CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Order 66
Backup QB competitio (2642)
2014 Preseason USA T (1267)
Ranking the SEC Fema (780)
Anyone heard anythin (721)
Future Non-Conferenc (628)
Spurrier on the cove (411)
What Would You Do? (393)
Ranking the SEC scho (304)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (225)
Ranking the SEC Fema (222)
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Hello Gamecocks!
Anyone heard anything abo
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
2015 - Albert Huggins
Dustin Johnson taking a l
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Cheap jersey and very nic

Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: usa today 2014 rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
I guess I would have to ask what do they have to do to prove themselves since the entire starting LB crew is returning.
Play better than they did this year. We got gnashed up the middle fairly consistently all year. Did they play at SEC Championship level? No, they got better as the year went on & we got about all anyone could expect out of a group that with that much inexperience. There is still a ton of room for improvement & I trust they'll make that jump.

I get where Coondog is coming from & I also get where you're coming from.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 01-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #23
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

When did not posting links become cool?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #24
ctgarric
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 495
ctgarric is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Winning will take care of everything. We are losing a ton of talent so I understand where they are coming from.
Nor sure where you're getting 'ton' from.. We lose what: 3 players on offense and 4 on defense? I wouldn't consider that a ton.
ctgarric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #25
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing.
They effect what people think about teams. Some of the voters in these polls actually won't drop a team unless they lose. They don't always look at the teams they are beating. They go with this "they can't help whose on their schedule" crap as a justification. So, while in a perfect world, preseason polls wouldn't even exist, because of the media needing to tell us who are playing in the "big games" early in the season in order generate hype, ratings, and thus revenue, we they will continue exist and to slant voting unfortunately.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #26
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
I don't think pre-season rankings are that important to SEC schools. I'm pretty sure we were pre-season top 10 this season and Auburn wasn't even ranked. If an SEC team wins week after week, they'll move up.

Now, if you're UCF, pre-season rankings make a difference. But we're not. Personally, I would just assume the team start outside of the top ten. We have home games with A&M, Georgia, and Missouri early in 2014, which gives up an excellent chance to climb in the rankings prior to the Auburn game.
2004 Auburn disagrees.

I don't put much credence into pre-season rankings - but it can come back to bite you.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #27
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

A more telling stat is what does Vegas think? They have us at 25-1 to win the National Championship next year. Lots of good teams in that neighborhood.
http://t.gamedayr.com/gamedayr/#!/en...12186cb283b7/3
Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Where we start in the polls effects where we finish. As long as that doesn't keep us out of the playoffs though.
No. It has no effect on where you finish:

PRESEASON...............FINAL
1. Bama........................1. FSU
2. tOSU ........................2. Auburn
3. Oregon............. .......3. Michigan St
4. Stanford............. .....4, SCar
5. Georgia .................. .5. Mizzou

6. A&M ...........................6. Oklahoma
7. SCar.........................:..7. Clemson
8. Clemson .....................8. Bama
9. Louisville .....................9. Oregon
10. Florida ......................10. tOSU

11. Notre Dame ..............11. Stanford
12. FSU ..........................12. UCF
13. LSU ...................:.......13. Baylor
14. Okie State ..................14. LSU
15. Texas .........................15. Louisville

16. Oklahoma....................16. UCLA
17. Michigan ......................17. Okie State
18. Nebraska .....................18. A&M
19. Boise.............................19. Southern Cal
20. TCU...............................20. Arizona St

21. UCLA ............................21. Wisconsin
22. Northwestern ................22. Duke
23. Wisconsin .....................23. Vandy
24. Southern Cal ................24. Notre Dame
25. Oregon St .....................25. Nebraska

-
Eight complete misses out of 25.

Eight dropped out. Eight took their place. So, the preseason poll was 68% correct in predicting who would finish ranked in the final poll. We can say that a preseason poll is more accurate than not in predicting who will be ranked at season's end

Only a handful of teams finished within five spots of their preseason ranking: SCar, Clemson, Southern Cal, UCLA, Wisconsin. This is probably more inaccurate than most years. However, I think, we can safely say that a preseason poll is a very inaccurate way of predicting where a team will be ranked by EOY.
-----------

Don't worry about pre-season rankings. Yeah, they hurt a team like UCF. They will not affect us. Jut win baby.
sgacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #29
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

USA Today Hates us!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #30
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Winning will take care of everything. We are losing a ton of talent so I understand where they are coming from.

ctgarric
Nor sure where you're getting 'ton' from.. We lose what: 3 players on offense and 4 on defense? I wouldn't consider that a ton
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

3 on offense is correct but one of those is the most important position on the field.
Defense we lose 3 of 4 on the DL & both CB's. The real problem is that Dixon Jr was the only DE that contributed substantially in a backup role & the cupboard is about as bare as you will ever find at CB from an experience standpoint.
Point being it's one thing to have to replace starters, everybody does that, what is unusual the almost total lack of experience of the defensive guys that will fill those positions. Just one of those things that happened for a variety of reasons that the staff will have to deal with. It is far from an ideal situation & how it pans out remains to be seen.

I won't speak for tailfeathers but perhaps that's what he means & it's a very legitimate area of concern imo.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #31
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelol View Post
behind such teams as clemson (who's losing a star qb/wr/de)
we're... um... also losing a star qb/wr/de.
not that I think we should be ranked that low or anything, but if you're gonna knock clemson for it......
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 AM   #32
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001

To everyone who doubts South Carolina's performance this past season. We finished with the same record as the previous year. These last few years have been the best record-wise in the entire history of our college football. We slacked off somewhat on defense, because it was the youngest defense in the nation statistically. But the Gamecocks still managed to muster an 11-2 record, facing pressure the entire way. We were able to douse Wisconsin's running attack. The Garnet and Black will come roaring back next fall stronger - more inspired than ever and game-proven. We have finished the season with the higest rank in our program's history. All signs are pointing up - and so is our recruiting.

Go Cocks!

Benjamin

- - - - - - -

Please take a look at my profile for more about me.
The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

You know after our first couple of successful seasons starting 4 years ago I was worried about how this team would bounce back after losing talent like Jeffery, Ingram, Gilmore and Lattimore. Now I think we have enough depth to sustain competitive teams. We haven't had to rebuild in quite some time. We just reload with new talent. We might not have the national respect we think we deserve but in my eyes we are one of the nations top programs that produces 4-5 NFL players each year and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote