CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
thekob
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
Gamecocks1137
CockyRyan
USCBASEBALL1
B-G
Captain9Dragons
Clemson Recruiting.. (4286)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1744)
Ranking the Opposing (1684)
Not a Rival.. (1249)
Hello Gamecocks! (689)
John Rocker at rock (630)
Marching band (611)
Section 16 (281)
Muschamp + fan = win (280)
Does anyone know how (217)
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
My predictions for 2014
2015 - Dallas Warmack - A
2015 - Mon Denson
Please Post Over/Under Wi
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
Clemson Recruiting...how
So what do you do with 18
Question about tailgating
Section 16

Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

CockyCash: 500
The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001
Exclamation 2014 Playoff System Explained

Article to read:

HERE

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions?

The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
pshade
Walk On

Male

pshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talonspshade has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: 2014 Playoff System Explained

The BIG12 and the ACC will join together in a lawsuit against the committee for continuously selecting 2 (and some years 3) SEC teams with one at-large bid to play for the National Championship. The BIG10 (or whatever it's called) will squeak by because it's considered a traditional power conference with TV market share.
pshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Leave it to the NCAA to screw up a playoff system. I am not a fan of "The Committee."

Nothing will change for us, we need to win the SEC. We do that and we'll be in the playoff, unless the SEC has a very strange and down year. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

How the hell did Dan Radakovich, Clemson AD, get on the committee in the first place?
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Leave it to the NCAA to screw up a playoff system. I am not a fan of "The Committee."

Nothing will change for us, we need to win the SEC. We do that and we'll be in the playoff, unless the SEC has a very strange and down year. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

How the hell did Dan Radakovich, Clemson AD, get on the committee in the first place?
The committee was smart. They know Clemson won't be a top 4 program so no need to worry about Clemson vying for a playoff spot.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
The committee was smart. They know Clemson won't be a top 4 program so no need to worry about Clemson vying for a playoff spot.
When you throw in the human element with huge ego's, you open yourself up to hypocrisy and corruption. Which I expect us to see a lot of in this system.

One thing the BCS system did do well was put the best teams against each other at the end of the day.

Like I've said though, we win the SEC and we'll be in. Anything less and our destiny is in the hands of these jokers on 'The Committee.'
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Quote:

ACC AD Rep, I foresee this thing being expanded to 8 to give the "little guy" a chance you'll see a round with the top 4 having homefield and 6 conference champs and 2 at large the reason I say 6 is because the America, Sun Belt, MAC, MW, and CUSA will be all vying for 1 auto slot. Trust a few years of getting shut out and the big leagues will bitch so this is inevitable.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
ACC AD Rep, I foresee this thing being expanded to 8 to give the "little guy" a chance you'll see a round with the top 4 having homefield and 6 conference champs and 2 at large the reason I say 6 is because the America, Sun Belt, MAC, MW, and CUSA will be all vying for 1 auto slot. Trust a few years of getting shut out and the big leagues will bitch so this is inevitable.
That I agree with and the committee BS won't be as hard to swallow. Many think it will be 8 teams within 5 years. The sooner the better.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

I have to agree with the Dawg. They already have the bowls in place in the New Years Six. That was the thing that I didn't get. Thanks for the article.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Ok, here is the part I don't get...and maybe it's in there, if so sorry in advance.

Let's say the Sugar is one of the semi's. What happens to the B12 and SEC reps?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Why didn't they do 8 teams? Are they stupid? All 5 major conference champs get a in with the top 3 nonchamp BCS guys getting in too. They had 1 job and they screwed it up. Who would play this year?? Auburn, FSU, Mich St., Baylor? Taking 4 of 5 major conference champs but, leaving Stanford, Bama, OSU, and Mizz out. Would UCF have gotten in had they beaten us leaving 1 more 1-loss conf champ out? WTH, this sucks.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Why didn't they do 8 teams? Are they stupid? All 5 major conference champs get a in with the top 3 nonchamp BCS guys getting in too. They had 1 job and they screwed it up. Who would play this year?? Auburn, FSU, Mich St., Baylor? Taking 4 of 5 major conference champs but, leaving Stanford, Bama, OSU, and Mizz out. Would UCF have gotten in had they beaten us leaving 1 more 1-loss conf champ out? WTH, this sucks.
I just read that if it were this year, Baylor and Stanford would have been left out. They didn't say who was in, but I guess it would be Auburn, FSU, MSU and Bama.

And I agree they screwed this up. Made it a lot more convoluted than it needs to be and why go back to a human vote for rankings? Isn't that why they created the BCS in the first place? To get away from the coaches and sportswriters deciding the Champs? Now we rely on Politicians, pen pushers and Ex-Quarterbacks. I just don't like it, but maybe we will flourish in this system, who knows.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:
I just read that if it were this year, Baylor and Stanford would have been left out. They didn't say who was in, but I guess it would be Auburn, FSU, MSU and Bama.

And I agree they screwed this up. Made it a lot more convoluted than it needs to be and why go back to a human vote for rankings? Isn't that why they created the BCS in the first place? To get away from the coaches and sportswriters deciding the Champs? Now we rely on Politicians, pen pushers and Ex-Quarterbacks. I just don't like it, but maybe we will flourish in this system, who knows.
I think you guys are dead wrong. I'd MUCH prefer the human element to what we HAVE been dealing with (What's that? #12 Clemson gets a BCS bowl because they're the second best team from the ACC, While 4 teams from the SEC are ranked higher).

No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have the top 4 teams play than any system that tries too hard to be fair (AU, FSU, MSU and Bama would have made for an AWESOME playoff this year. Or do you disagree?)
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
When you throw in the human element with huge ego's, you open yourself up to hypocrisy and corruption. Which I expect us to see a lot of in this system.

One thing the BCS system did do well was put the best teams against each other at the end of the day.

Like I've said though, we win the SEC and we'll be in. Anything less and our destiny is in the hands of these jokers on 'The Committee.'
Never does sarcasm translate well on a forum. The reality of the sitaution is that it will never a perfect system. IMO the BCS computer rankings worked the best.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
I think you guys are dead wrong. I'd MUCH prefer the human element to what we HAVE been dealing with (What's that? #12 Clemson gets a BCS bowl because they're the second best team from the ACC, While 4 teams from the SEC are ranked higher).

No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have the top 4 teams play than any system that tries too hard to be fair (AU, FSU, MSU and Bama would have made for an AWESOME playoff this year. Or do you disagree?)
I don't care about clemson's bcs win/ appearances at all. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm talking about the way we select the best teams to play for a Championship. The BCS did that with the system in place, they had to give a few dogs a bone here and there, to keep everyone happy because the SEC is top heavy. But the two teams that played in the BCSNCG were nearly always correct. They got it right again this year. Why change the way you select the top four teams? I don't get it. It's like the NCAA wants the system to be unfair, because they are afraid of what will happen if it is fair.

TBH, I think a four team playoff with so many teams in the FBS is ludicrous. Again, the NCAA is delaying the inevitable. The reason why baffles me. It honestly should include all conference winners and some wild-cards. Just like the NFL. What's wrong with their format? Why does the NCAA have to come up with the most screwed up play-off system in major US sports? And now Condi Rice and Archie Manning get a say in who gets a chance and who doesn't? Complete and T-Total BS.

WTS, I hope we win it every year until they are forced to get on with it the correct way. Get the conferences sorted out. Whatever it takes, but four teams out of 119 is absolutely absurd.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post

Under either system Clemson would have gone to the Orange bowl.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
Never does sarcasm translate well on a forum. The reality of the sitaution is that it will never a perfect system. IMO the BCS computer rankings worked the best.
OK, got ya.

Yes, the computer rankings got it as close as it's ever been and all you need to do is use them to get your teams in the play-offs and let the players decide it on the field.

Computer ranking are crap to tell you who is the best, but they were excellent in telling us who is worthy.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Are they stupid?
Yes.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I don't agree with the total removal of computer rankings. I think it is important to utilize computer rankings to some degree to offset human bias and error.

And yes, it should expand to 8 teams. I believe 8 teams is a large enough sample size to encompass all of the teams that are truly worthy and capable of contending for the top spot. However, no matter how large you make the playoff bracket, there will always be that team or two who is questionably left out and left feeling jilted.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I don't agree with the total removal of computer rankings. I think it is important to utilize computer rankings to some degree to offset human bias and error.

And yes, it should expand to 8 teams. I believe 8 teams is a large enough sample size to encompass all of the teams that are truly worthy and capable of contending for the top spot. However, no matter how large you make the playoff bracket, there will always be that team or two who is questionably left out and left feeling jilted.
IMO never is a two loss team deserving of a NC shot. An opinion I agree with that has already been posted, "rarely are there more than 4 teams deserving of a NC shot."

If we're going to include more just as well take the top two teams in every conference for the playoff. Because in the end some conference is going to be cryin' that it ain't fair and that will force expansion.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:

LOL, Travelin', I just theorized what you read was wrong. Think the clowns would have tossed Bama for Stanford to 'spread the wealth'.

BTW all these opinions we're expressing(including mine) are worth a little less than a penny a piece, or a dime a dozen, but it's so much fun to speculate.

Like you, I think this thing may well be a bloody joke.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote