CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
usc1
Gyle41386
Ole Miss Projected R (590)
Sunday college footb (534)
So who was the dude (514)
Early Pre-Season wom (509)
Kentucky Inmate Star (506)
Acock reviews the SE (481)
Tennessee hires Donn (447)
Get the SEC Network (447)
2001 vs Sandstorm (394)
Does anyone have a l (265)
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Name a Gamecock
2001 vs Sandstorm
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou
Does anyone have a link t
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle

Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #61
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Mitch, next big thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
You forgot about THompson Vs. ECU, his first start where he showed great field vision.
Actually, I didn't forget about it, but I knew many people thought ECU was an easy win. I was trying to illustrate that he has performed well under pressure. ECU is part of his 3-0 record.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #62
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

people are so damn delusional about untested, unproven kids.

no wonder half of you are always angry...bet you thought you marry a hard body 38-20-24 pin-up girl too huh.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #63
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Steve Spurrier is not starting a RS Freshman QB or a RS Sophomore with little to no game experience at home in two of the biggest games of the year against Texas A&M and Georgia in the first 3 weeks of the season.

Its not happening.

If there is a change at QB, it'll be after the first 3 games of the season. Furthermore, it'll probably have to be a scenario where USC is either 1-2 and has been terrible on offense or plays itself out of the SEC Race later in the season before Spurrier goes with the youth.

He is not going to handicap his offense off the bat like that especially when 4 of the first 5 games before our 1st BYE week are at home, where Dylan has been solid.

I think Nosovitch and Mitch have bright futures, but this isn't the time to be going with youth. Not when you have a 5th year Senior that has paid his dues and won football games for you.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem

Last edited by CoverTwo; 01-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #64
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Steve Spurrier is not starting a RS Freshman QB or a RS Sophomore with little to no game experience at home in two of the biggest games of the year against Texas A&M and Georgia in the first 3 weeks of the season.

Its not happening.

If there is a change at QB, it'll be after the first 3 games of the season. Furthermore, it'll probably have to be a scenario where USC is either 1-2 or plays itself out of the SEC Race later in the season before Spurrier goes with the youth.

He is not going to handicap his offense off the bat like that especially when the 4 of 5 games before our 1st BYE week are at home, where Dylan has been solid.

I think Nosovitch and Mitch have bright futures, but this isn't the time to be going with youth. Not when you have a 5th year Senior that has paid his dues and won football games for you.

Said the same thing to my brother during the bowl game. It will be Dylan's job until he proves he can't hold on to it.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #65
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

2015 is the year you give the keys to either Nosovitch or Mitch (or both).

The 2015 offense will be in complete rebuild mode. These guys will have to be replaced:

QB - Thompson
RB - Davis (I'm assuming he bolts if he has another 1,000 yard season)
WR - Byrd, Jones
TE - Anderson, Adams
OL - Shell, Robinson, Cann

And then you have to figure in any attrition between now and then.

That is a lot of experience and production to be replaced, and to be honest that 2015 offense is probably going to be a headache to watch. But if Coach Spurrier is able to groom the successor to Thompson along side the other new starters on offense that year and get through growing pains together, he could have another explosive offense in 2016.

But I don't think you put Nosovitch/Mitch in to start the season next year with all that we have coming back and try to go through growing pains. That's not fair to the other 10 guys especially when there is a guy that has done all you have asked, has shown that he is a talented passer, and has even won football games for you. You give him the first shot and ride him until the wheels fall off.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #66
cocked&ready2rock
Recruit

Male

cocked&ready2rock has hatched from the shell

Quote:

Its not happening.

If there is a change at QB, it'll be after the first 3 games of the season. Furthermore, it'll probably have to be a scenario where USC is either 1-2 and has been terrible on offense or plays itself out of the SEC Race later in the season before Spurrier goes with the youth.

He is not going to handicap his offense off the bat like that especially when 4 of the first 5 games are before our 1st BYE week and at home, where Dylan has been solid.

You and others continuously say this about youth. It seems that it has worked out fine for other teams and QB in the past. Winston, johnny football, tebow, those are just a few who played at a high level early. You act as tho it is unprecedented or something. Spurrier had no problem moving Shane Mathews right to the starting job early on.

Now i personally like DT he is my sons favorite player and I hope he runs away with the job. I just don't get how some of you like to act as tho it just can't be done here. When it has be proven it can be done and work out quite well. Not to mention for multiple years.
cocked&ready2rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #67
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:

The 2015 offense will be in complete rebuild mode. These guys will have to be replaced:

QB - Thompson
WR - Byrd, Jones
TE - Anderson, Adams

That is a lot of experience and production to be replaced, and to be honest that 2015 offense is probably going to be a headache to watch. But if Coach Spurrier is able to groom the successor to Thompson along side the other new starters on offense that year and get through growing pains together, he could have another explosive offense in 2016.

But I don't think you put Nosovitch/Mitch in to start the season next year with all that we have coming back and try to go through growing pains. That's not fair to the other 10 guys especially when there is a guy that has done all you have asked, has shown that he is a talented passer, and has even won football games for you. You give him the first shot and ride him until the wheels fall off.
Well said. People should also remember that players like Cann came back because of Thompson. Cann was quoted as saying that he is coming back to block for his buddy. That's Thompson. According to their instagram accounts, they are best friends. Cann could have gone pro; he's already graduated. Would it be fair to give him, Shell, and Robinson an inexperienced QB going through growing pains their final year? Cann obviously believes in Thompson, and he knows him better than any of us do. Lattimore has said the same sort of thing several times, expressing his confidence in Thompson.

If Thompson loses to ECU, UGA, or Vandy, the picture might change, but I don't think he'll lose those games. I think the only game we might lose is Auburn, because it's on the road, and they're really good. Thompson has already won at Clemson. He knows what it's like.

I'm really more interested in the battle for backup QB. That's going to be a slugfest.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #68
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

no wonder half of you are always angry...bet you thought you marry a hard body 38-20-24 pin-up girl too huh.
So true.
Does Connor Mitch come with a lot of buzz? Yes.
Are his stats in high school mind blowing? Yes.
Does he look good on film? Yes.
Does he have a lot of promise? Yes.
Has he been tearing it up as scout team QB? According to reports yes.

With that said...he hasn't proven anything, and he won't prove anything in spring ball.

NExt year is the Dylan Thompson show. Period.
Mitch and Nosovitch will be battling for the No. 2 spot, and to get a leg up for the starting job for 2015.

Cover Two has already said it best..spurrier ain't starting a RS Fresh or a RS soph with vitrually no game experience in the opening game against and SEC foe.

Now, if we lose to TAMU, ECU and UGA to start the season, he may make a change.

If all goes to plan..does everyone want to know when you will probably see Mitch? Try Oct. 18 against Furman and again Nov. 22 against South Alabama.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #69
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

QB - Thompson
WR - Byrd, Jones
TE - Anderson, Adams

I agree.
2015 will be a rebuild year for us...and will probably be an 8 win season.
Which is why I say if we are going to win the SEC, next year has to be the year...if not, we may have to wait until 2016 or 2017 to make one last run with Spurrier.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #70
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocked&ready2rock View Post
You and others continuously say this about youth. It seems that it has worked out fine for other teams and QB in the past. Winston, johnny football, tebow, those are just a few who played at a high level early. You act as tho it is unprecedented or something. Spurrier had no problem moving Shane Mathews right to the starting job early on.

Now i personally like DT he is my sons favorite player and I hope he runs away with the job. I just don't get how some of you like to act as tho it just can't be done here. When it has be proven it can be done and work out quite well. Not to mention for multiple years.
I agree, anyone who says that it is impossible, well they are kinda looking at it from a different perspective. He starts who is the best. He doesn't have favorites, unless your name is Connor Shaw lol
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #71
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
I agree, anyone who says that it is impossible, well they are kinda looking at it from a different perspective. He starts who is the best. He doesn't have favorites, unless your name is Connor Shaw lol
not impossible, just highly unlikely for the reasons that have been pointed out in this thread. if you disagree with those points- then refute them with logic and reason.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #72
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Which is why I say if we are going to win the SEC, next year has to be the year..
People have been saying that for the past 3-4 years.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #73
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Steve Spurrier has been loyal to his upperclassmen. He typically gives them a good leash and he rides them until the wheels fall off (ie. poor play).

Again, if Thompson and the offense struggle after the first 3 games, I could see where he would start looking at other options. Other than that, he'll ride Dylan as far as Dylan and the offense can go.

And comparing Connor Mitch/Brendan Nosovitch to 3 Heisman winners is ridiculous.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #74
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Steve Spurrier has been loyal to his upperclassmen. He typically gives them a good leash and he rides them until the wheels fall off (ie. poor play).

Again, if Thompson and the offense struggle after the first 3 games, I could see where he would start looking at other options. Other than that, he'll ride Dylan as far as Dylan and the offense can go.

And comparing Connor Mitch/Brendan Nosovitch to 3 Heisman winners is ridiculous.
Well I didn't compare them, and for god sakes I hope we don't struggle the first 3 games, I also believe Thompson is our guy. I made this thread to point out, don't forget about this guy. Because I believe he has the potential to really ball for us in the future. If you look at his stats from High School they are simply amazing. Now if that translates to college is yet to be seen, guess we just have to wait for Spring Ball to see how he really has developed. Damn offseason
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #75
ATL2001
Walk On

Male

ATL2001 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
True ....the flip side is that our other half of the fan base wants it to be Dylan simply because hes a good guy and stays out of trouble and he beat Clemson one year - their dihard opinion has zero to do with his skills or the teams best interest. Heck there were fans calling into 1075 2 months ago that were glad Connor went down vs UT simply because "now we will really see Spurriers offernse." Ignorant fans like this make me sick. Like Spurrier wasn't playing the best QB on our team intentionally. (makes perfect sense.)

Dont get me wrong, I like the kid and I hope he plays lights out when he gets his chance, but the segment of the fan base that simply wants the job to go to Dylan simply because hes Dylan are just as delusional as the fans who think Connor Mitch can be drafted this year. I think that Dylan has a lot of weaknesses in his game and those were apparent when he got into a chucking contest @ Mizzou. He just didnt run the O like we need a QB to run it. I dont know if Noso or Mitch can do any better but I am glad they are options. We all should be. Again - not calling him out, but its a glaring concern.

Just my opinion and I'm not targeting you by any means but I think Spurrier plays the QB that plays the best between now and Sept. I would guess the smart money is on DT getting his shot, but I think everyone can agree on that if Nosovich or Mitch are better, then they will play.

Spurrier's loyalty is to his team, not one individual player.
ATL2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #76
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I predict Nosovitch will be our starter.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #77
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Well said. People should also remember that players like Cann came back because of Thompson. Cann was quoted as saying that he is coming back to block for his buddy. That's Thompson. According to their instagram accounts, they are best friends. Cann could have gone pro; he's already graduated. Would it be fair to give him, Shell, and Robinson an inexperienced QB going through growing pains their final year?
if (and thats a big if) they are better qbs, then it would also be unfair to have those other 10 players play with the second best qb on the team simply because he is the oldest.

there are many reasons to like any of these qbs over the other 2, but there is no reason to believe that spurrier won't play the top performer. aka who ever wins the job in fall practice.

the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and for nearly 30 years spurrier has been going with the qb with the hottest hand. it would be foolish to think 2014 is the season he changes.

sporkgod50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #78
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
comparing Connor Mitch/Brendan Nosovitch to 3 Heisman winners is ridiculous.

pointing out examples of inexperienced players winning big at the qb position seems not only valid when discussing other inexperienced players, but a wise consideration.

Last edited by sporkgod50; 01-08-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #79
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
if (and thats a big if) they are better qbs, then it would also be unfair to have those other 10 players play with the second best qb on the team simply because he is the oldest.
That's true, and I'm not really advocating that. I'm saying that Cann and Lattimore had (have) confidence in Thompson for a reason, and they are better judges of what constitutes a good QB and leader than I am. However, if Mitch turns out to be Johnny Manziel, by all means he should have the start. He shouldn't have it just because he's the shiny new toy. If abilities and talent are equal, the start would go to the senior who has more experience.

I don't agree that Spurrier has always gone with the hot hand. He no longer follows the same patterns he had in Florida. He seems to have become more cautious to me, and he's definitely (to my way of thinking) showing loyalty more than he did before.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #80
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

It wasn't that long ago that he was switching qbs literally every play. Even less time since started an untested shaw over a veteran. Spurrier loves to win and will do what it takes to win. Including playing the most capable qb at his disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
That's true, and I'm not really advocating that. I'm saying that Cann and Lattimore had (have) confidence in Thompson for a reason, and they are better judges of what constitutes a good QB and leader than I am. However, if Mitch turns out to be Johnny Manziel, by all means he should have the start. He shouldn't have it just because he's the shiny new toy. If abilities and talent are equal, the start would go to the senior who has more experience.

I don't agree that Spurrier has always gone with the hot hand. He no longer follows the same patterns he had in Florida. He seems to have become more cautious to me, and he's definitely (to my way of thinking) showing loyalty more than he did before.