CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
ZenUSC
Captain9Dragons
JaxcockFL
Legalman72
We Have to Pass (1748)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1342)
Spurrier weekly pres (1270)
This would be awesom (851)
How is Shaq Davidson (674)
McConaughey cast as (402)
Perspective on our g (359)
Defense and offense (292)
Black Friday Hard Co (244)
SEC referees? (225)
We Have to Pass
Currently 2nd in attendan
Why has there been 40 yea
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Daniel Fennell
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred

Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #61
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina football coaching future

If he's still on our staff Whammy will be our next head coach.

He's being groomed for it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #62
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Ward?
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #63
BlackMagic84
Esquire

Male

CockyCash: 500
BlackMagic84 has earned his spursBlackMagic84 has earned his spursBlackMagic84 has earned his spursBlackMagic84 has earned his spursBlackMagic84 has earned his spursBlackMagic84 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

Disagree.

Before you jump on me, let me say, I like Whammy and I respect him. He has done a great job taking over for EJ two years ago and getting the most out of his defense and getting them to improve and develop as the year goes on.

BUT.....

Whammy is a "blue-collar" style coach. And hey, there is nothing wrong with that. He's a no-nonsense, don't beat around the bush, get things done kind of guy. Very much like EJ was and is. But he just to me, does not possess that "it" factor it takes to be a successful head coach.

I know, I'm being cloudy and fuzzy.....it is hard to explain....

Let me put it this way, let's look at successful long term SEC coaches (past and present).....

-Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Gus Malzahn (he's new, but still counts), Urban Meyer, Les Miles, even Houston Nutt at times, James Franklin, Bobby Petrino (hey if not for the affair and bike accident he would still be at Arky whipping our butt)

......Love or hate any of these guys, it doesn't matter........These guys are what I call "thinking coaches". Creative, quick whitted, smart teachers of the game, assertive. They know how to be a "Ship Captain". Natural born leaders. Etc., etc., etc.....I can go on and on with the analogies.

Whammy, as much as I love him to death, just isn't in this category, neither was EJ. And that's ok, not everybody can be.

I can't be an astronaut (I'm too fat and scared of heights), I can't be an engineer (because I suck at math), or a brain surgeon (lets not go there)......but I am one hell of a real estate agent.

We all have our own bag of "special tools and talents". Whammy has many, but a head coach.......nope, just doesn't have it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #64
MPinholster
Walk On

Male

MPinholster has hatched from the shell

Zombie Spurrier will be our coach in 2025
MPinholster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #65
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

I know this gets tossed around a lot, but is that actually remotely true? Have people on the inside hinted at this? I love Whammy, but I don't think he's a head coach.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #66
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I just call it "being reasonable". I watch football to have fun. I don't think I would have fun watching a sucky team.
Every fanbase you jump from must hate you. Pick a team and stick with it, otherwise the passion isn't genuine.

Serious question, do you own 3+ college teams' apparel/memorabilia?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #67
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
I know this gets tossed around a lot, but is that actually remotely true? Have people on the inside hinted at this? I love Whammy, but I don't think he's a head coach.
I remember when folks here said the same about Charlie Strong.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #68
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

Holt..Sportier...Ward?? I like Ward but I cant see him running the show..much like Ellis..
Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #69
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

When the time comes, I think SOS will have a major say in who replaces him. While I doubt Ray will rubberstamp his choice out of hand, he will give everything he says much consideration and it could end up being that way.

Ray, being a former great HC, will not automatically go for a big name hire, but someone who he thinks is a great coach, first and foremost. If that person happens to have some connect to the program or is a big name, too, then that is all gravy.

SOS is a loyal guy to those loyal to him. My first guess it will be someone on the staff. Whammy will be a HC after next season (or so I guess) and there will be enough time to consider how he does at his new gig before looking at him as a possible replacement.

I'm guessing we are at least 5 years away from this sad day coming. Heck, I bet SOS doesn't even know.

If I had to guess...GA Mangus. Great recruiter, young enough to stay for many years, knows the program inside out, long history with SOS.

As for fair weather fans? No matter how "fair" they have been, when they pull up stakes, they will not be missed. Fans are there for the tough times, especially Gamecock fans, for that is all most of us knew growing up.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #70
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic84 View Post
Ok, here's my two cents.......hope I don't tick anyone off, but I'm gonna be honest based off what I've read.....

-Bob Stoops is not leaving Oklahoma anytime soon....I don't believe he'll make the jump to the NFL, he's had his chances before and passed.

-Ellis Johnson is a great assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, but a head coach he is not.

-Charlie Strong will never coach here. If he's successful he will stay at Texas for a long time, if he's unsuccessful then why would you want him???

-John Gruden will never coach here. He's done as a coach IMO, he loves that TV and that color commentating chair entirely too much. Plus he has little to no college-level experience on his resume. The guy is an NFL guy, not an NCAA guy. He could have had the UT job and passed.

-Dantonio has been gone from the south and southern football since he left in the late 70's. I like him and what he's done for MSU and glad he's a former gamecock, but he doesn't resemble a SEC type coach. Plus with his age (supposing Spurrier retires in about 4 years), I don't see us whooing a 65 year old Dantonio. This would not be a good long term plan of strategy.

Other names I saw but just are a big fat flat out NOOOOOOO.....Dan Mullen, no I'm not gonna go there, but just a flat out NO!

Truth is, I don't have the answer......the guy may not be on the map just yet. Or he could be just right under our nose.......how bout Sean Elliot or G.A. Mangus......laugh if you want but these two guys basically call all the plays with Spurrier, both have studied under him for years now, especially G.A. Both are young (can be around a long time) and are great recruiters. They are already in the know and in the system and know what works and how we do things around here.

It has been really nice to have Holtz first and then hire Spurrier, BUT you don't need to hire a big name every time to continue with already well established success. See Jimbo Fisher and Gus Malzahn......who were these guys 4 years ago? Relatively a bunch of no-bodies and assistants at the program's they just took to the National Championship game tonight.

Go ahead, call me crazy.............got anything better????
Jimbo: As FSU's offensive coordinator from 2007-09, the Seminoles improved each season to rank among the ACC leaders in total offense.
Offensive coordinator for the 2003 National Champion LSU Tigers.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #71
GratefulGamecock
Walk On

Male

GratefulGamecock is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic84 View Post
Ok, here's my two cents.......hope I don't tick anyone off, but I'm gonna be honest based off what I've read.....

-Bob Stoops is not leaving Oklahoma anytime soon....I don't believe he'll make the jump to the NFL, he's had his chances before and passed.

-Ellis Johnson is a great assistant head coach/defensive coordinator, but a head coach he is not.

-Charlie Strong will never coach here. If he's successful he will stay at Texas for a long time, if he's unsuccessful then why would you want him???

-John Gruden will never coach here. He's done as a coach IMO, he loves that TV and that color commentating chair entirely too much. Plus he has little to no college-level experience on his resume. The guy is an NFL guy, not an NCAA guy. He could have had the UT job and passed.

-Dantonio has been gone from the south and southern football since he left in the late 70's. I like him and what he's done for MSU and glad he's a former gamecock, but he doesn't resemble a SEC type coach. Plus with his age (supposing Spurrier retires in about 4 years), I don't see us whooing a 65 year old Dantonio. This would not be a good long term plan of strategy.

Other names I saw but just are a big fat flat out NOOOOOOO.....Dan Mullen, no I'm not gonna go there, but just a flat out NO!

Truth is, I don't have the answer......the guy may not be on the map just yet. Or he could be just right under our nose.......how bout Sean Elliot or G.A. Mangus......laugh if you want but these two guys basically call all the plays with Spurrier, both have studied under him for years now, especially G.A. Both are young (can be around a long time) and are great recruiters. They are already in the know and in the system and know what works and how we do things around here.

It has been really nice to have Holtz first and then hire Spurrier, BUT you don't need to hire a big name every time to continue with already well established success. See Jimbo Fisher and Gus Malzahn......who were these guys 4 years ago? Relatively a bunch of no-bodies and assistants at the program's they just took to the National Championship game tonight.

Go ahead, call me crazy.............got anything better????
Good post, but I think Gruden does want to coach here in all honesty. Spurrier and him are friends which is a bonus, he told Marcus on his qb camp special that he loved USC and where we are going, and as much as he may love commentating, you know he has that Gruden itch to get out there and coach again with the "big boys". I remember Gruden saying in a pregame show that he could see himself coach at a place like South Carolina. Also your point saying he has little to no college experience is true, but I think he wants to go to college to prove that he is a great coach.

One scenario I can see a HBC change is Spurrier stepping down right after winning an NC or SEC championship and having GA or Jr step up as HC as they've been planning all year. This seems most likely to me because, as a previous poster said, tanner wants to keep things intact and promote from within. Also, GA and Elliot have been with spurrier, especially GA, for a long time and have studied the game under him so can take over right where OBC left off.

But I agree that all of this is irrelevant as spurrier is having the best time of his life right now. I can see him sitting there just drinking a doors heavy reading the polls (and how Kenny got arrested) with not a single care in the world, except when his next tee time is. So cheers to a healthy four , maybe 28?, more years with The Ol' ball coach at the helm!
GratefulGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #72
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

why have this discussion now? spurrier has 3 more yrs at least..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #73
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Since the coaching carousel is turning right now and it's a big topic of who will be where, it got me thinking. Spurrier will be 69 in April. I believe he told Connor Mitch that if he came to Carolina that he would be the head coach his whole career here. I know that could be as long as 4 years away and Spurrier has said winning here has rejuvenated him. I know it's still way too early to predict a next head coach here and I'm all for focusing on now and enjoying the HBC while he's here.

That being said, with Strong going to Texas and James Franklin most likely at a new school maybe this off-season next at the latest.

Who are some guys ya'll are looking at as our next potential coach? Do ya'll think it will be a young on fire coach that can recruit, a guy with Carolina ties or an established coach or a mixture? Who do ya'll want and why?
Dabo Swinny
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #74
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_usc_freak92 View Post
Every fanbase you jump from must hate you. Pick a team and stick with it, otherwise the passion isn't genuine.

Serious question, do you own 3+ college teams' apparel/memorabilia?
I'm honored to be so important that I affect strangers' feelings. But I only have 2 teams' apparel - I like Memphis Tigers basketball and South Carolina football. It's interesting that everybody takes such great offense to my hypothetical team-switching scenario. I would quit liking South Carolina if they started sucking like they did before Spurrier. Everybody is acting like this is inevitable. I would prefer that South Carolina does not suck so I can continue to like them.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #75
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaoke_Jesus View Post
Ellis Johnson seems like a pretty good choice to me.
Lol. Wut? He went 0-11 at Southern Miss as a head coach and was fired. He will never be the head coach at SC.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #76
Karaoke_Jesus
Walk On

Male

Karaoke_Jesus has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Lol. Wut? He went 0-11 at Southern Miss as a head coach and was fired. He will never be the head coach at SC.
I could see his age being more a factor than that one season at Southern Miss. He went 0-12
Karaoke_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #77
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons

Would like to see Shaw come back after 3-4 years in NFL, get on the coaching staff and work his way up to head coach.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #78
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I think it will be someone with SEC ties. Houston Nutt would be good imo. Let Mangus or Elliot take over offensive coordinator.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #79
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I think it will be someone with SEC ties. Houston Nutt would be good imo. Let Mangus or Elliot take over offensive coordinator.
WAT.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #80
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

4-5 years from now...I'd like to see Rhett Lashlie coach a few more years but he's on the radar. Kliff Kingsbury fall under the next few years as well.

Tomorrow...I'm just as intrigued by as I am afraid of Kirby Smart as a HC. Seems like an Ellis Johnson guy to me...good on D once it's built but shoddy at the other details

-Ward? Just hell no...I can't stand to hear hims peak enough to listen to him as HC.

In summary, if we had to hire a coach tomorrow...we're royally ****ed. No decent names available