CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
Latti
usc1
Seladen
PageUSC
thumpin big
ZenUSC
Cockypantherfan
**USC vs. Clemson GA (1471)
looks like we have 2 (1420)
Beat Miami (597)
Decommitment from Te (498)
Garcia and Clemsux T (438)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (430)
Frank Martin's Game (412)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (375)
Cleveland Browns Hea (200)
Need a dog kennel (152)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
Cleveland Browns Headshot
looks like we have 2 OL r
So, why is next year goin
Beat Miami
NY Giants Joe Morrison tr
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kelvin Rainey

I hope he doesn't transfer.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Why do we even have coaches to bother making these football decisions when we have guys on internet talking about the laws of physics? The guy wanted be a TE we went forward with his training for being a TE. We have guys that we've trained as LBs. Now you expect the coaches to switch him to defense and train him on defensive positioning and taking angles and tackling technique and reading the quarterback, and not falling misdirection and have him learn all the defensive plays and arrangements? That stuff takes a lot of time to learn and get good at. It's too late for this. The linebackers we have now are doing a good job. They are a huge improvment and if they switched Rainey it would be a while before he is able to work his way up the depth chart. You don't seem to understand that Rainey was nothing but a fill-in at LB this spring. He's a TE, that's all. Some of our linebackers may be a little small now, but they are absolute ballers and they are they future of our defense.
It is never too late and he has played football all his life, it is not like he is clueless as to how to tackle, take angles or read a QB but I agree that the LB's we have are playing well. The defense as a unit is playing really well and if he needed to be on defense I have no doubt Ward and Spurrier would have him there. He obviously has done nothing during the 7 games he has played, so I find it strange for a fan to call for him to get playing time at a position that we are not struggling at and in fact statistically had there best game as a unit IMO! Ii saw him briefly in the spring and he had good instincts, he was not a good tackler but had a nose for the ball.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Rainey is a stud athlete, we just need to find a way to get him on the field.

I'm thinking he could be a hell of a FB/TE hybrid or LB/Spur as well. I don't know about DE though.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I was talking stricly about him at LB so I'm more telling Ward who he needs to play. We have good players we like at LB? I like them ok, sure, but the fact remains that we are too small and are basically running a dime package defense all the time. Kelvin won the spring practice defensive big play award... I was banned for expressing my feelings about our entire 2 deep at LB graduating and even in clean up time last year against a team like UGA we had senior LBs on the field. Anyways, the laws of physics suggest that Rainey would be more effective at bringing down 1 of Bama's 3 215+lb. running backs than our other LBs. He would at least make us appear more physical. Idk though. There is no easy fix when looking at our second level vrs. the power run. I do admit they are getting better though.
The points is, the coaches have a plan. They've seen what Kelvin is capable of and know is strengths and weakness and how ready he is and how he can help our team the best. This "we have to get him on the field" is coming out of left field.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Rainey is a stud athlete, we just need to find a way to get him on the field.

I'm thinking he could be a hell of a FB/TE hybrid or LB/Spur as well. I don't know about DE though.
If we HAD to get him on the field he would BE on the field.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Qua gilchrist- LB to FB
Cory Robinson- DT to LT
Jamari smith- Rb to CB to RB
Pharoh cooper- CB to WR
Melvin Ingram- MLB to DE

could keep going but I think you get the point.
The thing is that Rainey has previous training at the position of LB and excelled there in spring
To the point that he won awards in the spring for how much he excelled.
The plan is for him to be a TE, he wants to be a TE and when he won those "awards" We didn't have all those freshman LBs there. The coaches saw the freshman and liked them, we wanted to develop them. Guys like TJ Holloman and Kaiwan Lewis were shining in the offseason. It's working out great so the decided they didn't need Rainey at LB. If we switched to defense he STILL would not see the field. It is what it is.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The points is, the coaches have a plan. They've seen what Kelvin is capable of and know is strengths and weakness and how ready he is and how he can help our team the best. This "we have to get him on the field" is coming out of left field.
Agree, I had high hopes he was the answer after reading reports from Spurticus and the local media, I have no doubt Rainey will do great things as a Gamecock he is only a RS Fr.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Qua gilchrist- LB to FB
Cory Robinson- DT to LT
Jamari smith- Rb to CB to RB
Pharoh cooper- CB to WR
Melvin Ingram- MLB to DE

could keep going but I think you get the point.
The thing is that Rainey has previous training at the position of LB and excelled there in spring
To the point that he won awards in the spring for how much he excelled.

He didn't excel as a LB this spring. He excelled at pass coverage but he was awful in the run game. He was not a good tackler. He asked to move back to TE. So why does everyone want him to play a position he doesn't want to play?
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
It is never too late and he has played football all his life, it is not like he is clueless as to how to tackle, take angles or read a QB but I agree that the LB's we have are playing well. The defense as a unit is playing really well and if he needed to be on defense I have no doubt Ward and Spurrier would have him there. He obviously has done nothing during the 7 games he has played, so I find it strange for a fan to call for him to get playing time at a position that we are not struggling at and in fact statistically had there best game as a unit IMO! Ii saw him briefly in the spring and he had good instincts, he was not a good tackler but had a nose for the ball.
I would not say our linebackers are playing well now. I'd say they had one OK game and one pretty good game. There is still real weakness in pass coverage, stopping power, and missed assignments. They seem to have come along a good bit, but time the next three games (esp Clemson) will tell.
On Rainey, I consider him a tweener as far as tight end - a fast small one. I think he might have the speed to be a jumbo WR if he is a good route runner. He certainly can sky (about 35" vertical) at 6-3, so he could be useful if he can get open or can abuse a DB like a slightly smaller Alshon could.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I would not say our linebackers are playing well now. I'd say they had one OK game and one pretty good game. There is still real weakness in pass coverage, stopping power, and missed assignments. They seem to have come along a good bit, but time the next three games (esp Clemson) will tell.
On Rainey, I consider him a tweener as far as tight end - a fast small one. I think he might have the speed to be a jumbo WR if he is a good route runner. He certainly can sky (about 35" vertical) at 6-3, so he could be useful if he can get open or can abuse a DB like a slightly smaller Alshon could.
So you don't think they are playing well or you do, they certainly played well in the last 2 games IMO and that would be "now". To say he is undersized is just misinformation, he is within 10lbs of the 3 TE's we presently play and he is 2-3" shorter, so are all of our TE's small?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming in

Rainey needs to stay at TE. He will get his chance next year when Busta and Jerrel go pro. I personally don't think he would excel at DE. It takes a certain type of player (both physical and mental) and he is definitely more of a TE. He knows it, the coaches know it, we are the only ones disputing it.

Last edited by CockFighter; 11-11-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I felt like it
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #32
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
Rainey needs to stay at TE. He will get his chance next year when Busta and Jerrel go pro. I personally don't think he would excel at DE. It takes a certain type of player (both physical and mental) and he is definitely more of a TE. He knows it, the coaches know it, we are the only ones disputing it.
Adams and Owens will be here another 2 years and Anderson another year, they will not leave early IMO.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #33
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
So you don't think they are playing well or you do, they certainly played well in the last 2 games IMO and that would be "now". To say he is undersized is just misinformation, he is within 10lbs of the 3 TE's we presently play and he is 2-3" shorter, so are all of our TE's small?
They've come up from making me scream at the TV almost every play to just keeping me nervous. I hope the next two games are up to par and the Clemson game is lights out. It could happen.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #34
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
They've come up from making me scream at the TV almost every play to just keeping me nervous. I hope the next two games are up to par and the Clemson game is lights out. It could happen.
Exactly, so why would we want to reshuffle that now if our coaches thinks Rainey is better off as TE? We have too much to play for still this season to be taking that kind of a gamble if we aren't 100% sure this the guy we want out there.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #35
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
exactly...they're young and they're learning on the job.....it doesn't happen overnight. I like to say their mistakes now aren't as bad as their mistakes were 2 months ago.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #36
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Exactly, so why would we want to reshuffle that now if our coaches thinks Rainey is better off as TE? We have too much to play for still this season to be taking that kind of a gamble if we aren't 100% sure this the guy we want out there.
I certainly agree with that thought. It seems to me the LB's have struggled (kind word) more from missing assignments and poor technique than from size. The time to try Rainey out elsewhere is spring, and that already happened. The TE position seems quite logjammed now. He certainly has better HBack/FB size (more compact) than the 3 TE's ahead of him. I saw some hard-nosed play from him in the spring, and we might benefit from a bruiser WR on the field at times.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #37
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Just wanted to put this here. Lots of reasons to pull for this kid...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #38
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Maybe with so much inexperience at WR...we see more two tights and flex packages.
I think Rainey really fits the mold of the flex-end...you just have to wonder how good his blocking is.

Seems he and Kevin Crosby could both fit that mold and help build a new position at Carolina..

But I do worry we don't start using him that he may go elsewhere.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote