CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Regalcock
thekob
Pty23
2000grad
Badazcock
CCC
Spurticus
gromweat
Well, as it turns ou (3121)
Luginbill says ECU s (2724)
What the heck is up (2421)
Davis dinged up agai (1926)
ECU fan here (1605)
Freaky Coincidence o (1350)
Defensive stand-arou (1116)
New Photos by Travis (1021)
Quarles is a Colt! (862)
For the love of God! (761)
Luginbill says ECU should
Waldrop injured
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
Davis dinged up again?
For the love of God! -- P
New Photos by Travis Bell
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud
Well, as it turns out, we
Missing that annual relea

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: Chad Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Uuummmmm, no it's not. If anything, it's the exact opposite.
Uh... Nope.

You're wrong.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...next-for-vandy

The story has always been that Morris promised his daughter she would graduate from the same high school she started at. If he turns down Vandy, he is at clemmers another year. This is the last BCS job on the market pretty much, and he would be inheriting a team that went to a bowl game in the best conference in the country. He also has enough cover for losses due to Vanderbilt having pretty high admission standards.

I know what you guys say about him not beating us, but I want the guy gone. He has helped clemmers win games they always lost before. I want Dabo to be left holding the bag rebuilding the offense so people can see how inept of a football coach he really is.
Agree with this. I've said pretty consistently that I think Morris will be at Clemson for quite some time, mostly because the jobs he wants won't be offered to him. That said, I think it has to be dawning on him that if he goes, whether that's as head coach somewhere or OC at Texas, Dabo will go full Chizik-mode and he'll be able to return as head coach within 2-3 years.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
There are a lot of similarities between Morris' and Malzahn's offenses. Morris 'studied' under Malzahn's offensive school of thought. This is not debatable, its pretty widely known.

From what I have seen Malzahn leans more on the running attack where Morris leans on the pass. They both do both but they have their tendencies toward one or the other. Malzahn is also better at making adjustments and coaching the team to implement them. I do not like gimmick offenses but I have to be honest that Malzahn's is the only one that I can see beating an elite defense if the defense bites and does not play assignment. Clemson's can easily be intrupted through just messing with their timing and pressuring the QB. Boyd helped with that a lot because of his break downs after getting hit. With Malzhan leaning on the run he is more likely to beat you cause the run opens the pass because they have so many running threats that can get it done. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Curious how ChadMo's offense will look next year if he stays at Clemson.

I guess the first question is who will be the starting QB. A lot of Clemson fans think True Freshman Deshaun Watson will be a day 1 starter (they open @ UGA). But if the starting QB is Cole Stoudt, he's not near the runner Tajh was.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
jerrett26
Walk On

Male

jerrett26 has hatched from the shell

I believe Cole will win the job. He can run the ball just enough, ut his passing ability I think will be better than Tajh.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #26
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
From what I have seen Malzahn leans more on the running attack where Morris leans on the pass. They both do both but they have their tendencies toward one or the other. Malzahn is also better at making adjustments and coaching the team to implement them. I do not like gimmick offenses but I have to be honest that Malzahn's is the only one that I can see beating an elite defense if the defense bites and does not play assignment. Clemson's can easily be intrupted through just messing with their timing and pressuring the QB. Boyd helped with that a lot because of his break downs after getting hit. With Malzhan leaning on the run he is more likely to beat you cause the run opens the pass because they have so many running threats that can get it done. Just my opinion.
please define "gimmick offense"
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
please define "gimmick offense"
I think he means nontraditional offense?

I see value in Morris (maybe not that OC salary's worth, geez). I agree with trapper and would prefer him gone. -Morris +Kiffin* is a net gain for the schedule.

Last edited by JTsecSC; 01-10-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: *I was having fun hoping Kiffin moving in
Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Their schemes are kinda the same in Chad learned from Malzahn but one relies more on ground game one relies more on passing. Plus id still say Malzahn is going to be a way better HC than Chad would ever be. A lot of you seem to think Bc he learned from him that means hes as good as him.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
I think he means nontraditional offense?

I see value in Morris (maybe not that OC salary's worth, geez). I agree with trapper and would prefer him gone. -Morris +Kiffin* is a net gain for the schedule.
if that is the case, then we run a "non-traditional" offense as well...zone read is not traditional.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
I'm not an expert on Xs and Os, but the similarity I see is that both guys use lots of motion with the intent of getting defensive players to have their eyes in the wrong place, read the wrong key, miss an assignment.
The key difference I see, at least with this year's Auburn offense, is that Malzahn wants to wear you down and cause breakdowns that result in huge gains on running plays. Morris is looking to keep a D off balance with the run and those quick screens thrown to the sideline, then have breakdowns that result in huge gains on passing plays.
Malzahn is much better at making in-game adjustments.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #31
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
if that is the case, then we run a "non-traditional" offense as well...zone read is not traditional.
Sorry I just didn't feel like expanding before. From my experience, people use that term describing newer, far-less common (zone read concepts have been around and are not rare) offensive game plans and sets that usually exploit specific weaknesses in contemporary defenses. That's the impression I've gotten when people say gimmic offense.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Agree with this. I've said pretty consistently that I think Morris will be at Clemson for quite some time, mostly because the jobs he wants won't be offered to him. That said, I think it has to be dawning on him that if he goes, whether that's as head coach somewhere or OC at Texas, Dabo will go full Chizik-mode and he'll be able to return as head coach within 2-3 years.
Now may really be the ideal time for him to leave though with Tajh, Sammy etc leaving. If he stays another year he could be exposed badly and lose out on any shot at a decent head coaching gig. On the other hand, the Clemmers are paying him a king's ransom as it is to be a coordinator.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Just for the fun of it, lets say Chad leaves for somewhere/anywhere. Where/who does Dabo go for his new OC?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #34
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Just for the fun of it, lets say Chad leaves for somewhere/anywhere. Where/who does Dabo go for his new OC?
Maybe Dabo? We could only hope

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #35
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

He's sittin pretty right now making more than a lot of head coaches. Doesn't get all the flack coaches do after a loss, yet still gets the glory when things go right. Notice how Clemson players dumped gatorade on Dabo after the Orange Bowl, then marched straight over and dumped it on Morris too. It's no secret he's the mastermind behind most of their success.

And I agree, if he truly was as "content" as the Clemson crowd says he is, why is he still interviewing?

He's made it known he wants to become a head coach.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #36
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
How long before Luisville wins the ACC with Petrino? 2 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Probably! With gaudy passing numbers
I hope you're recruiting some 4-5* DB's Dabo....

Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #37
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

If Morris runs a Gimmick offense then so does Auburn, and with that, a gimmick offense won the sec this year (as well as in 2010, 2008 and 2006)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #38
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
I think he will promote another assistant to the OC job but Dabo will be heavily involved in running it. They will try to continue using Morris' offense, except with far less success.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #39
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I think he will promote another assistant to the OC job but Dabo will be heavily involved in running it. They will try to continue using Morris' offense, except with far less success.
Jeff Scott...
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #40
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Jim Tressel......... that way Dabo's job will still be safe.