CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
jrussjr
markp_vip
B-G
A. Pilgrim
GamecockSuperFan
Regalcock
l^l^lBGCock
thekob
Lonnie
Davis dinged up agai (3310)
Winston (3261)
New Photos by Travis (1989)
For the love of God! (1719)
SOS: No QB controve (1114)
Waldrop injured (1033)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (599)
Rabbit package? (536)
ESPN reporter adding (492)
Acock's SEC Wrap Up (473)
The SEC East schedule fro
ESPN reporter adding to t
Winston
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
Women of the SEC Ranked
Good crowd for volleyball
In light of our matchup w
Waldrop injured
Just read this.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #161
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: No More Excuses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaskids View Post
I will start this off by saying,I love Gamecock football and what Spurrier has done,but with that being said we can't keep living off same old same old.If you think about this year,we could have very easily been 12-0.We were in the Georgia game all the way and I don't even want to talk about Tennessee.We need to start playing 60 minutes each and every game and not take plays off.I have been saying that all year.That is we have had some games that were closer than they should have been.We need our team to have the killer instinct.Put the other team away as soon as possible and we don't do that.We let teams hang around in games and one fluke play can cost us.This I put on the coaching staff.We need to drill this into the players starting with spring practice.In closing for all you that are happy with the status quo.Just remember the one loss in Tennessee cost us a trip to the SEC championship and a BCS bowl game.Let's start shooting for perfect seasons and not 11 win seasons.That's how you get championships.Go Gamecocks!
We also could have VERY easily ended up 5-7 with losses to UCF, UK,
Missouri, Vanderbilt and Florida. We had a defense with basically ALL
Freshmen Linebackers and a two first year starters in the secondary.
We had a below average kickoff, and Kick / Punt return team that had
just lost players the year before that had us ranked among the best at
those areas in the country. We had an new starting RB, and two new
starters at WR on offense. This was the youngest team in Div 1A football
and yet STILL ended up as the 4th best team in the nation in spite of
its youth and inexperience.
Some people are looking at what we did this season as a major underachievement.
I however, see it as maybe Coach Spurrier's best coaching season in his
entire career at ANY program he's coached, and took what he had to
work with the top level in the nation when it was all said and done.
When this program COULD HAVE and maybe should have taken a back step
in our recent successful run, it just completed its most successful season
in the history of the program. I'm a realist when it comes to the football
team, and when there is need for change or improvements, I'll be vocal
about it, However, I refuse to join the group that feels we didn't get it
done or need to do better, when there has been so much better done
the past three years, and still better to come. ... I refuse to make a
mud hole out of the advancements this program has shown, and then
wallow in it.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #162
papaskids
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
papaskids has hatched from the shell

Sorry Spurticus but I hear excuses or looking at what a poor season we could of had because of the new players.In my humble opinion this is why we don't take the next step.We find some reason or excuse why we are lucky to be where we are.Yes we have come a long way over the years and I guess some people are happy with that.I just think you have to keep aiming higher than the last season and don't stand for excuses.Four of those five teams you said we could have lost to was for exactly the reasons I stated.We were a better team but we took plays off and left those teams in the game.I will grant you that we were lucky to beat Missouri but that to me just proves that we were the better team.We played with heart and never gave up on winning the game.We kept fighting back every time.This is what we need each and every game next year.I for one think we can play with anyone in the SEC because we are that good.We just have to want it every game.Like the thread says....NO MORE EXCUSES----JUST WIN BABY!!!
papaskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #163
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

We ended up #4. Highest finish ever. Never reached that height before. Great job SOS!

I am not buying this thread.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #164
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
The Gamecocks beat a bunch of BCS teams. They would have probably beaten Auburn with ease. Auburn barely beat Georgia and Alabama at home. South Carolina, at the end of the season, was better than both. On a neutral field, I like the Gamecocks to win that one. For that matter, I suspect South Carolina would likely have beaten FSU as well.

Sorry, but SC would not be able to stop Auburn's rush offense.

Last edited by Thenardier; 01-11-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #165
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
In my humble opinion this is why we don't take the next step.We find some reason or excuse why we are lucky to be where we are.
Who is "we"? You on the team? You there when the team sets their goals for the year? You hear the team making excuses? Steve Spurrier?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #166
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Might could have slowed 'em down enough to have a chance. We do pretty good at making adjustments.
Have to believe we'd have done better than Mizzou.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #167
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

You set high goals which are unrealistic with such a young team, it would be very easy for them to go into the tank the first time they face any adversity.
Instead, you set a high goal that you believe is the most realistic under the current conditions, and as you meet them, and as the team matures and grows, you can add to them. This keeps the team motivated and enthused.

It is almost impossible for any team to go through any season without playing one or two below a certain level of expectation. Does anyone really think this team should have beaten everyone on our schedule by 17 points or more? That is dreaming on the edge of lunacy.

We are not a program like Alabama that recruit 5 star kid after 5 star kid and the second team talent they put on the field is almost as good as the first. I don't believe we will ever recruit such a level and volume of players because there are only so many "best players in the nation" to go around. Even Bama struggles each season. We finished higher than them. Guess Nick is living on borrowed time.

What we did this season was almost Indiana Jones, cliffhanger, escape from an impossible series of dangerous episodes, and walk off with a great ending.

Clempson barely beat UGA at night in Clempson. This was after UGA's top RB was injured in the 1st Quarter and did not play, again. We lost to UGA, in Athens, with them back to full strength and before they lost so many kids to injuries for long stretches of the season. They were a far different team. We did not play poorly there. We were beaten by a very good team. This is a team where most of our games are very close affairs and if not for some very wild plays two years ago, would have lost there in 2011.

Our only subpar game was against UT and even there we lost Shaw to injury and it took a miracle catch, late in the game, by a well covered UT receiver to allow them to kick a FG to win. One clunker out of 13. Some games ended up closer, but our, yes, young team had big leads which slipped, but they had to learn how to put other teams away. They learned, too. Part of the maturity process.

Yeah, we can be disappointed we lost those games. I was disappointed when we lost every game in 2000, but I never saw a team lose so many players to injury on the OL, to where we started putting reserve DL who seldom played and never played OL in their careers to those positions so we could line up enough kids to play. Three or four practices for them to often play the next entire game. Crazy. We had no realistic chance to win those games, but still came close two times. They played their hearts out and because of those things, they are one of my favorite squads. Silly me. I now realize there are no such things as setbacks or excuses and those guys should have won the SEC.

This is getting to be like beat a dead horse with a stick. I can imagine how much fun this place is going to get whenever we really do have an eventual less than stellar season. I better stock up on torches, pitchforks, and nooses.

Last edited by brat; 01-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.
brat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #168
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Expectations, Standards, and Goals are all different in their own way. So you all can laugh, point fingers, and joke about a single fans expectations for the future of this program. You can even use the "history" of this program as a shield and sword for your arguments - but that changes nothing.

If you look at this past team you can't tell me that, on any given day, we couldn't beat Georgia and Tennessee. If you can, then you are lying to yourself. We lost on those days. Go back and take a sneak peak of the boards on those days and get a sense of how Gamecocks felt. I can already tell you what it was: disappointment. Not disappointment in the team, but in the fact that we lost a game that we could've won. And not could've in a sense like it was a game we shouldn't have been in but had a chance. I'm saying could've like we were a well prepared and coached team with talent that could've competed with those two teams any day of the week.

So while you look at someone who expects to be in the running for a SEC and National Championship in the future and mock them - understand that our history will never change, ever. Understand that we were 13 total points away from doing it this year. Understand that we were 1 amazing throw/catch from competing for another SEC championship this year.

No one is saying that Gamecock fans everywhere should expect a National Title any time soon. I'm simply saying that the days of losing games that we shouldn't lose will get very old the more and more it happens when our teams are getting better and better.

If you disagree, that's fine. I'm not forcing you to agree or raise your bar. I'm simply stating where my bar is going to be at in the future. And while our bar may be set at different levels - I can tell you that our views on successful seasons may be slightly different, but for the most part very similar.

I don't know where this topic got off on the wrong foot, or why, but in the end our history isn't going anywhere. So everyone should stop using it as a sword or shield, or reason to be afraid of success. Because that's what it seems like. People afraid to want more than 11-2 because they are content with 11-2.

11 wins is tremendous. A great accomplishment and something that is hard to come by in College Football, especially three years in a row. But just because it is such a great accomplishment doesn't mean it's wrong to be upset that we lost to Tennessee, or Georgia. And I mean all of this in the most sincere way possible. I'm not trying to be a dick or ass.
Quote:
I will start this off by saying,I love Gamecock football and what Spurrier has done,but with that being said we can't keep living off same old same old.If you think about this year,we could have very easily been 12-0.We were in the Georgia game all the way and I don't even want to talk about Tennessee.We need to start playing 60 minutes each and every game and not take plays off.I have been saying that all year.That is we have had some games that were closer than they should have been.We need our team to have the killer instinct.Put the other team away as soon as possible and we don't do that.We let teams hang around in games and one fluke play can cost us.This I put on the coaching staff.We need to drill this into the players starting with spring practice.In closing for all you that are happy with the status quo.Just remember the one loss in Tennessee cost us a trip to the SEC championship and a BCS bowl game.Let's start shooting for perfect seasons and not 11 win seasons.That's how you get championships.Go Gamecocks!
Quote:
Sorry Spurticus but I hear excuses or looking at what a poor season we could of had because of the new players.In my humble opinion this is why we don't take the next step.We find some reason or excuse why we are lucky to be where we are.Yes we have come a long way over the years and I guess some people are happy with that.I just think you have to keep aiming higher than the last season and don't stand for excuses.Four of those five teams you said we could have lost to was for exactly the reasons I stated.We were a better team but we took plays off and left those teams in the game.I will grant you that we were lucky to beat Missouri but that to me just proves that we were the better team.We played with heart and never gave up on winning the game.We kept fighting back every time.This is what we need each and every game next year.I for one think we can play with anyone in the SEC because we are that good.We just have to want it every game.Like the thread says....NO MORE EXCUSES----JUST WIN BABY!!!

I am all ears for suggestions for improvement...I hear jingoistic phrases such as "strive for excellence" but what does that actually mean?

What does South Carolina need to do differently to achieve the perfect season we ALL want?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #169
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
They would have stopped it like a brick wall. Carolina was second in the SEC in rush defense.

And on top of that, Spurrier, Shaw and the receiving corp would have been all over and through that leaky seive Auburn calls a secondary.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #170
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
They would have stopped it like a brick wall. Carolina was second in the SEC in rush defense.

And on top of that, Spurrier, Shaw and the receiving corp would have been all over and through that leaky seive Auburn calls a secondary.
*facepalm

Alabama had the SEC's #1 rush defense and Auburn put 300 yards on them, Mizzou had the #2 rush defense in the SEC and Auburn put 545 yards on them. They put over 200 yards on the #1 rush defense in the country. I'm sorry to burst your delusion, but Auburn would have ran all over SC's defense, especially considering they have always been awful against Auburn's style of offense, especially when they play Auburn.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #171
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I am all ears for suggestions for improvement...I hear jingoistic phrases such as "strive for excellence" but what does that actually mean?

What does South Carolina need to do differently to achieve the perfect season we ALL want?
There is nothing we as individual fans can do to help the team. I don't think (I admit I didn't read the other two quoted post) anyone is saying there needs to be a change in the program. My entire post is about a fans perspective.

Why are people afraid to set the bar at perfection? It's not necessarily a "failure" if you don't reach it and still have a great season. And it's not necessarily a "success" if you reach the bar when you set it at 8 wins.

I'm just curious as to when Gamecock fans are going to raise the bar. That's all. You can't say you will be happy with 11-2 as the best ever. You can't because that's a lie. Yes, 11-2 is a great season. But you wouldn't willingly accept never over-coming 11-2. You'd cheer like hell in hopes that your team could over come it, right? So why is the bar 10 wins? Why can't it be...12 wins?

If the bar was 12 wins this past season, I would still consider our season a success. We lost a tough road game at Georgia, and a only one game we shouldn't have loss at all. Whats wrong with raising the bar? That's what we've been doing for the past 5 years, right? Raising the bar? Why is everyone content with just not raising it anymore?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #172
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

The last time Auburn was at our place we stopped their Run Game but their horse shoe showed up 1:30 to go in the game . And again when we went out of bounds with a few seconds on the clock that got run off and then again a pass 39yd pass in fg range with a couple seconds left but the clock run on..
Until Auburn wore down our D we had held them to 9 points . The year before we were a seasoned QB away from beating them at their place ..
I don't buy that BS that Auburn would have beat us this year simply by showing up !!!
Take-a-Knee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #173
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
The last time Auburn was at our place we stopped their Run Game but their horse shoe showed up 1:30 to go in the game . And again when we went out of bounds with a few seconds on the clock that got run off and then again a pass 39yd pass in fg range with a couple seconds left but the clock run on..
Until Auburn wore down our D we had held them to 9 points . The year before we were a seasoned QB away from beating them at their place ..
I don't buy that BS that Auburn would have beat us this year simply by showing up !!!
246 yards isn't exactly stopping the run, and we weren't very good that year.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #174
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

We did give up 293 yards against Wisconsin on the ground.
I think they would have had a lot of yards against us, but we would have had a lot against them
Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #175
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
We did give up 293 yards against Wisconsin on the ground.
I think they would have had a lot of yards against us, but we would have had a lot against them
Auburn's redzone defense would come in to play there.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #176
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Yeah , I saw it against Fla st
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #177
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

Wisconsin returns a kick or we hold them to 17
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #178
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Wisconsin returns a kick or we hold them to 17
What does that have to do with Rushing yards?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #179
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Yeah , I saw it against Fla st
Works pretty good when Bamas kicks 4 FGs and it only nets Auburn 6 points.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #180
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Auburn's redzone defense would come in to play there.
The same one that held UGA to 38 pts?
Every team presents a different match up....no guarantee AU would roll the Gamecocks.