CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
b381l
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
gamecockgal
Yearofthegamecock
spareparts
Pw00132
Badazcock
Gameday Sign Ideas (4270)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Dylan Thompson's pas (2613)
ST coach fired this (2523)
Celebrity Guest Pick (1735)
Let's talk about Mat (1633)
So, um, yeah the NFL (718)
Rank the SEC startin (682)
Defensive personnel (653)
Kendrick salley (555)
Mizzou Depth Chart vs Sou
Let's talk about Maty Mau
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky
The Green Strip is BACK!
Celebrity Guest Picker...
Sandstorm towels
Upgraded/Premium Seating?
Another game I'm interest
ST coach fired this week
SEC East Race as of 9/21

Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Carolina football coaching future

Since the coaching carousel is turning right now and it's a big topic of who will be where, it got me thinking. Spurrier will be 69 in April. I believe he told Connor Mitch that if he came to Carolina that he would be the head coach his whole career here. I know that could be as long as 4 years away and Spurrier has said winning here has rejuvenated him. I know it's still way too early to predict a next head coach here and I'm all for focusing on now and enjoying the HBC while he's here.

That being said, with Strong going to Texas and James Franklin most likely at a new school maybe this off-season next at the latest.

Who are some guys ya'll are looking at as our next potential coach? Do ya'll think it will be a young on fire coach that can recruit, a guy with Carolina ties or an established coach or a mixture? Who do ya'll want and why?
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in
Default Re: Carolina football coaching future

When I first started watching football in high school, I became a Florida fan because of their style of play under Spurrier. I quit liking Florida under Ron Zook and then became a South Carolina fan when Spurrier came. I can't imagine liking a football team that's not coached by Spurrier.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
thatcockyguy
Walk On

Male

thatcockyguy has hatched from the shell

So you won't be a fan once Spurrier is gone?
thatcockyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

Bob Stoops. He'll go to Cleveland, realize he is not cut out to coach in the NFL when he is shown the door by the Browns and will come back to the SEC to take over for his close friend and mentor. All the media coverage will draw the parallels between his path and HBC's thru Washington.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Well, look at this. Bobby Bowden coached until he was what, almost 80? Paterno too.

And Bowden was not in great shape, didn't exercise much. Paterno was fragile and frail and didn't stay active much.

Spurrier is still lifting weights, golfing, joking with reporters, taking jabs at his rival.

Hell, this man could coach another 10 years at USC if he wants.

Seriously, would anyone be shocked if the man put on a jersey and started throwing the scout team passes in practice? He's a legend. As a USC fan, I just cant believe how fortunate we are that he came here. I, too, loved him at Florida, and to have him here is just awesome.

But, when he does leave one day, he'll leave a program that is on par with the top SEC teams as far as recruiting, facilities, etc. He has shown you can win big here, and do it without the insane stress to win you see at Bama, Texas, Ohio St, etc.

USC will get another legend to come, or, lure a top young candidate. Michigan State's Mark Dantonio maybe? Hes a former Gamecock. Bring him home haha.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
Bob Stoops. He'll go to Cleveland, realize he is not cut out to coach in the NFL when he is shown the door by the Browns and will come back to the SEC to take over for his close friend and mentor. All the media coverage will draw the parallels between his path and HBC's thru Washington.
10 years ago that would've sounded crazy. Not so now. I could see something like that happening. A guy who went through the grinder of a traditional college powerhouse, tries the NFL, then wants to come back to college but at a place that wont fire you for only winning 9 games.

Ohio State finished 11-2, and people want coaches on that staff fired.
USC went 11-2, and we're asking if we can clone ours.

Coaches want that ability to win big, but without the stress of maybe getting fired for not winning a ring every year. And USC offers that, along with nice weather, low cost of living.

I truly think within 10 years USC will have a couple SEC titles and a National Championship. Its a perfect storm brewing.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

With what coach Spurrier has done here, I'm sure Dr Pastides and Ray
Tanner have pretty much assured him that he's got a job here as long
as he wants to coach. With the way Spurrier has looked and sounded at
the end of the season the last three years, I'm positive he'll stay here
and try to win an SEC Title at SC before he hangs it up for good. Also,
the overall SEC Win record (by Bear Bryant) is now within his grasp as
long as his health is good. He may want to try to get that brass ring too.

As for the question posed in the OP, I'm not even going to entertain or
speculate on it right now because we have one of the best coaches in the
country running the program at South Carolina, and one of the best that
has ever coached in the SEC. I will say that the comment as to "Hot
Young Coach" at the time he does decide to hang it up ....... I've seen
members of this board and other fan sites speculate on getting "then
hot coach" ..... A few years back when members of this site wanted
Spurrier to step down after the 7-5 season of 2008 and the loss to Iowa,
everyone wanted either Gary Peterson or Mike Leech. Where are those
two standing now after 5 years in the National Eye ? ... They were on
EVERYONE'S short list for a couple of seasons when they were "Hot".
Same goes for other sports as well. We hired a "hot, young coach"
in the Basketball world a few years back by the name of Darin Horn..How'd
that work out ? ...... Again, I'm not speculating at all because it's a non
factor in any of the admin or BOT right now. It's not something they OR
us need to worry about. I'm sure when the time is near for Coach Spurrier
to leave, He himself will sit down with Ray Tanner and the BOT members
and add his imput as to who might be best suited to take over the
program, and they will come up with a short list of names and go after
them at the right time.... as for now, we have a coach who is still
building this program, and who the next guy in, is not even a concern of
mine right now.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

At this rate I think that SOS stays until he breaks Bear Bryant's SEC win record.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Guys, you're missing the point. I'm not asking how long he will stay. I'm simply posing a question for the fun of discussing it, who follows arguably our best coach ever? More accurately who do you want to follow him?

As long as he can get talent in here and develop them and enjoy it I'll be fine if he does stay for another 10 years.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Guys, you're missing the point. I'm not asking how long he will stay. I'm simply posing a question for the fun of discussing it, who follows arguably our best coach ever? More accurately who do you want to follow him?

As long as he can get talent in here and develop them and enjoy it I'll be fine if he does stay for another 10 years.

It's kind of pointless to discuss who should replace him if we expect him to leave in 4-5 years because the landscape of college football coaching will be much different. A better question would be if Spurrier were to walk away today, who would we get to be our coach.

I have to agree that Stoops is someone to watch in the future. He's got a great rapport with Spurrier and seems to like USC.

As for how long I think Spurrier will be here...I think a lot of it is dependent on his success. If he realizes he's starting to lose it and we start losing games he will walk away before we need to "push him out". As long as he keep winning like he's winning now then I think he's got a solid 5 years in him. He's said he doesn't want to coach til death.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

Well, for discussion sake, lets say he did hang it up tomorrow, just for discussion!!

I think getting the "hot young coach" is a mistake. South Carolina as a state has some great high school talent, but we are a small state so we MUST recruit out of state to supplement it. Shaw, Davis, Ace for example.

And we don't have trophy cases lined with gold. So, while our recent success is great and surely helps, we still need a tad bit more than, say, Florida does to draw recruits.

Getting a big name coach that recruits already know and have heard of helps recruit out of state. USC recruits with the sale pitch of being part of something new, something never done before. To convince the recruit to do that, they must believe that it CAN happen, and they need to have a coach who has already done it somewhere for them to truly believe that. Holtz and Spurrier brought that. Recruits in 2008 knew if they came, they'd be part of something huge, and they were.

So, when that day comes, I say we need another Holtz/Spurrier type. A huge name who is near the end of his career, but can convince some out of state guys that coming to USC will result in them being part of something new and special and "1st ever stuff" that they cant get at Florida or Alabama.

And they'll buy it. If Shaw had gone to UGA or Florida, he'd be another great QB on their record books. But he came to USC, and he is THE greatest QB ever here. Kids want that these days.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

But, for the sake of the OP and the argument, lets hypothetically say Dabo Swinney meets Spurrier on the golf course, bad mouths him, and Spurrier says "You know what Dabo, its time someone taught you a lesson" and Spurrier grabs him, slams him, and puts on a UFC style beat down....and gets arrested hahaha!!! And then we need a new coach. What then......who do we hire if that happened tomorrow haha?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcockyguy View Post
So you won't be a fan once Spurrier is gone?
I'll give the replacement a shot. But I won't be a fan of a team that sucks.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
BeerandBacon
Recruit

Male

BeerandBacon has hatched from the shell

Dantonio.

Solid Coach and a Carolina alum\ex player.
BeerandBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I'll give the replacement a shot. But I won't be a fan of a team that sucks.

That's what's called being a 'fairweather fan'
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
That's what's called being a 'fairweather fan'
I just call it "being reasonable". I watch football to have fun. I don't think I would have fun watching a sucky team.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #17
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I just call it "being reasonable". I watch football to have fun. I don't think I would have fun watching a sucky team.
Sounds like something a lawyer would say. Parasite-like jumping from one host to another.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

Being a college football fan isn't about "being reasonable". Its about loving a team, and selling out 90,000 seats in an 0-22 streak...just in case, because you want to say "I was there" when the streak breaks.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
BeerandBacon
Recruit

Male

BeerandBacon has hatched from the shell

Larry, just my opinion here; but if your fandom is conditional then you should just quit now. I'm a Carolina fan, the win loss record has no bearing on that whatsoever.
BeerandBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerandBacon View Post
Larry, just my opinion here; but if your fandom is conditional then you should just quit now. I'm a Carolina fan, the win loss record has no bearing on that whatsoever.
I agree. Openly saying that your a fan, but only until the team starts losing then you are jumping ship??? That's sad.