CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
b381l
ReadR00ster
Acockolypse Now
ACPhilson
kick_ball
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
TAFC 5 1981
Auburn looks beatabl (3646)
Three young corners (1713)
**official Vandy pre (1446)
King - South Carolin (1155)
Haven't seen one unb (643)
No Vandy Predictions (574)
Funny Golf Story Abo (395)
Zumwalt Stealth Dest (385)
Texas Tech assistant (277)
Defense Tackles (272)
Next years RB situation
Auburn Stealing Signals?
Well, as it turns out, we
**official Vandy predicti
Funny Golf Story About HB
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Good crowd for volleyball
Three young corners progr
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
BBQ Hash Recipes?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default A final salute to Connor Shaw

I'll go ahead and say this...if there is a Mt. Rushmore of Gamecock QBs...Connor Shaw is on mine, along with Ellis, Tanneyhill Grantz.

We will truly miss Connor...not just as a leader and face of the program, but as a player.
The guy was tough, had moxy, was cool under pressure (most of the time) and was the reason we won a lot of games.

In my opinion, he may be the best overall QB in USC history..and the stats back that up.

His 6,074 passing yards ranks him 4th all time.
His 56 passing TDs put him 2nd only to Taneyhill.
Check my math, but I think his TD-INT ratio of 7-2 (56-16) is 1st overall...Taneyhill's was about 5-3 (61-37).
His career rating of 155.9 (among meaningful number of starts) is No. 1 all-tme.

The most wins as a starter..never lost at home.

And that isn't even mentioning his running ability.
HIs 1,683 career yards places him places him 13th all-time..No. 1 among QBs.
His 17 rushing TDs place him in a tie for 12th with Gary Harper, Duce Staley and Kent Hagood (BTW, Marcus Lattimore holds that record with 38).

So here it is.
A final toast to, in my opinion, the best QB to ever come through South Carolina. CONNOR SHAW!

1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: A final salute to Connor Shaw

He is truly the best to ever play his position here... ever.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
AlshonLattimore
Walk On

Male

AlshonLattimore is sharpening his clawsAlshonLattimore is sharpening his clawsAlshonLattimore is sharpening his clawsAlshonLattimore is sharpening his clawsAlshonLattimore is sharpening his claws

Connor is the best ever here hands down. Ellis and Tanneyhill were great QBs but none had Connors will to win. The W-L record here while Connor was starting QB speaks for itself. His athleticism also is far superior to Ellis and Tanneyhill and he took this program to new heights and posted 3 straight 11 win seasons. Tough to argue that he isnt the best of all time here. Also his ability to put up with Spurrier and his criticism. Tanneyhill and Ellis never had to deal with the HBC
AlshonLattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

Go with God young man you're always be in our hearts.
gsgp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

He's a true inspiration to us all. He didn't receive all of the hype, but his actions on the football field were much louder than any words ever spoken. I feel truly blessed to have been able to watch him be recruited, play his heart out even when injured and get Todd Ellis so excited that he had Connor running past the 55 yard line for a TD.

He is like Lattimore in my opinion. A true Ambassador to USC that has done so much yet asked for nothing in return. God Speed Connor, God Speed.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Most Bowl Wins! this can go on and on !
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

most wins against Uga FLa klimpson
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Never lost a home game and never lost to Clemson... Boss!!!! Best qb ever at USC, period

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

What I like about Connor, among other things, is how he responded to pressure and how he improved his game. He made tremendous strides each year and in his final year he was money in the bank.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Scooter2001
Walk On

CockyCash: 1860
Scooter2001 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlshonLattimore View Post
Connor is the best ever here hands down. Ellis and Tanneyhill were great QBs but none had Connors will to win. The W-L record here while Connor was starting QB speaks for itself. His athleticism also is far superior to Ellis and Tanneyhill and he took this program to new heights and posted 3 straight 11 win seasons. Tough to argue that he isnt the best of all time here. Also his ability to put up with Spurrier and his criticism. Tanneyhill and Ellis never had to deal with the HBC
Hands down may be a little of a stretch. Grantz was IMO still the best, but it is hard to argue about Connor, he has been simply amazing.

"Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car,
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far. "

Scooter2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

He's my favorite player in the 9 years I've been following the Gamecocks.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter2001 View Post
Hands down may be a little of a stretch. Grantz was IMO still the best, but it is hard to argue about Connor, he has been simply amazing.
I give the edge to Connor over Grantz by a small margin.Both excellent runners and passers.In the final analysis QB's are judged by the teams success and no QB has led his team to anything to compare to the last 3 years.

For my all time list I would have Shaw,Grantz,Suggs,Tanneyhill,Ellis,Wright, Fuller,and Petty.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

When we watched the Cap1 bowl together, I explained to my 6 year old son, Eli, that this would be the last chance we would have to watch Connor play for the Gamecocks. Connor has been taking the snaps for us as long as Eli can remember. He just couldn't understand why Connor couldn't play for us anymore.

During the post-game awards Eli started crying. When I asked why, he told me that the Gamecocks just weren't the Gamecocks without Connor Shaw. I realized that, in his 6 year old way, Eli had touched on a very simple truth. The Gamecocks teams of the past two-plus years have very much become Connor Shaw's Gamecocks. They embodied the things we admired most about Connor. They never quit. It wasn't always pretty, or perfect. It hurt to watch at times. They fought no matter what. They were Connor Shaw.

Thank you Connor, for bringing me and my son a little closer together. Thank you for making the Gamecocks the toughest damned team in college football. Thank you for being willing to sacrifice your body for the pride of Gamecock Nation. Mostly, thank you for helping my little boy grow up in a world where he gets to look down on Clemson fans while holding up those five little fingers!
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Conner was the Best on and off the field. His respect from the players was unmatched, because he led by example, hard work, film study, etc. If you don't think so listen to the player interviews about Conner.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
GoCocks09CSOL
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 239530
GoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his comb

Now that he's on his way out, I realize more and more what an epic player and Gamecock he really is. It was a real pleasure watching Connor battle for some of the biggest wins we've ever had. I'm really going to miss watching Connor, but I'm excited and grateful for the big shoes he's left to fill. I hope to see him playing on Sundays soon!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
boonyg
Recruit

Male

boonyg has hatched from the shell

i never saw grantz play but everyone here that has agrees he was a manchild athlete. maybe he was and the teams were not that great around him but his passing stats leave a lot to be desired. i know he was a good runner also but Connor could do both effectively. here are grantz's stats. not in the same hemisphere as Connor's passing wise (rushing stats almost even) to say nothing of the won-loss record Connor had vs. Grantz. Not picking any arguments just curious why some here feel Grantz would be even considered on par with Connor.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-grantz-1.html

CAREER PASSING STATISTICS
boonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Grantz and Ellis are completely overrated. I know a lot of people have fond childhood memories of these two but in truth, they were both, at best, above average college QB's.

Connor is a winner, and will always be remembered as such. I wish Tanneyhill had been on teams with better defenses.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

he also holds the season and career record for td's responsible for as well as the season and career completion percentage records. we didnt previously have a spot on the ramp for those career records, but obviously connor is going to get a spot so its just a question of where will they put it and what will they list. all 3 or just the td's and wins.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #19
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

I understand everyone has their own opinion and their own personal favorite players, but why does a SALUTE to Connor Shaw have to turn into a debate over who's where on the list of all-time greats. Can we not just say Connor was great, be thankful for what he did during his four years here, and leave it at that?
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
boonyg
Recruit

Male

boonyg has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35-21 View Post
I understand everyone has their own opinion and their own personal favorite players, but why does a SALUTE to Connor Shaw have to turn into a debate over who's where on the list of all-time greats. Can we not just say Connor was great, be thankful for what he did during his four years here, and leave it at that?

fair enough. i'm just sincerely curious about why some feel grantz was better. i never saw him play and can only go on the #s and they don't bear out a strong case at all. if someone has the answer please enlighten me.
boonyg is offline   Reply With Quote