CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
GoldenSpur7
yazoo
StormOfTalons
donbgamecock
JerseyBird
IslandCock
The Yancey
BlueHerons
Evilchicken2
OBC banner being add (2247)
The bane of our seas (1825)
Ward wants us to pla (1479)
Who scores the first (1395)
Davis Playing in A&a (1172)
SL,UT Gamecocks (826)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (787)
CFB Playoff Bracket (647)
All garnet for Thurs (560)
I'm not buying the h (550)
Tanner McEvoy Starting QB
Madden 15 demo?
Mcevoy
I'm not buying the hype,
OBC banner being added to
SL,UT Gamecocks
Connor Shaw Browns
First "Carolina Call
SCHSL & SCISA High Sc
Davis Playing in A&M

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: as of now, who is in the cb 2 deep for

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
Is Martin really that unimpressive?
No. His resume is really good. He has been limited by two hamstring injuries. I don't know why the other poster thinks he stinks so badly. Maybe his size. But Martin has the S&C program to put on some muscle in the off season. I think it is premature to write Martin off.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #22
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I thought Martin played safety in HS. I watched a lot of his videos and the guy loves to hit, but I'm not so sure of his cover skills.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #23
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Martin didn't travel with the team one time this past year. Was that due to injury? What does he have left 1 to play 1 or 2 to play 2?
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctiburon03 View Post
It's kinda scary that Martin may be a starter. I really think if we weren't so short on CB's, he would fit the bill as somewhere who helps "make the numbers work."
Please explain how you and others keep coming to this notion that Martin is not good enough to play here??

Just b/c it's Tony Morrell's opinion and then 50 people on here reiterate it DOES NOT mean it's valid.
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

This thread reads like something on Tigernet.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
exactly.....I don't to see him back next season.
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #27
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Rico and Jamari will be the starters IMO.

Who cracks the 2 deep could be either Groves, Martin, or 1 of the incoming freshmen.

I don't see Harris jr having an impact. DJ Smith could. Lammons or Green are immediately in the 2 deep if they sign
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #28
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

CockyCash: 500
JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

I'm excited to see what happens. Good odds that the top 4-5 will play between injuries and the coaches trying to find the right combination for the regular rotation.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

If your not in the top 10 in recruiting year in and year out, you'll face these problems.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #30
atlgamecockman
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2000
atlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talons

I think Rico McWilliams, if he rehabbed well enough from his previous injuries could be a stud corner.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
I'm excited to see what happens. Good odds that the top 4-5 will play between injuries and the coaches trying to find the right combination for the regular rotation.
We barely have 4 much less a top 4-5.

We need Lammons, smith and Green
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #32
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I thought Martin played safety in HS. I watched a lot of his videos and the guy loves to hit, but I'm not so sure of his cover skills.
Nope. He played corner and the local schools (Byrnes, Dorman, boiling springs ) threw away from him all year.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
If your not in the top 10 in recruiting year in and year out, you'll face these problems.
I don't think that's an accurate statement. Recruiting classes are ranked on a number of things, but are heavily impacted by the caliber or "stars" of a recruit - not necessarily the size of the class.

Auburn, Alabama, and Florida state are the ONLY 3 schools to be in the top 10 in recruiting since 2010.

So while recruiting may (or may not, someone would have to do intensive research) have a direct correlation with winning, it doesn't necessarily have a direct impact on depth and numbers.

This wouldn't be a huge issue if Ahmad transfered, and Vic stayed, or Vic left and Ahmad stayed. It's the fact that they both decided to leave that hurt.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #34
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Oh lord.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #35
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

Nm

Kenny Powers
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #36
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Oh lord.
Honestly, what is wrong with what I said? It wasn't even an attack on you. It was just an informing post about how teams who aren't in the top 10 recruiting yearly don't have this problem.

There are a lot of programs out there that fail to reach the top 10 more than once or twice a decade that have great seasons and depth. I can think of a few right now: TCU/Boise St didn't finish in the top 10 this decade at all. Stanford and Oregon reached the top 10 only once and twice respectively.

You think I'm an ass, and I get that. I admit, sometimes when you post ill-informed "facts", I enjoy proving you wrong. But sometimes, like just now (above), it was simply to inform you - and others.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
Championshipcock
Recruit

Male

Championshipcock has hatched from the shell

Its not the fault of our recruiting classes not being ranked in the top 10 for our current cb shortage. Rather over the last 3-4 years we stopped recruiting true corners and went to recruiting safety type players at corner. Example of this is Chaz Elders, who we recruited as a corner. Hope that trend has ended!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #38
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championshipcock View Post
Its not the fault of our recruiting classes not being ranked in the top 10 for our current cb shortage. Rather over the last 3-4 years we stopped recruiting true corners and went to recruiting safety type players at corner. Example of this is Chaz Elders, who we recruited as a corner. Hope that trend has ended!
A lot of people forget that Whammy has a philosophy. It expects his Dbs to be interchangible. That philosophy allows him to better disguise coverages. IOW, Whammy wants all DBs to play all DB positions. With this in mind, it is not surprising he is recruiting larger sized athletes like Elder and expects them to be capable of playing corner. Keep in mind we had a 200 lb corner, and a 6'1" corner as starters this year.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote