CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
gamecockgal
MWard
uscjeremynca
B-G
thekob
Spurticus
markp_vip
75CarolinaFan
sanford
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Sidney Rice Retiring (1847)
SOS Dominating SEC M (503)
Bonefish Grill (493)
What Are The Most Im (416)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (333)
Places to eat in Con (325)
Kansas to invest $75 (320)
When does fall pract (300)
Jaguars Justin Black (260)
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Spurrier vs Saban
Tenn vs WVU in Charlotte
Frank Caliendo + Morgan F
Places To Eat In Beufort
When does fall practice s
Green and Lammons
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Another A&M aggie off

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb
Default Re: Barbecue cooked with pecan wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Most good outdoor/sports stores now have nice grilling sections. I normally order online around Christmas because a lot of places will have sales or at least free shipping which is the biggest issue with ordering online. There are a lot of suppliers, just google your preference of chips or pellets.

Pimento is a little harder to find and is expensive. I mix it with Maple and it goes a lot farther and you get a good flavor from the pimento wood still. Yancey might have a good source with his Jamaican roots.
Thx
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
You can go to Academy and get large bags of wood. That's where I get mine.

I've never cooked with Apple. The same exact bag of Pecan wood is $10, but Apple is $20. Just because the term "apple wood smoked" is popular, doesn't mean it's any better than the next. If anything, apple should be cheaper. I'm sure there's a LOT more apple trees in the world that pecan.
Thx
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I use pecan wood all the time...Use the broken limbs and twigs that drop from storms and stuff each year....Great to cook anything one in my opinion...I also like peach wood as an extra....
Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

i smoke my salt and pepper with apple. may have to give pecan a try.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll View Post
Any place that sells The Big Green Egg or Traeger grills would probably have fruit wood chunks, chips, or pellets. I've seen a few Ace Hardware stores here in Charlotte that carry both.
Amazon is your friend.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I don't see the changing of wood altering anything. "They say" meat doesn't take smoker after 4 hours of smoking ... which is why a lot of people wrap around that time frame.
Yep, I am only applying smoke during the initial phase although you can get some superficial smoke flavor at the end. However each kind of wood does have its own flavor and mixing them can produce a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Some people prefer to just mix the woods from the beginning. In slid meats that will be sliced or eaten whole as opposed to being pulled I like layering the smoke.

#ModForMod
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #27
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Most good outdoor/sports stores now have nice grilling sections. I normally order online around Christmas because a lot of places will have sales or at least free shipping which is the biggest issue with ordering online. There are a lot of suppliers, just google your preference of chips or pellets.

Pimento is a little harder to find and is expensive. I mix it with Maple and it goes a lot farther and you get a good flavor from the pimento wood still. Yancey might have a good source with his Jamaican roots.
My old cook would smoke a whole hog 3 days per week for the tourists. Always over pimento. I have found a cheap alternative that gives me the same flavor: allspice. Allspice berries are the fruit of the pimento tree. You may have an old jar of the ground stuff in your spice cabinet. Adding some to a BBQ marinade/baste/sauce will give it a jamaican flavor. For the true Jamaican smoke though I buy whole pimento berries and soak them like wood chips. Like with all flavoring spice woods such as rosemary go light. It doesn't take nearly as many berries to get the flavor as it does wood from the tree itself.

Here are the berries. $12 and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Wh...words=allspice

Amazon Prime is a Netflix like streaming service. They have different offerings so I have both. The free 2 day shipping that comes with it saves me far more over the year than what I pay for it though. If you dont have it sign up through me and I make a few bucks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/prime...=dentplan08-20

#ModForMod
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #28
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Since we're discussing BBQ, one of my favorite topics.. I actually had some room left on my rack 2 weeks ago and didnt want to waste it. I had some ground beef in fridge and pattied up 3 hamburgers. INCREDIBLE. I left them on for about 2 hours. The patties didnt shrink down as much as when you put them on the grill. They also retained most the juice that you can lose over an open flame. So if you've not tried hamburgers on the smoker.. and have some extra room. Go for it.

Every time one of these threads starts I get hungry as hell.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Since we're discussing BBQ, one of my favorite topics.. I actually had some room left on my rack 2 weeks ago and didnt want to waste it. I had some ground beef in fridge and pattied up 3 hamburgers. INCREDIBLE. I left them on for about 2 hours. The patties didnt shrink down as much as when you put them on the grill. They also retained most the juice that you can lose over an open flame. So if you've not tried hamburgers on the smoker.. and have some extra room. Go for it.

Every time one of these threads starts I get hungry as hell.
My peeps will not let me do meatballs any other way than in my smoker now. I do a 4 stage cook: smoke/roast/pan fry/simmer in sauce.

#ModForMod
Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #30
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
My old cook would smoke a whole hog 3 days per week for the tourists. Always over pimento. I have found a cheap alternative that gives me the same flavor: allspice. Allspice berries are the fruit of the pimento tree. You may have an old jar of the ground stuff in your spice cabinet. Adding some to a BBQ marinade/baste/sauce will give it a jamaican flavor. For the true Jamaican smoke though I buy whole pimento berries and soak them like wood chips. Like with all flavoring spice woods such as rosemary go light. It doesn't take nearly as many berries to get the flavor as it does wood from the tree itself.

Here are the berries. $12 and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Wh...words=allspice

Amazon Prime is a Netflix like streaming service. They have different offerings so I have both. The free 2 day shipping that comes with it saves me far more over the year than what I pay for it though. If you dont have it sign up through me and I make a few bucks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/prime...=dentplan08-20
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. I keep whole allspice on hand, my wife loves the flavor in lots of dishes. Never thought of smoking with them.