CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
El Cid Ranger
MountainCock
kingoftheroost
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
USCNowAndForever
I Bleed Garnet
Key for 2015 defense (1119)
Skai Moore out for U (951)
Women's Team Ranked (640)
Lebron makes Clevela (540)
Troubles in Tigertow (527)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (379)
Cockaboose Video (326)
TN game weather (315)
Who is your favorite (247)
Marvel releases movi (160)
Key for 2015 defense
Who is your favorite play
Uniforms for Tenn
TN game weather
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Name a Gamecock
We're going to the NCAA T
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
FSU vs. Louisville

Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material
Default PC sales down

I was going to buy another laptop for the wifey, until I experienced Windows 8, I wont buy another until they come up with something better, may have to become one of those Apple people, haha

Quote:
Personal computer sales sank even further during the holiday shopping season, capping the steepest annual decline in PC shipments since desktop and laptop machines began to appear on people's wish lists decades ago.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/...ntcmp=features
Old 01-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: PC sales down

I believe it has more to do with the popularity of tablets.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I believe it has more to do with the popularity of tablets.
it could be, but winders8 aint helping either
Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

What did you hate about Windows 8? Just curious bc I have been running it for almost a year with no issue. My wife and kids also run it with no issue. Just wondering what you hated about it.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfsu23 View Post
What did you hate about Windows 8? Just curious bc I have been running it for almost a year with no issue. My wife and kids also run it with no issue. Just wondering what you hated about it.
i have trouble moving around and finding stuff

you kinda have to move around the billboards

like, it seems there are 4 clicks just to power off

(i purchased a Dell for my kid early last year with windows 8)

i recently received a new work laptop, i know our IT guys wont touch it, we are still running some kind of XP professional

i have Vista on this one

Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Win 8 is great for tablets. I don't care for the metro screen on desktops though. It really caused corporate customers to hold off. Third party apps like StartX allowed you to have your familiar desktop back while keeping the under the hood improvements. Win 8.1 was a big step forward. The update to it coming in April should give a mature experience. I expect corporate to get on board then.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

You know you can still get windows 7 on a PC right? I just built a PC less than a year ago and I put 7 on it.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

Windows 8 got a lot of hate due to the fact that many people hate relearning how to do stuff, but it is a better OS. It's fast and stable.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Windows 8 is extremely annoying. I use that laptop as seldom as I possibly can.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
Windows 8 got a lot of hate due to the fact that many people hate relearning how to do stuff, but it is a better OS. It's fast and stable.
yep
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Windows 8 is extremely annoying. I use that laptop as seldom as I possibly can.
yep
Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Win 8 is great for tablets. I don't care for the metro screen on desktops though. It really caused corporate customers to hold off. Third party apps like StartX allowed you to have your familiar desktop back while keeping the under the hood improvements. Win 8.1 was a big step forward. The update to it coming in April should give a mature experience. I expect corporate to get on board then.

Is this what came out to get the old desktop back? because I was hearing Microsoft was also going to release an update to get the old desktop back.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
GoonSquad
Recruitnik

Male

CockyCash: 21400
GoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot materialGoonSquad is USC mascot material

I believe sales of PCs are down because more people are learning how much cheaper it is to build your own.
GoonSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

I personally find Windows 8 to be annoying on my laptop. It is a touch screen, and I almost never touch the screen, because I generally use keyboard shortcuts anyway.

While I'm sure Windows 8 is great (and completely necessary) for the Surface and Tablets, I find it annoying when I brush against my mouse and it cylces through apps.

I downloaded Classic Shell to give me feel of Windows 7.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonSquad View Post
I believe sales of PCs are down because more people are learning how much cheaper it is to build your own.
Not just cheaper, but better quality, depending on what you get of course.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Windows 8 is extremely annoying. If I had know what Windows 8 was, then I would not have bought this particular laptop. Having to relearn an operating system is ridiculous.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I think Windows 8 is the main reason.
Luckily I still have a laptop that runs Windows 7 (which I like).

I refuse to buy a Mac though...they are WAY overpriced in my opinion (though I use one at work).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
I hate it because it is meant for cell phones and tablets...but I don't want my computer to have the appearance of a tablet...I hate compartmentalized layouts...I like big, open layouts on my screen, and Windows 8 ain't it.

I'm sure the system works just fine, but the presentation and layout are just a pain in the ass.

Microsoft should've continued building off Windows 7, which worked in my opinion, but did have its gliches.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonSquad View Post
I'm leaning to do that myself next purchase.
Also, it may be cheaper to just build it and upgrade in the long run.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Is this what came out to get the old desktop back? because I was hearing Microsoft was also going to release an update to get the old desktop back.
Yes, that was 8.1.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote