CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
Coulwoodwarlord
WeStillOwnUSC
ZenUSC
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
cockybusiness2
SpurProsecutor
Pw00132
Kentucky prediction (1802)
Just Booked my Hotel (1213)
Best position coach (640)
So What? (630)
The New Idea That'll (511)
Waldrop doubtful for (392)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (340)
So What? (219)
We Have A New KO Guy (215)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (200)
The New Idea That'll Fix
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Build a New Stadium
We Have A New KO Guy
4th & 1 Play
Kentucky prediction
Dylan Thompson looks brok
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Just Booked my Hotel for
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
(CNN) -- The death threats, Mary Willingham expected.
More shocking is that the University of North Carolina is now disavowing her research as a whistleblower -- research that showed between 8% and 10% of the school's football and basketball players are reading below a third-grade level.
UNC issued a statement Wednesday night saying it did not believe Willingham's account of a basketball player who could not read or write
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/nca...html?hpt=hp_c2
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Mess with the money and you go hoffa

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Yep, those baby blue hoodlums are going to beat her with their penny-loafers.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

I wouldn't cast stones people.

I still think it should be a requirement that random tests be given to all student athletes and they be monitored by outside sources to determine if said "athlete" can actually learn in a college environment. I know of at least two people who were denied scholarships to South Carolina during my tenure that would have done great things in the name of our university. Instead those two scholorships were given to eventual dropouts or student athletes that had trouble reading at a 3rd grade level.

This happens in all schools including Clemson, you think Watkins, Hopkins, Spiller, or Ellington legitimately made it in?

Better yet, look at the Mythological "Harvard, or Yale, or Stanford". There are people currently attending, and will graduate based on things other than their education. It's a PC sham in most Ivy league schools now. MIT, CalTech, and similar schools may be an exception due to their Technological Specialties and not being able to BS such a degree as you can a "Lawyer (who hasn't passed a bar/Community Organizer) type of person.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

As I wrote elsewhere, I have no problem casting stones at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill because of their insistence that they were doing it the "Carolina way." They have looked down their noses at the rest of the collegiate world and should enjoy the hell out of the crap sandwich that they have made.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

So says a school that allowed student athletes to pass classes that never existed.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

She should steer clear of anybody in Bermuda shorts until this blows over.
taylorssc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

The assassin that gets her will be wearing Duck Heads.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
The assassin that gets her will be wearing Duck Heads.
Guess that's why they call him the Duck Head Dork; hear he's a real bad boy.
Hear they sent him after Scooter Girl(Bobby P's playmate). Haven't heard anything 'bout her lately. Hmm, I wonder...
Gotta save Deano's souffle for baby blue posterity; Can't have no stompin' feet makin' it fall.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

People are intelligent in different ways. I don't think you can standardize intelligence, nor do I think athletes with learning disabilities should be denied access to their sport on a collegiate level. I have no problem with a football player who has dyslexia receiving a football scholarship as long as he goes to class and does his best. He may have to have his tests read aloud to him. There's nothing wrong with that. I once had a student who was 16 in the third grade. He was failing everything, but I knew he answered questions in class. He wasn't stupid. When I took him aside and read the tests to him, he made B's. He knew the material, but he couldn't read the questions. He owns a trucking business now.

The dyslexic athlete probably will never graduate, though he may have a shot at the NFL. He is being prepared for a job at which he can excel. That's a good thing.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Strange...people here are roasting UNC for it, I promise USC has student-athletes that wouldn't make it in college either

so does UGA, LSU, CCU...all colleges do it.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Strange...people here are roasting UNC for it, I promise USC has student-athletes that wouldn't make it in college either

See post 5

Do all colleges do it while saying they do if the "Carolina Way"? I don't recall USC patting themselves for doing it better while doing it the same way.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

some of those UNC players were grading themselves and signing the professors name for classes that never existed, yikes i dont think every school does that

Quote:
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. -- A former professor at the center of an academic scandal involving athletes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been charged with a felony, accused of receiving $12,000 in payment for a lecture course in which he held no classes.
A grand jury on Monday indicted Julius Nyang'Oro with a single felony count of obtaining property by false pretenses.
Nyang'Oro was chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. He resigned from that post in 2011 during a campus investigation that found certain classes in the department that instructors did not teach, undocumented grade changes and faked faculty signatures on some grade reports.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-no-show-class
Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

You also don't see us providing someone the info to prove it and then calling them a liar when it goes public.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
People are intelligent in different ways. I don't think you can standardize intelligence, nor do I think athletes with learning disabilities should be denied access to their sport on a collegiate level. I have no problem with a football player who has dyslexia receiving a football scholarship as long as he goes to class and does his best. He may have to have his tests read aloud to him. There's nothing wrong with that. I once had a student who was 16 in the third grade. He was failing everything, but I knew he answered questions in class. He wasn't stupid. When I took him aside and read the tests to him, he made B's. He knew the material, but he couldn't read the questions. He owns a trucking business now.

The dyslexic athlete probably will never graduate, though he may have a shot at the NFL. He is being prepared for a job at which he can excel. That's a good thing.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
If they have a learning disability that can be proven and diagnosed I think exceptions can be made as they can and are for non-athletes. I also don't think 10% of any schools athletes have learning disabilities that severe so the point you're making isn't really valid.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/us/unc...html?hpt=hp_t3

unc whistle blower, Mary Willingham, announces her intent to leave unc because of a hostile work environment.

"A whistle-blower whose research on athletes' literacy caused a firestorm of controversy at the University of North Carolina is leaving, she told CNN on Monday.
Mary Willingham said it's her choice. She said she hasn't yet turned in a final letter of resignation but simply informed her boss that she plans to leave before the end of the semester.

"It's been a hostile work environment the entire year," Willingham told CNN. "I stuck it out because I wanted to make good on promises to my students, but it has not been fun."

UNC did not immediately respond to CNN's requests for comment.

Willingham was one of the original UNC staff members to publicly call attention to a system of "paper classes" at UNC. She told the The News & Observer newspaper in nearby Raleigh that athletes were pushed into classes that required very little work and no attendance." -from the article.

Looks like she got processed for speaking out.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 540
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Who read her comments to the players?
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Who read her comments to the players?
Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/4/9/...caa-title-team

She basically calls out the 2005 * National Championship team as most of them were AFAM majors.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Today we know the foundation of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success was Papa Sam Gilbert.
Today we know the price of Cam Newton's father's integrity.
Today we know scandal-plagued UNC is the most lawless institution in NCAA history.
Today we know the NCAA & Mark Emmert are a paper tiger.

A few moments ago I accessed my browser, typed in 'UNC scandal' and hit enter. A few moments and 2.4 million hits later, more answers.

Today the color of delusion is powder blue.
Today it doesn't matter that the NCAA doesn't have a pair because the court of public opinion has decided to do your job for you.
Today both UNC & the NCAA have become laughingstocks in the eyes of the American people.
And finally, today Mary Willingham matters because she showed us more integrity than UNC & the NCAA combined.

Dr. P, I can't believe we don't have a place for a woman like her if she'll re-locate.

Last edited by OldPat; 04-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote