CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
thumpin big
talon
smoovecock
markymark550
b381l
CockyGuy
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1445)
Chattanooga upends N (951)
NEW Pics from South (647)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (345)
This Doctor Fell In (298)
Happy Thanksgiving C (227)
Strategy First Steam (137)
Penniless: Creed's S (105)
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Texans getting frustrated
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Palmetto Bowl
Bowl projections
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Name a Gamecock
Alshon - Bose

Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #41
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material
Default Re: what would you wanna see change in 2014

Special Teams play is a given. If we can't kick off into the endzone, at least get some hang time on those kicks to the 10-20 yard line. Our punt game improved from abysmal to decent as the season progressed, but we need to shore up that part of our game as well.

Better downfield vision from the QB position. Connor is the winningest QB of all time here, and my appreciation for him runs deep, but in all honesty, he missed numerous pass opportunities to wide open WR's, and the TE's as well that made me jump out of my seat pointing like a damn bird dog. Sure, he made up for a lot of those missed opportunities with his legs, but one would have to think Coach Spurrier threw his visor around more than once this season during postgame film study. CS missing the open receiver(s) wasn't as bad as the past couple of seasons, and nowhere near as bad as Garcia, but is still an issue that he needs to improve upon if he expects to play QB on Sundays. He did hit some really great passes down field this season, but I believe most of those were the result of him hitting the number one target on designed plays, not so much him 'seeing' or 'finding' the wide open #2 or #3 target before taking off running. We have the talent at WR and TE, we just need to display a little better vision from the QB to fully utilize their talent. Again, not bashing CS, just an observation, so you guys don't jump me for this.

A little nastiness displayed by our OL would be more than appreciated. We play like a bunch of nice guys out there. I have a lot of appreciation for the way Wisconsin's OL played the game with a chip on their shoulders.

I'd like to see a better job from our RB's getting themselves open for the underneath dump-off pass. Too many times Davis would make his chip block, get through the line, and position himself right next to the spy LB. You can't expect the QB to dump the ball to you when you're standing right next to the defender, and when he did get the ball, the gain was negligible. Again, this didn't happen ALL the time, but way too many times to be deemed acceptable by our RB coach.

Last edited by Cockholio; 01-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Cockholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #42
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Uniforms

L O L
Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #43
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 32021
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
Uniforms

L O L
This deserves its own thread
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

The BIGGESTchange I want to see is in our attitude as a fan base. Throughout the season I have read way too much negativity on these message boards and it seems to me like people are forgetting how far we've come as a program.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #45
jwhite0705
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
jwhite0705 has hatched from the shell

Well it's hard to find many things wrong considering the year we had but there's a couple of things I'd like to see.

I'd like to see us run north and south. Mike Davis is a really good back but he's too shifty sometimes and that goes straight to the coaching staff IMO. He's faster than Lattimore was and strong too. He could be the best back in the nation but I think he's too shifty and side to side sometimes.

I'd like for us to have the killer instinct more. The 4-5 games where opponents clawed back into the game were not just things they were doing. At least I don't think it was.
jwhite0705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #46
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I think this statement just ignores the reality of high-level football. It ignores defensive schemes, the quality of competition, and seems to assume the players lack motivation. Defensive linemen, and especially linebackers don't stand around or rush straight ahead waiting to get pushed "to the end zone."
If we wanted to trade OL with Wisconsin, it would entail a 2 tight end scheme as our base offense and losing 3 of the 7 to graduation this year. We didn't sell out and pack the box against them. They got about their average in run yardage, but were not able to suck us up into vulnerability to big pass plays as they had anticipated. They were good, but I wouldn't trade - now or for the future.
Since this post was what you would like to see change in 2014, I just gave an opinion and not an indepth analysis of what the defensive or offensive schemes should be. I have an opinion about what I would like to see as the OP originally ask for. Yes, I did state that Wisconsin O-Line played the run game a heck of a lot better than our O-Line did. How many times, regardless of who we play have we seen our huge offensive line not get the push to get us a yard for a first down. The post was not about doing a critical breakdown of the Wisconsin- South Carolina Bowl Game. It was about what you would like to see get changed. I did not ignore the OP original intent. I think that you got a little side ways with your comment. Read what the OP ask before you IGNORE his post and make a comment about mine.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #47
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Stop throwing screen passes so often on 3rd downs. We have a habit of doing that, its getting fairly predictable. Those coaches on the sidelines are 50X smarter about football than me, so when even I can call the screen before the snap, theres a problem, because I know the opposing team can too.
GSC2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #48
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Stop throwing screen passes so often on 3rd downs. We have a habit of doing that, its getting fairly predictable. Those coaches on the sidelines are 50X smarter about football than me, so when even I can call the screen before the snap, theres a problem, because I know the opposing team can too.
Slight amendment... stop throwing screen passes without any damn blocking in front of the receiver.

Also, hold the line or maybe even ease up a bit on GCC dues and ticket prices. Not likely of course but it's what I would like to change.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #49
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Better concessions.