CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ertman420
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
GarnetSwarm1990
JerseyBird
Ericvol2096
RGHoskins
usc90grad
rosstheboss
thekob
Mangus now coaching (1045)
Can Tennessee get to (830)
Chick Redefines the (485)
2 Crazy things (450)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (436)
ESPN Article on HBC (428)
Spread vs. aTm (392)
The Bama series (345)
Lindy's top 100 for (341)
Ronald McDonald Gets (158)
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2001 vs Sandstorm
2016 Thon Marker
Clowney's NFL Draft Promo
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2 Crazy things
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Spurrier would take Clown

Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #41
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina football coaching future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
OK, fair enough.

So guys, a legit question. Who you got in a fight: Spurrier or a Hurricane?
What if the hurricane was named Hurricane Spurrier.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #42
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
But, for the sake of the OP and the argument, lets hypothetically say Dabo Swinney meets Spurrier on the golf course, bad mouths him, and Spurrier says "You know what Dabo, its time someone taught you a lesson" and Spurrier grabs him, slams him, and puts on a UFC style beat down....and gets arrested hahaha!!! And then we need a new coach. What then......who do we hire if that happened tomorrow haha?
I don't see why we would need a new coach if that happened.

Frankly, that is just a matter of when and not if.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
When I first started watching football in high school, I became a Florida fan because of their style of play under Spurrier. I quit liking Florida under Ron Zook and then became a South Carolina fan when Spurrier came. I can't imagine liking a football team that's not coached by Spurrier.

I think this guy dated my sister once.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #44
highstick
Walk On

Male

highstick is learning to peck

Quote:
I agree. Openly saying that your a fan, but only until the team starts losing then you are jumping ship??? That's sad.
Sure hope he's a TV fan because he wouldn't hang around to watch live football very long...

But, we have bunch of bandwagon fans(who have Urange hanging in their closets just waiting for a chance to pull it back out)..

And I get a chuckle out of the comment about Charlie Strong being a "home run" pick!
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #45
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Dantonio won't be the coach here. His recruiting ties are all Midwest and he doesn't even have an agent. Plus he's almost 60.

Burden is a better option and my first pick but it doesn't look like he's to interested in coaching again anytime soon. Maybe he's waiting for his good buddy spurrier to retire so he can pick up where he's leaving off.

Stoops wife is from the east coast and it's been said that she wants to come back this way. I'd take this one in a heartbeat as well.

People overlook Dan Mullen at msu too, he's gone to 3 or 4 strait bowls at a place that really is almost impossible to win at in that division and all. He's a good coach and I think he could be great at a more established place.

Bobby Petrino. Yeah stay up on your high horse if you want to, guy is a hell of an SEC football coach.

I think we need an SEC guy with good ties and experience in the league.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #46
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I think this guy dated my sister once.
Guess she didn't like LL's idea of 'being reasonable'. LOL.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #47
GH
Moonocababa

Male

I see many people throwing around names but I thought this thread was about the type of coach you think you would want?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #48
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

I disagree that I'm a bandwagon fan, because I switched from Florida to South Carolina in 2005. South Carolina was a mid-tier team at best. That would make me the opposite of a bandwagon fan. I hope you are able to understand this logic.

If South Carolina sucks for 3 years in a row after Spurrier leaves, I will pick another mid-tier team to take to the top. Maybe Ole Miss or Arkansas.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #49
Eug Cock
Walk On

Male

Eug Cock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
I disagree that I'm a bandwagon fan, because I switched from Florida to South Carolina in 2005. South Carolina was a mid-tier team at best. That would make me the opposite of a bandwagon fan. I hope you are able to understand this logic.

If South Carolina sucks for 3 years in a row after Spurrier leaves, I will pick another mid-tier team to take to the top. Maybe Ole Miss or Arkansas.

This is hilarious!!!

It reminds me of watching March Madness when you don't have a team in the hunt....pulling for a team because they have a cool mascot or whatever.

It's not how I watch football but to each their own.
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #50
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

I have a serious love/hate relationship with these threads and conversations. Here me out:

Why I love it:

I love this kind of conversation because it is exciting to think about the possibilities. The names that get thrown around, the styles of offense/defense that each indiviual coach would bring. The fact that Spurrier has taken our program from a low-level mediocre SEC team, to a premier SEC team. The opportunity to land big-name coaches is out there. And we all know it's coming soon (with 10 years), so it's interesting to think about.

Why I hate it:

It is impossible to try and view 5-10 years down the road. The hot names now my wither and die, or be locked up at top tier schools with million dollar contracts and million dollar buy-outs. The "hottest" or "biggest" named coach in 7 years might be a WR coach at Ball State right now - you never know.

(For those curious, I made the WR coach at Ball State up - but his name is Keith Gaither, and he's 40 years old)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #51
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Forget Charlie Strong coming back. I'm gonna be real disappointed if he turns Texas into a winner.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #52
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:

One thing is for sure...you are definitely not a lawyer.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #53
Karaoke_Jesus
Walk On

Male

Karaoke_Jesus has hatched from the shell

Ellis Johnson seems like a pretty good choice to me.
Karaoke_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #54
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
When I first started watching football in high school, I became a Florida fan because of their style of play under Spurrier. I quit liking Florida under Ron Zook and then became a South Carolina fan when Spurrier came. I can't imagine liking a football team that's not coached by Spurrier.
It looks like Dabo's head isn't the only one Coach Spurrier's inside of.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #55
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

Unfortunately, I believe that Ray, be a promotion man himself, will promote from within the program to try and keep continuity amongst the football team. I don't believe this is best for the team, but I think this will happen. Just my two cents. Feel the need not to bash if you disagree.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #56
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSpur12 View Post
Unfortunately, I believe that Ray, be a promotion man himself, will promote from within the program to try and keep continuity amongst the football team. I don't believe this is best for the team, but I think this will happen. Just my two cents. Feel the need not to bash if you disagree.

SOS will be here at least 3 more years. Probably 4. Who knows who is hot and notat that point or who our assistants are (particularly the way we change them). We have no clue who will be our coach then.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #57
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

Mark Richt has completely lost control of this thread...
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #58
BlackMagic84
Esquire

Male

BlackMagic84 is sharpening his clawsBlackMagic84 is sharpening his clawsBlackMagic84 is sharpening his clawsBlackMagic84 is sharpening his claws

Ok, here's my two cents.......hope I don't tick anyone off, but I'm gonna be honest based off what I've read.....

-Bob Stoops is not leaving Oklahoma anytime soon....I don't believe he'll make the jump to the NFL, he's had his chances before and passed.

-Ellis Johnson is a great assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, but a head coach he is not.

-Charlie Strong will never coach here. If he's successful he will stay at Texas for a long time, if he's unsuccessful then why would you want him???

-John Gruden will never coach here. He's done as a coach IMO, he loves that TV and that color commentating chair entirely too much. Plus he has little to no college-level experience on his resume. The guy is an NFL guy, not an NCAA guy. He could have had the UT job and passed.

-Dantonio has been gone from the south and southern football since he left in the late 70's. I like him and what he's done for MSU and glad he's a former gamecock, but he doesn't resemble a SEC type coach. Plus with his age (supposing Spurrier retires in about 4 years), I don't see us whooing a 65 year old Dantonio. This would not be a good long term plan of strategy.

Other names I saw but just are a big fat flat out NOOOOOOO.....Dan Mullen, no I'm not gonna go there, but just a flat out NO!

Truth is, I don't have the answer......the guy may not be on the map just yet. Or he could be just right under our nose.......how bout Sean Elliot or G.A. Mangus......laugh if you want but these two guys basically call all the plays with Spurrier, both have studied under him for years now, especially G.A. Both are young (can be around a long time) and are great recruiters. They are already in the know and in the system and know what works and how we do things around here.

It has been really nice to have Holtz first and then hire Spurrier, BUT you don't need to hire a big name every time to continue with already well established success. See Jimbo Fisher and Gus Malzahn......who were these guys 4 years ago? Relatively a bunch of no-bodies and assistants at the program's they just took to the National Championship game tonight.

Go ahead, call me crazy.............got anything better????
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #59
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

I think if I had to choose a coach off of our staff, I'd go with Whammy. Older coach with some miles on him, but still young enough to relate to his players and recruit well. I wouldn't mind having him become HC, while hiring another quote on quote DC and then having him hire a sure fire OC. I doubt JR stays once his pops leaves

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #60
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic84 View Post
Ok, here's my two cents.......hope I don't tick anyone off, but I'm gonna be honest based off what I've read.....

-Bob Stoops is not leaving Oklahoma anytime soon....I don't believe he'll make the jump to the NFL, he's had his chances before and passed.

-Ellis Johnson is a great assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, but a head coach he is not.

-Charlie Strong will never coach here. If he's successful he will stay at Texas for a long time, if he's unsuccessful then why would you want him???

-John Gruden will never coach here. He's done as a coach IMO, he loves that TV and that color commentating chair entirely too much. Plus he has little to no college-level experience on his resume. The guy is an NFL guy, not an NCAA guy. He could have had the UT job and passed.

-Dantonio has been gone from the south and southern football since he left in the late 70's. I like him and what he's done for MSU and glad he's a former gamecock, but he doesn't resemble a SEC type coach. Plus with his age (supposing Spurrier retires in about 4 years), I don't see us whooing a 65 year old Dantonio. This would not be a good long term plan of strategy.

Other names I saw but just are a big fat flat out NOOOOOOO.....Dan Mullen, no I'm not gonna go there, but just a flat out NO!

Truth is, I don't have the answer......the guy may not be on the map just yet. Or he could be just right under our nose.......how bout Sean Elliot or G.A. Mangus......laugh if you want but these two guys basically call all the plays with Spurrier, both have studied under him for years now, especially G.A. Both are young (can be around a long time) and are great recruiters. They are already in the know and in the system and know what works and how we do things around here.

It has been really nice to have Holtz first and then hire Spurrier, BUT you don't need to hire a big name every time to continue with already well established success. See Jimbo Fisher and Gus Malzahn......who were these guys 4 years ago? Relatively a bunch of no-bodies and assistants at the program's they just took to the National Championship game tonight.

Go ahead, call me crazy.............got anything better????
I think you are spot on. I can't disagree with anything you said.

I just hope that who-ever we get, I hope they are one hell of a recruiter and can pull top notch guys away from the Florida's, Alabama's and FSU's. We can get a few now but to get a guy that can pull in 5*s consistently would put us in great shape to develop those guys.

Before ya'll say anything about star chasing, I get that developing is more important that signing highly rated guys. My point is, athletes wanna go where the highly rated guys go. They wanna go win and getting those kind of recruits goes a long way.

Our coaches now do arguably one of the best jobs at evaluating talent and I will never knock them for the job they have done. Getting a guy that can sell us to the top notch talent as well as evaluate with the best of them would be a dream.
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote