CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
b381l
StormOfTalons
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
The Yancey
Do we have any shot (2475)
Carolina opens -15.5 (1801)
What changes can and (1377)
(50 minute Replay) U (1316)
Shaw: Check Out This (1247)
Don't tell me we don (1191)
Gamecocks claimed an (1090)
Gamecock football Lo (973)
Tanner McEvoy should (904)
SOS Teleconference (859)
SOS Teleconference
who thinks we need a whol
Gamecock football Long Te
Connor Shaw Browns
Mike Davis "doubtful
Pirate Depth Chart
Carolina opens -15.5
MLS almost ready for play
Japanese High School Base
My Observations About USC

Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #21
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material
Default Re: No More Excuses...

We were not mentioned when it came to college football before SOS came to Carolina ! Maybe every 10 years or so we'd have a team bring some national attention. SOS realized what SC needed to become a serious contender in college football. The new additions to facilities and upgrades along with SOS bringing a champions point of view has helped change what it means to be a Gamecock in modern times ! As someone posted recently his 5 year old son has never seen SC lose to clemson. We're on a roll, just keep it going and keep improving, as we also build men of character.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

CockyCash: 500
SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Rome wasn't built in a day. We have improved as a program (if not always on the stat sheet) every year that the HBC has been at the helm at Carolina. It takes years to become a program that can simply reload with recruits every three or four years to make consistent runs at SEC Division and Championship Titles. Our time is coming ...
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #23
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I guarantee you spurrier will not leave until we get at least a SEC title.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
We were not mentioned when it came to college football before SOS came to Carolina !
Not true. The Clemson brawl circa 2000 put us on the map... just for the wrong reasons.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I guarantee you spurrier will not leave until we get at least a SEC title.
think about that statement real hard and then back away. there are 14 teams vying for that title. hasn't just getting there proven to be elusive? we just finished number 4 and didn't even get there.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

This just absolutely baffles me. We are going through a period of Gamecock Football like no other. Breaking team and player records every time you turn around, beating Clemson 5 YEARS IN A ROW, #4 ranking, but all people want to do is bitch about not winning the SEC or not having a #1 recruiting class. Spurrier has taken this program to an elite level and people are ready to show him the door if he doesn't win the SEC in the next two years. We have gone from a doormat in the SEC to one of the top teams in the conference.

As long as Spurrier is winning and within reach of the SEC title he will be coaching whether that takes 2 years or 5 years or who knows he may be here 10 more years as long as he's having fun and competing. This team totally over achieved this year especially on defense but hey, instead of appreciating that lets bitch about not playing in a BCS game.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #27
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAG View Post
I agree that we probably wouldn't have beaten Auburn, but we have to start giving ourselves a chance. If you think about it, we probably should have just played in our 4th straight SEC champpionship game. I would like to think we would have won one of those.
Probably not. More likely we'd be known as the Buffalo Bills of the SEC.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

All SEC teams lost two games or more. Expecting to go undefeated or only one loss is rarified air or unrealistic. It can happen, but lots of luck goes into it...few injuries for you, injuries to other teams, lucky bounces of the ball and so much more.

As far as SOS goes...he'll leave on his own terms and timetable. To do anything else leaves a very bad taste for the fan base and would be a looming black cloud for the next coach. Not only that, you'd have to fire Tanner as AD to even imagine it. Ray will not fire the man for a less than great season.

SOS has us competitive with anyone on our schedule. He wants to win more than anyone of us here. Even he, however, cannot determine the outcome of every game for there are too many circumstances out of his control which can determine a win or loss.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurProsecutor View Post
Rome wasn't built in a day. We have improved as a program (if not always on the stat sheet) every year that the HBC has been at the helm at Carolina. It takes years to become a program that can simply reload with recruits every three or four years to make consistent runs at SEC Division and Championship Titles. Our time is coming ...
It HAS been years. That is the point of the thread.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
All SEC teams lost two games or more. Expecting to go undefeated or only one loss is rarified air or unrealistic. It can happen, but lots of luck goes into it...few injuries for you, injuries to other teams, lucky bounces of the ball and so much more.

As far as SOS goes...he'll leave on his own terms and timetable. To do anything else leaves a very bad taste for the fan base and would be a looming black cloud for the next coach. Not only that, you'd have to fire Tanner as AD to even imagine it. Ray will not fire the man for a less than great season.

SOS has us competitive with anyone on our schedule. He wants to win more than anyone of us here. Even he, however, cannot determine the outcome of every game for there are too many circumstances out of his control which can determine a win or loss.
For it to happen ONCE? No, that is not unrealistic. We are trying to be the best team out of twelve teams one dang time. And really we just have to be best out of the 7 teams in our division and win one more game. And it was only 6 teams until 2 years ago. It's not as monumental as you are making it out to be.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #31
EMAG
Walk On

Male

EMAG has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm sorry, but with three consecutive 11 win seasons, I find all this talk
comical. Were you old enough to realize what this team was like in the
mid 2000s ? (not that long ago) Or old enough to have gone through the 0-21
stretch of games ? (again, not really that long ago if you're older than
15 years old). Do you remember the first four years since Spurrier took
over here ? .... We weren't a really good program, and we had some of
the worst facilities in the SEC. .... I remember all of that and even beyond
those years when Gamecock football wasn't even THAT good.

ALSO,
Do you realize how difficult it is for ANY team, even the LSUs, ALABAMAs,
GEORGIAs, OREGONs etc..... to go three consecutive seasons with
11 wins ???? I'm sorry, but for anyone here who posted that they agree
that this program has to win MORE in the next few seasons or our coach
needs to step down is an embarassment to this fanbase !! Four consecutive
seasons of Top 25 rankings with improvements each season, and you
think you're entitled to more, or our Coach needs to go ?!?!?!?!
Success is not measured by Championship trophies when you have never
had anything CLOSE To this kind of success in the entire history of your
program. .. I'm going to break the bad news to you all now... We will
drop in the rankings and season records at some point soon... maybe
even next season, but that will by no means, mean that this program
and our coach has peaked, and needs to start considering leaving.
Our AD, our Admin and our Coaches are building a winning program here
and doing one hell of an outstanding job of it, but almost demanding
better than what we've done the past 3-4 years or Coach Spurrier should
leave ?!?!? I swear there are times when I am embarassed to be called
a Gamecock fan when I see posts like this. .... Seriously.

My questions is...... with the bolded statements above:
Just how to YOU plan to make that happen, and how are you sure coach
Spurrier will step down if this doesn't happen according to YOUR timeline ?
I'd really like to know that.
Yes. I was old enough to remember the 0-21 happening. I also vividly remember the 5-7s, 6-5s, 7-6s. I understand how far we have come. We are a perennial top 10 program which absolutely blows my mind considering 5-6 years ago we would be doing backflips to just get in the top 25 midseason.

I think you may have missed my first post. Especially the part where I said you simply can't complain about the last 3 years even with the tough losses. We have accomplished firsts in each season. But the fact is, is that there aren't many other firsts to accomplish besides the obvious. I fully understand we can't keep up this streak.

But also like I said, the past 3 years have had outstanding first time accomplishments overshadow terrible losses. We are starting to run out of first time accomplishments to ease the sting of these losses.

My opinion is that we are THERE now. Of course we can't win every game we play, but these awful losses that cost us chances to win the conference HAVE to stop. If it continues to happen every single year and it keeps costing us, it is my OPINION that Spurrier will step down, not that he should.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #32
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

All I can say is WOW... Just WOW... We have some fans who have forgotten where we came from. The early 70,s in the ACC. We beat Wake something like 42-7. They won the ACC that year. Then came 84 we folded to Navy. Then came 1-21.

Just be happy where we are. We all want better. BUT it could be worse... A lot worse... Heck we could be Climpsen
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #33
EMAG
Walk On

Male

I can deal with losing to better teams and such. It happens.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #34
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

To me, the people that are content with being 11-2 3 years in a row and having nothing to show for it (championships) are why nobody respects us (fan bases). A lot of Carolina fans seem to just be happy that some other SEC team wins it every year. I'm honestly sick of missing out by 1 or 2 games a year.

We are ALL happy that we have gone 11-2 3 straight years. But what a lot of us are saying is, we aren't ok with being a very good team, having nothing to show for it and having to rely on the better teams in the conference to win to have our argument as to why we are better than most. I wanna have a case that we are better than other teams because we won a championship this year and they didn't.

Think about this. When analysts are talking about SEC teams. Who do they usually mention first? Alabama, LSU, Florida. Why? Because they are constantly in the championship conversation. The fans like myself that are calling for the next step only want to add that to our accomplishments that include this amazing streak we are on AND the last 5 straight wins against that horrible orange and purple team (see what I did there).

When we talk about our baseball program we all talk about the national titles recently right? How we expect to get back to Omaha and challenge to win it again. That's the perfect example to where all of us want to see this program go. Build, sustain, then win championships. Spurrier and his staff have accomplished the first one and arguable now the 2nd although 2014 will really test that. That last step is what we all want.

Teams like Auburn's in 2010 and this year will come and go. Teams like Alabama and FSU will stick around for a while because they build from within. Spurrier and his staff have accomplished that.

Sorry that was so long. Had a lot to address.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #35
EMAG
Walk On

Male

^^^^^

What he said.

I am in no way bad talking the last 3 years. This thread is about going forward. I would like to think we are there as a program. Time to acquire some hardware to show for it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
All I can say is WOW... Just WOW... We have some fans who have forgotten where we came from. The early 70,s in the ACC. We beat Wake something like 42-7. They won the ACC that year. Then came 84 we folded to Navy. Then came 1-21.

Just be happy where we are. We all want better. BUT it could be worse... A lot worse... Heck we could be Climpsen
I'm confused by that statement.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #37
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I've been around long enough to remember the lean years, when we were not respected by anyone, when we were usually not bowl eligible, and when the only real measure of success was beating Clempson. Think about how lame that seems now.

We all want championships but if we don't attain them, I am still bursting with pride to see my Gamecocks in the upper echelons of the sport. Top 5 still makes my spine tingle.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #38
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

0-11
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #39
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

We all want championships. We are happy with the last three seasons because we have never seen the likes of it in our history.

It is always laughable each year when you hear some fans saying, "Our coaches better win next year."

Sounds like an "or else" situation. Or else, what? You want SOS fired? That would divide the USC fans much worse than what happened to McGuire, destroy all the positive media attention that took so long to gain, and it could well scare off several good potential coaches to take the job. It would be the dumbest move in USC history, for with SOS leaving on bad terms, we would lose much of his future help or contacts he would be able to lend. It would be a slap in the face of epic proportions and Clempson would be doing cartwheels and laughing at us like never before. It could take us many years to recover from such a move. I don't know about you, but I got a lot fewer future seasons in front of me than what is in my past.

The coaches are doing all they can to take that last step. What else do you want? Cheating to get better recruits? What specifics moves do they need to make? Well, we could do what so many other schools do and lie to recruits in any number of ways to trick them into coming here. If you can't win doing it the honest, fair way, it ain't worth winning. Even being underhanded does not promise those extra few wins, anyway.

Either we win or we don't, but I have seen more than enough coaching changes with little positive to show for them. This time we go with what we got until the end, whatever it is and then go from there. One thing is for sure, this will be the first time in our history that a coach at USC leaves the next one a better situation than when he arrived.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #40
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAG View Post
Yes. I was old enough to remember the 0-21 happening. I also vividly remember the 5-7s, 6-5s, 7-6s. I understand how far we have come. We are a perennial top 10 program which absolutely blows my mind considering 5-6 years ago we would be doing backflips to just get in the top 25 midseason.

I think you may have missed my first post. Especially the part where I said you simply can't complain about the last 3 years even with the tough losses. We have accomplished firsts in each season. But the fact is, is that there aren't many other firsts to accomplish besides the obvious. I fully understand we can't keep up this streak.

But also like I said, the past 3 years have had outstanding first time accomplishments overshadow terrible losses. We are starting to run out of first time accomplishments to ease the sting of these losses.

My opinion is that we are THERE now. Of course we can't win every game we play, but these awful losses that cost us chances to win the conference HAVE to stop. If it continues to happen every single year and it keeps costing us, it is my OPINION that Spurrier will step down, not that he should.
I don't think you understand Spurrier. He quit the University of Florida job after the Gators went 11-2, won the Orange Bowl, finished 3rd in the country, ... and the season was considered a disappointment by Gator fans. And when I say quit, I mean quit. He didn't leave for another job; he just left coaching all together and took a year off. (Urban Meyer also quit Florida). So it's my opinion that Spurrier will step down when Gamecock fans feel 11 win seasons are ho-hum. Ultimately, I think Spurrier will be devoured by the beast he created. He's turning Gamecock fans into entitled Gator fans.