CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
roosterdude21
acejrock
NJCocky14
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (7988)
Super-Efficient Ax (318)
South Carolina @ Aub (279)
BREAD (242)
Starz Black Sails (166)
Dress shirt help (161)
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #61
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default No More Excuses...

We'll be facing an Ellis Johnson defense...We should be ok.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #62
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material
Default Re: No More Excuses...

I love that we have finally finished in the top 5 finally. This is where we should have finished two seasons ago, 2011. Should have been playing for a national title in 2012 and this past season. I hope we can take the next step and have a magical season.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #63
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

Smh @ 11 wins not being enough for some people. We've did what only a few schools have ever did before. Yes we've had some crucial losses that if we would have won, we'd probably be hoisting the BCS trophy up. Coach Spurrier and his coaching staff have done a damn good job. Unlike Bama and FSU, we don't get all the 5 star players, but yet South Carolina has transcended from a Mediocre program into an Elite program. Be happy at what we got now.. Live for the now..
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #64
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAG View Post
I am over 20 FWIW. But the Tennessee game wasnt lost on one mistake. We played like crap from the start.
If we don't jump, Zandi gets the easy TD pass and we win.....if North doesn't make the catch, we win. We were winning 21-17 going into the fourth quarter.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #65
Cocky Boy 63
Walk On

Male

Cocky Boy 63 has hatched from the shell

11 win seasons are great,but SEC and National Championships are better.
No need to fire anyone or fight amongest ourselves about it.
We got a good thing going here,but lets go further.
Lets recruit better,play harder and coach smarter,and lets keep beating the shit out of Clemson while we are at it.
Cocky Boy 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #66
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

After 116 years of football at Carolina, 3 years of 11 and 2 trust me I will take 10 years of 11 and 2 and not complain. Here is why. Quarles said it best, they came here to START A CHAMPIONSHIP MENTALITY IN THE PLAYERS. This is just the Start, come back in 15 years with thread.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #67
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

LOL. Give me a break.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #68
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm sorry, but with three consecutive 11 win seasons, I find all this talk
comical. Were you old enough to realize what this team was like in the
mid 2000s ? (not that long ago) Or old enough to have gone through the 0-21
stretch of games ? (again, not really that long ago if you're older than
15 years old). Do you remember the first four years since Spurrier took
over here ? .... We weren't a really good program, and we had some of
the worst facilities in the SEC. .... I remember all of that and even beyond
those years when Gamecock football wasn't even THAT good.

ALSO,
Do you realize how difficult it is for ANY team, even the LSUs, ALABAMAs,
GEORGIAs, OREGONs etc..... to go three consecutive seasons with
11 wins ???? I'm sorry, but for anyone here who posted that they agree
that this program has to win MORE in the next few seasons or our coach
needs to step down is an embarassment to this fanbase !! Four consecutive
seasons of Top 25 rankings with improvements each season, and you
think you're entitled to more, or our Coach needs to go ?!?!?!?!
Success is not measured by Championship trophies when you have never
had anything CLOSE To this kind of success in the entire history of your
program. .. I'm going to break the bad news to you all now... We will
drop in the rankings and season records at some point soon... maybe
even next season, but that will by no means, mean that this program
and our coach has peaked, and needs to start considering leaving.
Our AD, our Admin and our Coaches are building a winning program here
and doing one hell of an outstanding job of it, but almost demanding
better than what we've done the past 3-4 years or Coach Spurrier should
leave ?!?!? I swear there are times when I am embarassed to be called
a Gamecock fan when I see posts like this. .... Seriously.

My questions is...... with the bolded statements above:
Just how to YOU plan to make that happen, and how are you sure coach
Spurrier will step down if this doesn't happen according to YOUR timeline ?
I'd really like to know that.
So because we've had a mediocre past we should now have mediocre goals? I agree that we are having unprecedented success, but there is something to be said about trophies in the case. And you're right, for anyone, including the Bamas, LSU's, etc its hard to win the conference. However, I think it is VERY reasonable to say that we need to start at least winning our division and getting to Atlanta. That is what the next step is. I don't mean to suggest that I'm not very happy about what we've done and I truly think we are on the cusp, but at the same time I don't like hearing that we should temper our expections/goals because of our past. That type of complacency is what will keep us from the trophies, which 25 years from now really matters.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #69
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by appcenter52 View Post
So because we've had a mediocre past we should now have mediocre goals? I agree that we are having unprecedented success, but there is something to be said about trophies in the case. And you're right, for anyone, including the Bamas, LSU's, etc its hard to win the conference. However, I think it is VERY reasonable to say that we need to start at least winning our division and getting to Atlanta. That is what the next step is. I don't mean to suggest that I'm not very happy about what we've done and I truly think we are on the cusp, but at the same time I don't like hearing that we should temper our expections/goals because of our past. That type of complacency is what will keep us from the trophies, which 25 years from now really matters.
You should temper your expectations. Fans feelings have no impact on how the team plays. You are engaged in a fool's mission if you think you can post something on a message board and influence how the team plays.

OTH, it is possible to create strife and dissension that effects the morale of a team. Perhaps this is your motive. If you were a Clemson fan on here pretending to be a fake Gamecock fan this is the kind of drivel you would post.

Finally, we were lucky to win a lot of our games. The UT game just went the other way for us . On balance, the Gamecocks had a very fortunate season. Hopefully, good fortune will continue.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #70
EMAG
Walk On

Male

EMAG has hatched from the shell

Lol @ this thread causing team morale to go down. Id be willing to bet 100% of the team is NOT satisfied with what we just did the past 3 years. This is the good part. None of our opinions matter!

We got guys who want to win it all and are striving to do so. On the army all american skills challenge they asked BAW if he had a message for coach Spurrier and the fans and his exact word, "we coming to win the natty next year." Fortunately for us our team is a whole lot more demanding of themselves than any of us "delusional" fans on here are.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #71
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Can our excuse be that the 2014 schedule is the hardest we have had in a while?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #72
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPitCocky chick rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
After 116 years of football at Carolina, 3 years of 11 and 2 trust me I will take 10 years of 11 and 2 and not complain. Here is why. Quarles said it best, they came here to START A CHAMPIONSHIP MENTALITY IN THE PLAYERS. This is just the Start, come back in 15 years with thread.
Wow! So you've seen 116 years of Carolina football? Congrats on still being able to type - good for you :)
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #73
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAG View Post
Lol @ this thread causing team morale to go down. Id be willing to bet 100% of the team is NOT satisfied with what we just did the past 3 years. This is the good part. None of our opinions matter!

We got guys who want to win it all and are striving to do so. On the army all american skills challenge they asked BAW if he had a message for coach Spurrier and the fans and his exact word, "we coming to win the natty next year." Fortunately for us our team is a whole lot more demanding of themselves than any of us "delusional" fans on here are.
First off I doubt you will find any competitive team that is satisfied with anything less than an undefeated season and NC. I also doubt you will hear any recruit saying that he's not going to whatever school not to win a title. But I can guarantee you that will never hear any of them say that if we don't win something besides the state championship in the next 2 years Spurrier needs to step down. Fans wanting more is natural and players and coaches wanting more is essential but how does appreciating how far we have come make us fans delusional? Personally I'm glad the players and coaches don't have your attitude or we would be changing coaching staffs every 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #74
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

This team isn't loaded for a championship run next year. I just hope we don't drop off too bad.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #75
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

If our coaches and players aren't working hard to get better this offseason then something is wrong.

Our players need to be working out harder, eating better, studying the playbook and practicing on their own.

Coaches need to be recruiting harder!! Watching film more and seeing where we need to improve and make adjustments.

If all of those things aren't being done then our team is complacent and it starts at the top. Hopefully they are doing all of these things and more.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #76
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

We're a top 5 team, it's okay to to expect an SEC championship, not necessarily the next year, but soon. LOL at the guy that said 15 years. What a loser mentality. We have people who just can't shake that loser mentality. They think our records of years past actually means something. Well it doesn't mean crap except an excuse to not be better. It's not going to get done if our players keep "hoping" and don't start MAKING it happen.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #77
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Who said the fans have low expectations or goals? To appreciate what we have accomplished, at long last, is not settling.

This is absurd. You make it sound like SOS and the coaches and the players have not all strived to win the SEC, because that often means a shot at the national title. They have been trying since he got here, but the uphill climb he had to make to just get the players on board was so tough, he came within a whisper of giving up at least once. Each step has been hard as hell and each new step takes time. You don't cut corners to make things last and that is the other thing SOS has been doing here, trying to establish the program on solid ground, so that when he leaves it has every chance of remaining a top tier school.

Realism needs to settle in and that is, very simply, it never has been or ever will be easy to win the SEC. This is not the ACC where there is usually one good team and the rest barely above average or below.

To win the very top spot at a school with almost no positive football history is all the more difficult and SOS taking over a program that had floundered, once again, is a fact, too, not excuses. An excuse is like Clempson saying, "If we did not give all those turnovers to FSU and USC, we'd have played Auburn in the Rose Bowl for the title." Huge difference.

Again, what excuses? We all want the same thing. What do you propose if we do not win it all next year or the year after? Apparently you must know the answers to start a thread like this one. Tell SOS how to run his program? Choose which assistant coaches need to be run off and which replacements to hire? Tell Ray to start looking for a new coach? Oh, I know, the old favorite standby, "We'll stop going to the games and stop supporting the program to show them we're serious?" That is a joke of epic proportions and anyone who thinks that are not Carolina fans but clowns who should be laughed at and laughed down.

Any of those clever ideas to get to the next step would tear the fans apart and destroy all SOS has built. Maybe that is what you want.

Run along now. Your act is getting old.

Last edited by brat; 01-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #78
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

No more excuses...Special teams need to be fixed.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #79
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm sorry, but with three consecutive 11 win seasons, I find all this talk
comical. Were you old enough to realize what this team was like in the
mid 2000s ? (not that long ago) Or old enough to have gone through the 0-21
stretch of games ? (again, not really that long ago if you're older than
15 years old). Do you remember the first four years since Spurrier took
over here ? .... We weren't a really good program, and we had some of
the worst facilities in the SEC. .... I remember all of that and even beyond
those years when Gamecock football wasn't even THAT good.

ALSO,
Do you realize how difficult it is for ANY team, even the LSUs, ALABAMAs,
GEORGIAs, OREGONs etc..... to go three consecutive seasons with
11 wins ???? I'm sorry, but for anyone here who posted that they agree
that this program has to win MORE in the next few seasons or our coach
needs to step down is an embarassment to this fanbase !! Four consecutive
seasons of Top 25 rankings with improvements each season, and you
think you're entitled to more, or our Coach needs to go ?!?!?!?!
Success is not measured by Championship trophies when you have never
had anything CLOSE To this kind of success in the entire history of your
program. .. I'm going to break the bad news to you all now... We will
drop in the rankings and season records at some point soon... maybe
even next season, but that will by no means, mean that this program
and our coach has peaked, and needs to start considering leaving.
Our AD, our Admin and our Coaches are building a winning program here
and doing one hell of an outstanding job of it, but almost demanding
better than what we've done the past 3-4 years or Coach Spurrier should
leave ?!?!? I swear there are times when I am embarassed to be called
a Gamecock fan when I see posts like this. .... Seriously.

My questions is...... with the bolded statements above:
Just how to YOU plan to make that happen, and how are you sure coach
Spurrier will step down if this doesn't happen according to YOUR timeline ?
I'd really like to know that.
I agree with Spurticus. I have been a Cock Fan for 40+ years and haven't forgotten where we have come from! And just because most fans are extremely happy doesn't make them "content"! Sure we all want a championship, but winning a SEC or National Championship not only takes a great football program, but it also takes a ton of good luck! My opinion is if we have another 11-2 season next year I would give Steve Spurrier a lifetime contract!! GO COCKS!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #80
EMAG
Walk On

Male

EMAG has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
First off I doubt you will find any competitive team that is satisfied with anything less than an undefeated season and NC. I also doubt you will hear any recruit saying that he's not going to whatever school not to win a title. But I can guarantee you that will never hear any of them say that if we don't win something besides the state championship in the next 2 years Spurrier needs to step down. Fans wanting more is natural and players and coaches wanting more is essential but how does appreciating how far we have come make us fans delusional? Personally I'm glad the players and coaches don't have your attitude or we would be changing coaching staffs every 3 or 4 years.
First, nobody said he "needed" to step down.

Second, by delusional, I was referring to the fans like me, who would like more.