CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
Badazcock
spareparts
18IsTheMan
Gamecocks1137
Spotter22
Spurrier_Superior_On
trapper82
NineInchSpurs
2000grad
Mike Davis (2780)
Terrible Officiating (1668)
Cack's Toast of the (1523)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1158)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1127)
If (big IF) we can w (954)
No Gurley near the g (912)
How the top 25 SHOUL (762)
Elliott Fry crushes (753)
USC vs Mizzou on CBS (746)
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
20 of 31 former players s
If (big IF) we can win bi
Malcolm Mitchell
Mike Davis
Really excited to visit t
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
carolina vs clemson ticke
Defense v. Vanderbilt
No Gurley near the goal l

Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Barbecue cooked with pecan wood

It sounds sacrilegious, who would chop down a perfectly good pecan tree? It actually gives the meat a good flavor, ate some pulled pork barbecue in Pasadena, and it was very good, anyone know a place that uses pecan?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Barbecue cooked with pecan wood

Lots of people use pecan as well as oak, hickory etc. Some pros use wood from fruit trees as well. You don't have to cut down a perfectly good tree, many orchards will have limbs from pruning or trees that blew over, lightning strikes and some maybe need to be culled.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I use pecan sometimes in my Bradley, usually as an intermediate smoke. I might go with 200 minutes hickory for the deep smoke, 40 minutes of pecan for the middle and 20 minutes of cherry for the finish. Here are some wood types: http://www.ehow.com/list_6462319_smoker-wood-types.html

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Dam Racals
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Dam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his claws

I use pecan from start to finish, when smoking boston butts.
Dam Racals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Nice!
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
woodscock
Blue Chip

Male

woodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPitwoodscock rules the CockPit

I use pecan or apple.
woodscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I use pecan sometimes in my Bradley, usually as an intermediate smoke. I might go with 200 minutes hickory for the deep smoke, 40 minutes of pecan for the middle and 20 minutes of cherry for the finish. Here are some wood types: http://www.ehow.com/list_6462319_smoker-wood-types.html
Gotta say it, you are a modern day Renaissance man.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Gotta say it, you are a modern day Renaissance man.
Yance is untouchable !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Pecan is really good for Q. For pork I use a mix of pecan and peach or cherry.
My wife doesn't like hickory, thinks it is to heavy on the smoke flavor. One thing I have started using over the last several years is pimento wood. This is what they do in Jamaica for jerk chicken. It is really nice with the whiter end of a pork loin as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Pecan is really good for Q. For pork I use a mix of pecan and peach or cherry.
My wife doesn't like hickory, thinks it is to heavy on the smoke flavor. One thing I have started using over the last several years is pimento wood. This is what they do in Jamaica for jerk chicken. It is really nice with the whiter end of a pork loin as well.
Where do you go to buy these different woods?
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

I almost always use pecan or apple when smoking ribs. Usually mix it.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscock View Post
I use pecan or apple.
This, you can also use water soaked pecan shells. I can get a truckload full of em for about $30. They can get hot so you have to monitor closely. Its a bit more labor intensive than just using wood, but it's very good.. and cheap.

I am doing a butt this weekend. I LOVE Apple wood. My favorite.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Any place that sells The Big Green Egg or Traeger grills would probably have fruit wood chunks, chips, or pellets. I've seen a few Ace Hardware stores here in Charlotte that carry both.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll View Post
Any place that sells The Big Green Egg or Traeger grills would probably have fruit wood chunks, chips, or pellets. I've seen a few Ace Hardware stores here in Charlotte that carry both.
Thx
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Pecan is my #1 most used wood. I'll use Hickory some too, but 99% of the time is I'm cooking with pecan

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post

I don't see the changing of wood altering anything. "They say" meat doesn't take smoker after 4 hours of smoking ... which is why a lot of people wrap around that time frame.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

You can go to Academy and get large bags of wood. That's where I get mine.

I've never cooked with Apple. The same exact bag of Pecan wood is $10, but Apple is $20. Just because the term "apple wood smoked" is popular, doesn't mean it's any better than the next. If anything, apple should be cheaper. I'm sure there's a LOT more apple trees in the world that pecan.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Wagz
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I don't see the changing of wood altering anything. "They say" meat doesn't take smoker after 4 hours of smoking ... which is why a lot of people wrap around that time frame.
X2

I prefer hickory. The wife like's pecan and apple. IMO pecan is a lighter not so strong version of hickory, similar flavor just not quite as strong.
Wagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Most good outdoor/sports stores now have nice grilling sections. I normally order online around Christmas because a lot of places will have sales or at least free shipping which is the biggest issue with ordering online. There are a lot of suppliers, just google your preference of chips or pellets.

Pimento is a little harder to find and is expensive. I mix it with Maple and it goes a lot farther and you get a good flavor from the pimento wood still. Yancey might have a good source with his Jamaican roots.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
X2

I prefer hickory. The wife like's pecan and apple. IMO pecan is a lighter not so strong version of hickory, similar flavor just not quite as strong.
Yep, with my injection and rub, the pecan just adds a little sweet flavor to it.