CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
roosterdude21
Badazcock
4gamecockfb
Team Garcia
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (26967)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2042)
Simple "yes&quo (1437)
Phil Steele just pre (1171)
Eat Crow (738)
Garcia: Change the R (724)
TeMarcus Blanton (688)
We actually didnt lo (628)
Extremely Proud (554)
what I think ab ward (486)
what I think ab ward
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
End of the first half....
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Defense question
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
Extremely Proud
We would be 7-1 with just
Nick Marshall

Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #61
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Final AP poll puts us at No. 4...wow.

I like it. Our resume was rewarded properly.

I am going to have to try to see if I can get a high four from the taters at work today.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #62
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
If I am not mistaken, BCS does not come out with an update after the bowls - they just use their poll to facilitate setting up the BCS bowls.....I am happy enough with the AP and Coaches final polls!!!!
Nothing official. I imagine someone will tabulate the rankings based on the formula. Maybe Brad Edwards, BCS Expert (Brad will be looking for a new identity after this season).
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #63
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Congrats on a great final ranking...I think they got the top 5 exactly right, which is impressive for the pollsters.

Tennessee played #2, #4, @#5, @#7 and @#9 of the final AP poll. Tough road for a rebuilding team!

I think a 5-7 team beating #4 would have to be considered the biggest upset in college football this season right? I don't feel like it is talked about enough nationally as a big upset.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #64
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Congrats on a great final ranking...I think they got the top 5 exactly right, which is impressive for the pollsters.

Tennessee played #2, #4, @#5, @#7 and @#9 of the final AP poll. Tough road for a rebuilding team!

I think a 5-7 team beating #4 would have to be considered the biggest upset in college football this season right? I don't feel like it is talked about enough nationally as a big upset.
Good lord, man. You're UT, not Chaminade. Gamecocks were only a touchdown favorite in that game. They were plenty of heavier favorites that lost, including Bama and Baylor in bowl games. Also, several BCS conference schools lost to FCS opponents, including Kansas State to one of the Dakota schools.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #65
cocked&ready2rock
Recruit

Male

cocked&ready2rock has hatched from the shell

Someone from espn was on with Dan Patrick ( sorry can remember his name) this morning and said that as of today his four team playoff would be Au, FSU, Mich St, and SC. Said he felt like after watching the bowl games the Tenn loss knocked SC out of the BCS Championship game.
cocked&ready2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #66
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post

Nice job of giving a backhanded compliment while managing to rub it in how we crapped the bed. It was a bit unnecessary.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #67
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Our schedule looks a lot more impressive at the end of the year.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #68
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I spoke to Mark Bradley of the AJC last Thursday and he said the way we finished the year with a 6 game win streak beating 3 ranked opponents plus Florida and Miss State in that streak was as impressive as any team except Auburn. I was surprised he followed us that closely. While he thinks SOS can be a pain, he had a ton of respect for him as coach and as a person who builds programs the right way. So I am not surprised that we got ranked as high as we did. We are more relevant on a national stage than Clempson. That is a straight up fact. Next year will be tough with all of the new players we will be breaking in on D. We should be fun to watch and have a good chance to get to Atlanta if we get good CB play.
Clemson fans don't like it, but the SEC stage is what makes us nationally relevant just by competing for a championship. With the SEC Network coming onboard throughout the southeast soon, it will only get better for us and worse for them. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Nice job of giving a backhanded compliment while managing to rub it in how we crapped the bed. It was a bit unnecessary.
I disagree with you. It was an upset, but not a collosal one.

All you need to do is look at Auburn, a team that won zero SEC games last year, to realize that the margin for error between winning and losing in the SEC is razor thin. You lost to UGA in OT because of a lucky break. Granted, the Vols receiver made that unbelievable catch to make up for it against Caroina, but that is football. Your team played USC very well and it was not luck that you won that game. Your team earned it. Also, Neyland is still a tough road environment for anyone.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #69
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Clemson fans don't like it, but the SEC stage is what makes us nationally relevant just by competing for a championship. With the SEC Network coming onboard throughout the southeast soon, it will only get better for us and worse for them. Ha.
Actually Clemson beating Ohio State is a big part of the reason as well as UCF beating Baylor and Louisville, and UNC looking good in their bowl. It's not just our Conference, though it does help that MSU smoked Rice and Vanderbilt had a good year with a strong finish. Where are all the dummies that said it was a huge mistake to schedule that game at UCF now?
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #70
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:

All you need to do is look at Auburn, a team that won zero SEC games last year, to realize that the margin for error between winning and losing in the SEC is razor thin. You lost to UGA in OT because of a lucky break. Granted, the Vols receiver made that unbelievable catch to make up for it against Caroina, but that is football. Your team played USC very well and it was not luck that you won that game. Your team earned it. Also, Neyland is still a tough road environment for anyone.
So our failure to execute a simple swing pass (one of many drops in that game for us) was because of something UT did to upset us? Our offense screwed the pooch in that game, and anyone who says or believes something different is either trying to make the loss seem better than it was, or they watched a different game.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #71
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
So our failure to execute a simple swing pass (one of many drops in that game for us) was because of something UT did to upset us? Our offense screwed the pooch in that game, and anyone who says or believes something different is either trying to make the loss seem better than it was, or they watched a different game.
Don't forget special teams. UT's punter kicked a 64 yarder and dropped 6 punts inside the 20. Our punter was, well, our punter. Fry missed a field goal as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #72
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Don't forget special teams. UT's punter kicked a 64 yarder and dropped 6 punts inside the 20. Our punter was, well, our punter. Fry missed a field goal as well.
To be fair, UT missed a FG as well.

As far as our ranking goes, I'm actually really surprised we finished in the top five. I thought that we should, but when it came down to it a few voters would put us around six or seven with Oklahoma jumping us. What I'm most impressed with is finishing three spots ahead of Alabama.

A top five AP finish. Just another notch on Spurrier's firsts here.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #73
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Great for postseason. we'll be 14 in preseason and Clemson will be around 18 or 19

Dang dude...I just looked at the way to early top 25 from ESPN. You are good.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #74
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Wow, I just knew Okie would be ahead of us. So happy to be wrong.

The word here is
"Elite."
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #75
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

We are legit now, big time... elite.

The nation has taken freaking forever to recognize us, but they finally had to acknowledge the greatness of the Fightin' Gamecocks and the best damn coach in college football.

By the way, I expect Connor Shaw's draft stock to go up in...

3... 2... 1...

He should get major points for steering our team to #4.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #76
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
If I am not mistaken, BCS does not come out with an update after the bowls - they just use their poll to facilitate setting up the BCS bowls.....I am happy enough with the AP and Coaches final polls!!!!
The BCS uses Sagarin's ELO which ranks us #2...fwiw.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #77
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

"Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory."

"Hallelujah!"
Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #78
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Congrats Gamecocks!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #79
uscalum92
Walk On

Male

uscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Very good observation - granted they've proven to be the best FCS program by far, but Top 25 overall o_O ?

EDIT: Just checked - no votes in the USA Today poll
I don't believe the coaches can vote for an FCS team in their poll.

There is no question that NDSU is a great FCS program; but it's an absolute joke for the AP writers to vote them into the poll. Maybe on a one-game basis (see Kansas State) they can compete with FBS programs, but there is no way they survive an entire schedule of FBS teams with just 63 scholarships. That's why the FCS has its own poll.
uscalum92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #80
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:

This, you can go to any season and say that you were close to winning a couple of games, as well as losing some. Take UT for instance they had a good chance to lose against USC, and South BAMA to go 3-9 for the year, but they also were 1 corrected play from beating UGA, and 4 points from beating Vandy to finish 7-5. USC could of lost to UK, UCF, Mizzou, and UF to finish 6-6, but could of beaten UT to finish 11-1 at the end of the season.

Also awesome on the finish. USC earned this.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote