CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ReadR00ster
Gamecocks1137
PageUSC
A. Pilgrim
uscsandstorm85
kingofnerf
taylorssc
Spurticus
MrED
How do you want Aubu (2259)
If the Head Ball Coa (1545)
Does South Carolina (1141)
To ANYONE complainin (1128)
Tennessee Game Time (558)
Rest of the season p (557)
Incoming Class (519)
Lorenzo Nunez (484)
Tennessee kickoff an (442)
Peyton Manning break (343)
NFL: TEXANS @ STEELERS Mo
2016 - Issac Nauta
Incoming Class
To ANYONE complaining abo
Lorenzo Nunez
Does South Carolina still
How do you want Auburn to
we can STILL win the east
CBS: SOS to Florida?
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #221
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 Commitment - Michael Scarnecchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCOCK View Post
Obviously, they're highlights which can be deceptive, but I liked his ball handling, ie play action, pump faking. He also looks very comfortable w/rolling out, sprinting out, and moving away from pressure. Looks like a really good fit if we're sticking w/zone read, mobile qbs.

Respectfully submitted,
HTCock
Maybe, but he threw 28 touchdown passes and only 2 interceptions as a senior. How many "lowlights" can there be? :)
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #222
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

One of the reasons he was "overlooked" is that his team did not throw that often.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #223
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Senior film.

About 90% of those passes, he had receivers wide open. Maybe we need to take a look at a few of their receivers. He was very smooth and never appeared rushed.....nice pocket movement.....threw well on the run.....nice arm, very accurate.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #224
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Did y'all notice the roll right and throw back across the field ala Shaw/Ellington vs UGA & Wisconsin and Garcia/Jeffrey vs Clemson and Shaw/Jeffrey vs Clemson
Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #225
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
Did y'all notice the roll right and throw back across the field ala Shaw/Ellington vs UGA & Wisconsin and Garcia/Jeffrey vs Clemson and Shaw/Jeffrey vs Clemson
MS threw that pass twice for TD's in these highlights.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #226
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Two observations:

I see that this guy is accurate, but i'd like to see more video of him throwing into tight coverage. There won't be guys that wide open every play in the SEC... Not saying I doubt him, I would just like to see how he does.

This guy has a REALLY good play action fake
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #227
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamecock View Post
From watching his video, I am fine with his arm.

To me one of the reasons he may be a 3* is the fact that in all of the clips he only made one read. He looks at one receiver and if it is there he throws it. There was no attempt to look a defender off or anything like that.

I'm not saying that this means he is not a good pickup. That is something that can be taught. It just kind of shows that he is not as developed as a passer as what you would expect out of a 4* recruit or higher.

We will just have to wait and see what Spurrier and GA can do with him after they have had time to train him.
You are correct.
I think that may have to do with the system is was in...seems like they are a team that ran the ball a lot of waited to use the deep ball off a of playaction.

Again, you aren't wrong. I think GA and Spurrier see his mechanics and think they can build off of those..because his mechanics are good for a HS QB (better than a lot I've seen)
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #228
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
Two observations:

I see that this guy is accurate, but i'd like to see more video of him throwing into tight coverage. There won't be guys that wide open every play in the SEC... Not saying I doubt him, I would just like to see how he does.

This guy has a REALLY good play action fake
I agree with you.
Then again, how many high schools have that tight of coverage?
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #229
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Look, he's a project. I don't think anyone's bringing him in to be starter from day one. In a perfect world we get another Dylan, a dedicated guy who is solid enough to develop into a starting QB.

Mangus and Spurrier can bring him along, he's got the physical tools.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #230
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Look, he's a project. I don't think anyone's bringing him in to be starter from day one. In a perfect world we get another Dylan, a dedicated guy who is solid enough to develop into a starting QB.

He is a perfect fit for this class and our future depth chart. He is talented enough to get some looks for other places, but isn't going to be a diva about playing time. He will get bigger and stronger per the weight training program and have several years in the system before being asked to contribute. Perfect setup in my mind.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #231
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

That is what I'm thinking..a guy that can be brought up in the system and will get a chance to play later in his career.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #232
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Exactly.
I've said it before, and it sounds like a broken record.
Recruiting ain't about stars...stars are just a way the media guys can have something to talk about before signing day, and a way to put a "final score" on the recruiting cycle so there can be a winner and a loser.

You have to find guys that fit your system. It would make no sense for us to go after say, a No. 1 DT prospect in Georgia that is 6'4, 350 pounds, and a natural noseguard in a 3-4 if we run a 4-3 base.

Same as if you are a power run team, it makes no sense to get a little scat back.
On this I disagree though, I would love for that guy to lose some weight and be a DT at USC. That's like Trent Thompson.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #233
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
One of the reasons he was "overlooked" is that his team did not throw that often.
If he was awesome, wouldn't they have wanted to throw more, or are you saying his high school coach doesn't like winning?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #234
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
On this I disagree though, I would love for that guy to lose some weight and be a DT at USC. That's like Trent Thompson.
This. At a certain point, talent trumps scheme (this would apply to Christian Miller if you agree with his ratings). Most offenses and defenses these days are multiple enough that coaches should be able to incorporate nearly any player of a requisite talent level without too much difficulty. The goal should be to get the best talent and then figure out the best way to use it.

ProFootballFocus.com
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #235
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

This is a local kid for me. I only saw him play once, but one of his coaches is a friend of mine and we talked about him at length. Here are the pros and cons

Pro's
Very bright
great work ethic
great leader
strong arm
has command and respect of his team

Cons
Did not perform as well when rushed
Has to keep his head downfield more
Somewhat erratic on timing passes
Mechanics will break down under pressure

He hit on a lot of play action passes much like Auburn did. They run, run, run, then go up top.

He is the perfect kid to come to a program like SC. He will be a great locker room guy. He will work hard and he will get better. He has all the tools, he needs to be developed. The things he does not do well now are very fixable. He looks at SC as a great opportunity, and will make other players better rather he plays or not.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #236
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
This is a local kid for me. I only saw him play once, but one of his coaches is a friend of mine and we talked about him at length. Here are the pros and cons

Pro's
Very bright
great work ethic
great leader
strong arm
has command and respect of his team

Cons
Did not perform as well when rushed
Has to keep his head downfield more
Somewhat erratic on timing passes
Mechanics will break down under pressure

He hit on a lot of play action passes much like Auburn did. They run, run, run, then go up top.

He is the perfect kid to come to a program like SC. He will be a great locker room guy. He will work hard and he will get better. He has all the tools, he needs to be developed. The things he does not do well now are very fixable. He looks at SC as a great opportunity, and will make other players better rather he plays or not.
Good news is, every single one of those cons can and will be corrected. Kid's got potential. real potential.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #237
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
If he was awesome, wouldn't they have wanted to throw more, or are you saying his high school coach doesn't like winning?
Ask the coach, not me.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #238
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Good news is, every single one of those cons can and will be corrected. Kid's got potential. real potential.
Exactly. Also all but one of those pro's (strong arm) could've been used in the recruitment of Connor Shaw. That seemed to turn out alright.

Looking forward to seeing what some first class QB coaching can turn him into. If his team didn't pass all that often then it seems to me there may not have been an emphasis on it as much. That's bound to change when he sets foot on campus!

Also seems like a good character & work ethic guy, which should fit in with the Connor Shaw, Dylan Thompson, etc line.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #239
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
They won plenty. They were undefeated in the regular season. We don't need him to come in and start so we can let the kid develop and see where we go. He looks as good as that 5 star Park kid lol.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #240
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I agree with you.
Then again, how many high schools have that tight of coverage?
Good point, and I am aware of this. Just for curiosity, I would like to see him throwing into tight coverage to see how he does