CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
cocks are us
robgusc76
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
A. Pilgrim
Cockhornleghorn
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2064)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (957)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (829)
Herbstreit on " (819)
Little know stat (We (776)
SEC QB's in the Red (775)
Gamecockology Helms (704)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (647)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (409)
Where do you like to (339)
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Sports no longer fun?
Meta: Is there a notifica
Halo: Master Chief Collec
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
We're going to the NCAA T
NFL: REDSKINS @ COWBOYS M
For all the uniform junki
Gamecockology Helms

Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: USC's Final Statistical Ranking (National)

Looks like we may end up replacing our ST Coach, he just isn't cutting it.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
Todescock
4-Star

Male

Todescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervous

I really believe we were a good punter away from being in the national title game... We beat Tenn with a better punter and I really think we were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season.
Todescock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #23
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

front 7 play and ST wins championships
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
The glaring problem is special teams. Damn!
Special teams didn't cost us one game in the last two seasons.
1801Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #25
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1801Green View Post
Poor special teams was a reason we lost to Tennessee
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #26
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

The biggest thing we could EASILY do to fix special teams is for the KOR to take a knee in the endzone and take a free 25. There were too many instances where we tried to run it out, and got tackled before the 20.

The national avg was about 21 yards. If we would've taken a touchback on 90% of the kicks (which is about the % of kicks that reached our endzone, we would've had a KOR avg of around 24 yards, which would've put us in the Top 15.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1801Green View Post
True, it cost us several.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Not that long ago, 452.3 yards per game on offense would put you in the top 10 nationally.
You must be old as the damn hills then

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I must admit, seeing those stats I am amazed at the outcome of our year. I know there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but the offense was above average at best per the numbers. Defense was better overall, but had a few weaknesses too. Throw ST on top and my goodness.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #30
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Not that long ago, 452.3 yards per game on offense would put you in the top 10 nationally.
That's what i said when I read those stats! And 34.1 ppg would be pretty high as well. That is the insane pace offense runs at these days. I think our offense was very good despite bogging down late in the year.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #31
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Looks like the one thing we did best was cause the other team to turn the ball over more often than us almost every game on average.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
That's what i said when I read those stats! And 35 ppg would be pretty high as well. That is the insane pace offense runs at these days. I think our offense was very good despite bogging down late in the year.
I could be wrong, but I think we set the school record for YPG and touchdowns scored this year.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #33
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I must admit, seeing those stats I am amazed at the outcome of our year. I know there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but the offense was above average at best per the numbers. Defense was better overall, but had a few weaknesses too. Throw ST on top and my goodness.
Again, referencing my earlier post, all but 14 of those teams putting up stats - offense and defense, play in weaker conferences than ours. Stats piled up in the Pac 12 get you closer to the top statistically, but don't make you a top team. We gave up a lot defensively against Georgia, and did little against Tennessee offensively. Those hurt our standing and killed our title hopes. We only had one gross overmatch team on our schedule and played the waterboy against them. Most other schools had 2-3 overmatches. Check Bama, Auburn, Mizz, Clemson. Those games move them up the stat ladder but don't make them better.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 01-07-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #34
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
True, it cost us several.
^ I back this 100%. Our punting sux monkey balls and our ko returns suck what lies under those. Neither has definitely helped win us any games lately!! I don't understand how a D1 punter can not consistently kick over 40 yds/punt or even worse, kicks it in the end zone instead of pinning the other team deep in their end of the field.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #35
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I think playing Wisconsin in the bowl game hurt our rushing D and helped our passing D numbers out.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #36
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

At the end of the year if you would have told me that our defense would have 12th in passing early on, I would have not believed it.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #37
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

This was by far the best offense that we had under Spurrier. A lot of explosiveness and home run capability this year. It was kind of a strange feeling this year because I felt like everytime our offense got the ball, then they were going to score.

Defensively I felt like we got a lot better as the year wore on. The only thing I really don't get about our defense was the way ground and pound teams could run on us with ease. I don't know whether to attribute that to poor DT play, or scheme, or what. It just really surprised me.

Special teams....other than field goals, I thought we were horrible.
treys1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #38
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todescock View Post
I really believe we were a good punter away from being in the national title game... We beat Tenn with a better punter and I really think we were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season.
I don't follow you. I understand that if we had a better punter we probably would have beaten UT. But we would have had to beat Auburn to play for the national title. Auburn smoked UT by over 30 points and ran for nearly 450 yards against the Vols. We would need more than a better punter to be the Tigers.

Also on the stats: We tied Navy, Air Force, Army, and Louisville for the fewest interceptions thrown at 4.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I wonder what Clemson's is compared to ours?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #40
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
I don't follow you. I understand that if we had a better punter we probably would have beaten UT. But we would have had to beat Auburn to play for the national title. Auburn smoked UT by over 30 points and ran for nearly 450 yards against the Vols. We would need more than a better punter to be the Tigers.

Also on the stats: We tied Navy, Air Force, Army, and Louisville for the fewest interceptions thrown at 4.
two triple option teams that hardly ever throw

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote