi - With his size and agility I expect him to have a good year
David Williams - He is the second best back on the team.
There's a ton of talent on that list and a lot of them have the potential to be real difference makers here.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #79
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I just can't see Brison Williams at corner. He's listed at 5'11 218. There is a reason he is at strong safety. He doesn't have the quick feet or top end speed to play corner.

Personally I feel corner is one of the positions a freshman can come in an contribute at pretty easily if they have good technique. Just look at how many freshmen play at big time programs in college football today. I feel it can be done.
I agree. I think that one of the incoming freshman can pick it up at help immediately. Let's hope so, at least
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #80
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

I feel like everyone overlooks Wilds no matter what he does.

Yes, he has suffered some pretty tough injuries, but the dude is a beast on the field.

Please don't crucify him for the fumble in the bowl game unless you are going to be equally critical of Mike Davis. I don't think either one is going to have problems holding onto the ball in 2014.

These two guys could absolutely KILL defenses if they had some lanes to run in.

This year, Sean Elliot has got to get some lanes opened up for our run game.

Yes, Williams will be exciting to watch some day, but I am telling you that all we need is a combo of Davis and Wilds if they have lanes. Period.