CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
Fight, win, kick a-- (1355)
Why I'm hopeful abou (989)
The Gator Bowl wants (978)
CFN prediction for a (924)
USC will upset Aubur (794)
A simple defensive l (778)
What happened to thi (711)
In-state QB talent (574)
This is War (399)
Texas athletic direc (363)
In-state QB talent
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
Cann tipping plays?

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #1761
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Recruiting Impressions

If you are awarded a scholarship and play football, no matter how many other sports you play, that scholarship is counted towards football.

The Bear Bryant rule, I believe (swimmer scholarships for running backs).

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #1762
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
If you are awarded a scholarship and play football, no matter how many other sports you play, that scholarship is counted towards football.

The Bear had been dead for a dozen years when the scholarship limit was inacted in 1994.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #1763
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
According to TBS, Lamin counts back to 2013, which means we can take an additional 22 come NSD.
As of today, GCC has us at 85 on scholly. That includes the current class of 16 plus Fry, Rhodes and McLaurin and removing Salley. The cap this year is 82. So for us to have 23 in this class, he need to have attrition of 10 players. 85+7(23-16)-10=82
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #1764
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
The Bear had been dead for a dozen years when the scholarship limit was inacted in 1994.
I obviously meant Bear Bryant, Jr.

But seriously, just because the man was dead doesn't mean it wasn't named after him. Ever heard of the Washington Monument? Probably wasn't built when Washington was alive.

I believe it was the "140 Rule", where a school couldn't have more than 140 total football and basketball players and couldn't sign more than 40 or so players a year, so Bryant would get them on track scholarships. Just because the new rule limitations came about later doesn't mean they weren't fashioned in a way that would prevent the type of loophole use that began with Bear Bryant. Maybe I'm wrong, but, hey, at least I wasn't a prick about it. :)

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #1765
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

NFL scout/draft analyst take on our guys (per GCC):
1. Clowney - top 5 no surprise
2. Ellington - early day 3 (good WR class working against him)
3. Shaw - good shot at late rounds
4. Hampton - character issue (late day 2)
5. Quarles - motor runs hot and cold, inconsistent (maybe 2nd, probably 3rd or 4th)
6. Sutton, Legree, Patrick - Sutton has best chance, struggled setting the edge (mid to late day 3)
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #1766
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
I obviously meant Bear Bryant, Jr.

But seriously, just because the man was dead doesn't mean it wasn't named after him. Ever heard of the Washington Monument? Probably wasn't built when Washington was alive.

I believe it was the "140 Rule", where a school couldn't have more than 140 total football and basketball players and couldn't sign more than 40 or so players a year, so Bryant would get them on track scholarships. Just because the new rule limitations came about later doesn't mean they weren't fashioned in a way that would prevent the type of loophole use that began with Bear Bryant. Maybe I'm wrong, but, hey, at least I wasn't a prick about it. :)
Back in those days teams would bring 100 plus freshman a year and then run most of them off by having incredibly difficult practices,bordering on brutality.For a great picture of how the old days were try to find a copy of "Meat on the Hoof." An expose' written about the Texas football program of the late 1960's.One of the first books exposing how big time college programs were run.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #1767
sully1
4-Star

Male

sully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his claws

I thought Legree was our best corner this year. I would draft him over Hampton.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #1768
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Talked about this a little on the Isaiah Ford thread, with Bruce leaving early the picture for 2015 WR's and a year of development may open up another spot for a WR in this class. C2 has pointed out several times that WR's usually take a year in our system to really get into the swing of things. Another poster's thoughts on that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Jones is gone too, so that's an interesting question.

I would guess it (the 2015 2 deep) would be some combination of Googer, Davidson, Samuel, Cooper, Jeffery (that's the interesting one), and one more. Your guess on that name is as good as mine.
Googer will be rehabbing his knee injury in 2014, so while he will be ready in 2015 he probably won't have that much practice time under his belt. Davidson, Samuel and Cooper are all excellent options, but who is behind them?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #1769
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

You're correct.

However, like I stated, I believe Bruce came here on a basketball scholly, played one season, then switched to football, and was placed on a football scholly.

My point is Ford could potentially do this, since most true freshmen WR's don't play much. He could play B-ball his freshman year, get in some Spring and Summer work, then be placed on a football scholly for the 2015 year.

Just a possible way to make the numbers work, and he still gets to play both sports.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #1770
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Googer may end up at CB as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #1771
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
apparently not....he will become a free agent though, so he'll have his chance. I always thought he played pretty well too....not flashy, just did his job.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #1772
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Googer may end up at CB as well.
what....where did you see that.....he's 6'4' 210....not hardly the right size for a CB....
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #1773
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

I saw today where Tennessee has 15 early enrollees. Holy cow! I know that's not normal. How did they swing that?

I have also noticed that we have been recruiting more than a few guys that are having trouble making grades. Anybody worried about that? I know grades don't directly reflect the character of kids but there is a correlation between the 2 sometimes. Toward the end of his time here Holtz recruited a bunch of idiots that were good players to try and win and we had more than a few thugs on the team. I really don't want to have issues with academics with our players. Anybody think that will be an issue when they get on campus?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #1774
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Coaches play attention to the grades and character stuff before they take. The present team has a lot of resources and team chemistry to do a good job handling both problems. There's enough quality on-board to allow proper disciplinary action and to not ignore ill-behavior either academically or in personal lives. Even top recruits have felt the sting when needed, and you can bet the coaches make mentorship and assistance to struggling athletes a priority. I believe they also enlist help family as appropriate and available.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #1775
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
You're correct.

However, like I stated, I believe Bruce came here on a basketball scholly, played one season, then switched to football, and was placed on a football scholly.

My point is Ford could potentially do this, since most true freshmen WR's don't play much. He could play B-ball his freshman year, get in some Spring and Summer work, then be placed on a football scholly for the 2015 year.

Just a possible way to make the numbers work, and he still gets to play both sports.
I'm not sure that works because he is still practicing and is "part of the football team" therefore his scholly goes on football.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #1776
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I saw today where Tennessee has 15 early enrollees. Holy cow! I know that's not normal. How did they swing that?

I have also noticed that we have been recruiting more than a few guys that are having trouble making grades. Anybody worried about that? I know grades don't directly reflect the character of kids but there is a correlation between the 2 sometimes. Toward the end of his time here Holtz recruited a bunch of idiots that were good players to try and win and we had more than a few thugs on the team. I really don't want to have issues with academics with our players. Anybody think that will be an issue when they get on campus?
UGA typically does, too. They pursue a lot of JUCO and they try to get as many kids in early as possible when appropriate. I wish our coaches could get more in early. It's a massive advantage
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #1777
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

I think Green is heading to UGA. C2 said something about going after Kyle Gibson from Vandy. Is there any chance he flips?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #1778
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
I think Green is heading to UGA. C2 said something about going after Kyle Gibson from Vandy. Is there any chance he flips?
According to Rivals, he doesn't even have an offer from us.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #1779
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Are there any Vandy recruits we might be looking at going after or is our plate full pursuing the guys we're already pursuing?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #1780
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Hope Legree gets his chance.
Closed Thread