CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
B-G
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
2015 Commitment - Quandes
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: DT Abu Lamin; Can he replace Quarrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
This board is full of Smart A$$es... It is beginning to feel like tigernet
easy cokeebidness3, people are just having some fun.

And there's nothing smart about t-net.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
BlackMagic84
Esquire

Male

CockyCash: 500
BlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his comb

Who cares if they guy misspelled his name???......geesh, everybody knows what the guy means.......no need to make things hard.

Agree with others who said this should not be in recruiting forum as Abu has already signed, ergo he is no longer a recruit. He is now a member of the 2014 team.

Picky around here today aren't we folks.....

Getting back to the topic....

Yes, Abu could replace Kelcy. He has great size and ability and the potential to come with it. I feel this is exactly why he was brought in. If the staff felt we truly had all we need at this position, why go waste a scholly on a JUCO guy???? It's self explanatory

Abu will have every opportunity to replace Kelcy, but will he? That is up to him.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #23
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Yes, Abu could replace Kelcy. He has great size and ability and the potential to come with it. I feel this is exactly why he was brought in. If the staff felt we truly had all we need at this position, why go waste a scholly on a JUCO guy???? It's self explanatory

Abu will have every opportunity to replace Kelcy, but will he? That is up to him

100% correct. Truth is nobody on the planet can answer that question until spring ball at the earliest, likely after that.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #24
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
The correct answer: I don't know, but I hope one of the DT's can.
exactly...at this point, nobody knows how things will play out. I do know that Dukes, Dixon, Surratt, Lamin and Griffin will all play a part.....I almost forgot to mention
Poona.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #25
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

dont forget..abu has 3 yrs to play 3. not your average juco.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

According to pro scouts, Kelsey took off some plays......"his motor runs hot and cold".
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #27
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35-21 View Post
Isn't Lamin signed and on campus? If so, I would say he is no longer a recruit and this doesn't need to be in the recruiting forum.
Thanks. That was kinda my point, he is signed, on campus, and now officially a Gamecock football player, not a recruit.

And to the other member who pointed out "Who is Quarrels" for the guy who asked.....how can one be a USC fan and not know who Quarrels is?
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #28
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
This board is full of Smart A$$es... It is beginning to feel like tigernet
Yes, Im seeing that. I did mis-spell Quarles as Quarrels, the grammar police got me.

But, someone asked why would it be assumed it would be him filling Quarles spot and not one of the others....

The Gamecocks don't have many scholarships to offer this year. And most coaches don't like the JUCO route because they only get them for 2 years, and they don't know the system.

Limited scholarships, plus taking a JUCO, means the USC staff thinks their current DT's aren't gonna be good enough to fill that role, thus spending a scarce scholarship this year on a JUCO DT.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #29
FLgamecockJAX
4-Star

Male

FLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his claws

Maybe they see him as productive and making the impact of a Jasper Brinkley?
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #30
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm guessing Lamin will benefit from being an EE, taking advantage of our S&C program to built explosiveness and stamina, and using spring practice to get a jump on learning the system. I seriously doubt any interior lineman replaced Quarles's sack totals this year, but I do expect to see pressure up the middle. Lamin looks like a run suffer, even though a little tall, but he may have the pursuit with his reputed quickness to tackle side-to-side much like Quarles. I don't expect him to log the downs Quarles did even if he's the best of the bunch. We may have the talent inside to play 4-5 guys who can keep offensive linemen off our linebackers even better than this year. I have more concern on the edges than in the middle. I'm anxious to see if Lamin can get up to speed relatively quickly.

Quote:
Maybe they see him as productive and making the impact of a Jasper Brinkley?
Not at DT. Brinkley made everyone around him better - and tallied over 100 tackles his first year.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #31
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I'm guessing Lamin will benefit from being an EE, taking advantage of our S&C program to built explosiveness and stamina, and using spring practice to get a jump on learning the system. I seriously doubt any interior lineman replaced Quarles's sack totals this year, but I do expect to see pressure up the middle. Lamin looks like a run suffer, even though a little tall, but he may have the pursuit with his reputed quickness to tackle side-to-side much like Quarles. I don't expect him to log the downs Quarles did even if he's the best of the bunch. We may have the talent inside to play 4-5 guys who can keep offensive linemen off our linebackers even better than this year. I have more concern on the edges than in the middle. I'm anxious to see if Lamin can get up to speed relatively quickly.

Not at DT. Brinkley made everyone around him better - and tallied over 100 tackles his first year.
I think that's what next years D line will be like, more of a group effort than a line with a few stars and the rest backups. And that could be even better. If we have 8 guys who are all good enough to start, even without a Clowney-like superstar, we can rotate and keep fresh legs in at all times and be very effective.

And with the LB corp that it appears we are shaping up to have, that could be very dangerous for our opponents. If our DL is fresh and active, and the LB's can roam and run free, watch out. And God forbid our secondary get up to speed to play man coverage where we can blitz Bryant and Skai.