CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
talkincock
doubledribble
**USC vs. South Alab (18504)
Clemson (2453)
Drew Owens missing? (2356)
Question about after (1980)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1246)
Shaq Roland (1220)
FishFry 47-yarder (714)
clemson game time: N (698)
How about this scena (555)
Tenn-Mizzou game (412)
Na'ty Rogers
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
Winston
what I think ab ward
Question about after the
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank

Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Maddux & Glavine first ballot HOF

Gather round, children, and let me tell you about the GREATEST PITCHING ROTATION OF ALL TIME.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...2014-announced

I once saw Maddux pitch a game at Fulton County Stadium that lasted about one hour and twenty minutes. He was just mowing down people, getting them out on first-pitch grounders and I think his pitch count was one of the lowest in MLB history. I honestly think we only went to the concession stand once because the game was so short. After the game was over, he told the media something to the effect of, "it was really hot out there and I just didn't feel like being out in that heat all day."

Dude was IN FRICKING CREDIBLE.

Glavine, for the record = alien space being.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Maddux & Glavine first ballot HOF

Cockytalk Cooperstown vacation? Maddux, Glavine and Bobby all going in
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Woooo "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas also got in, War Eagle.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Well deserved! Mad dog and glavine were surgeons on the mound.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz might go down as the best pitching trio in MLB history. I absolutely loved being able to watch these guys pitch while cheering for the team they play for. Well deserved indeed.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Definitely well deserved for Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas. As a Braves fan, I'm glad to see Maddux and Glavine along with Bobby Cox get inducted to the HOF in the same year.

Sucks for Craig Biggio though. Fell 2 votes short of induction. I think it's a farce that he wasn't elected last year or this year. Dude's a no-brainer candidate imo.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

I've seen Glavine and Maddux pitch countless times when I was younger. I was spoiled enough to go to at least one game a month with my siblings. I've witnessed some masterful performances by both over the years. I always thought Maddux was some kind of magician. He didn't have the power to blow you away, but he was an absolute genius, and had the accuracy of a sniper.

Was always convinced you could place a strike-anywhere match on a stand at home plate, and Maddux could throw a pitch and light it.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Maddux is probably the most amazing pitcher I have ever seen live, and that includes some serious names and quite a few playoff and WS games by others. He was seriously amazing live
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz might go down as the best pitching trio in MLB history. I absolutely loved being able to watch these guys pitch while cheering for the team they play for. Well deserved indeed.
I grew up worshiping those guys, but I think that award has to go to Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, and Mike Cuellar of the early 70s Orioles.

Congrats to Greg, Tom, and Bobby.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
Lowcountry Gamecock
Shot Caller....

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lowcountry Gamecock has earned his spursLowcountry Gamecock has earned his spursLowcountry Gamecock has earned his spursLowcountry Gamecock has earned his spursLowcountry Gamecock has earned his spursLowcountry Gamecock has earned his spurs

Smoltzie will be in there soon enough with them, I loved watching them on summer evenings as a young man who was absolutely in love with the game of baseball.
Lowcountry Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
I've seen Glavine and Maddux pitch countless times when I was younger. I was spoiled enough to go to at least one game a month with my siblings. I've witnessed some masterful performances by both over the years. I always thought Maddux was some kind of magician. He didn't have the power to blow you away, but he was an absolute genius, and had the accuracy of a sniper.

Was always convinced you could place a strike-anywhere match on a stand at home plate, and Maddux could throw a pitch and light it.
His back door pitches were ridiculous. I've seen so many hitters take strike 3 looking at a pitch that seemed outside, but at the last second would catch the plate.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Both well deserved and going in with the Coach makes it even better !
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
His back door pitches were ridiculous. I've seen so many hitters take strike 3 looking at a pitch that seemed outside, but at the last second would catch the plate.
Yeah, both his 2-seam fastball and circle change would do that. All you would see is the hitter's knees buckle, then a dejected walk back to the dugout.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Maddux is probably the most amazing pitcher I have ever seen live, and that includes some serious names and quite a few playoff and WS games by others. He was seriously amazing live
Ditto, he carved people up like nobody I have ever seen, amazing movement on the ball and you could tell he was several steps ahead of the people he faced. I knew he and Glavine would get this, and so will Smoltzie when his time comes, absolute no brainers for Cooperstown.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Maddux was just as good against lefties as righties due to the back door breaking ball y'all just mentioned. It would look like he was throwing right at the lefty and then the ball would break back on the inside of the plate. Just nasty.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

I was at Wrigley field on opening day the year after Maddux left the cubbies for the Braves. I was a bleacher bum rooting for the Braves. The fans all hated him for bailing out on them. He pitched a 3 hitter and the Braves won 1-0. I almost missed the game but my brother convinced me to postpone my business meeting and go with them. I am so glad I did. It is the most memorable baseball game I ever went to.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #18
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly, then just stand there thinking "man... REALLY?!?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Yeah, both his 2-seam fastball and circle change would do that. All you would see is the hitter's knees buckle, then a dejected walk back to the dugout.
I swear that's baseball's version of a 'Walk of Shame', especially when Maddux made you look just stupid staring at a backdoor pitch that comes back and skims the edge of the plate.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #19
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

Who cares...big hurt for life!!!!!! This was like the best day of my life.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
ChuckyCock
Blue Chip

Male

ChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his combChuckyCock is developing his comb

And this commercial still cracks me up.

Congrats, guys. Thanks for spoiling us for so many years.
ChuckyCock is offline   Reply With Quote