CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Acockolypse Now
MEL
Spurticus
auslander
Gamecocks1137
sanford
The Yancey
spareparts
MWard
Texags (1915)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1756)
Ace suspended 4 game (1436)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1356)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1176)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1105)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Comporium (736)
watching the Alabama (342)
Jake Coker (284)
Texags
Official SEC Network and
Another A&M aggie off
Predict Clemson 2014
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
2015 - Zack Bailey
Georgia DE Jonathan Taylo
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Gamecock Showcase Attende
2015 - Traveon Samuel

Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jamari Smith back to CB

Sorry, got Williams and Smith crossed with one another.

Oh, well.

That being said, this will hurt us on offense as we need backup depth if we have the same kind of injuries as we have had for the last three years. The greater need is clearly cornerback, though, so I am excited for Jamari.

Playing a full season in the SEC is brutal and few teams seem to be able to run it unscathed. It seems that the teams that win the most games are the ones that suffer the least number of injuries.

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 01-11-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Since Williams seems like he's the real deal, this is probably a smart move.

I just think a lot of things depend on whether or not Mike Davis can get back to being 100% and not hiding any injuries. He was damaged goods for a number of games and I don't know that we truly know the full extent of his injuries.

Wilds is a beast who will eventually be playing on Sundays, but he lost a LOT of time over two years.

I am not yet sold on Carson. His priority was baseball and that didn't work out... He is a nice workman-like running back but he hasn't been able to break free of the grasp of the tacklers the way I would have expected. Consequently, we haven't really seen any benefit of his speed. He seems to be built like a fireplug but I'm not seeing where his strength is making him a dangerous runner.

Williams surprised me with some of his moves this year. I think he may be better than I was expecting and I was expecting a lot based on all the accolades from the coaches and scouts. He somewhat reminds me of Duane Thomas of the Dallas Cowboys (way, way back when) with his fluid moves and power... It's a rare combination.

I'm just not sold that we are as deep as we think we are at running back, but we need cornerbacks so I agree with the move (if we make it).
Williams didn't redshirt?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #23
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1782750
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Williams didn't redshirt?
He did. Idk what that guy's talking about.
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #24
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Sorry, got Williams and Smith crossed with one another.

Oh, well.

That being said, this will hurt us on offense as we need backup depth if we have the same kind of injuries as we have had for the last three years. The greater need is clearly cornerback, though, so I am excited for Jamari.

Playing a full season in the SEC is brutal and few teams seem to be able to run it unscathed. It seems that the teams that win the most games are the ones that suffer the least number of injuries.
This is why I am starting to worry a bit more and more for our RBs. Looks like we may have whiffed all together at RB this recruiting cycle, so it seems possible that Jamari moves to CB, Carson sticks with baseball, and we get stuck with only three scholarship running backs
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #25
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

So if we get Lammons & Green, and since we missed out on Scott, would Jamari stay at RB for now?
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
So if we get Lammons & Green, and since we missed out on Scott, would Jamari stay at RB for now?
Good question. I would hope that is the case.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #27
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
If those young guys show they are ready I would bet Smith will red shirt and go back to RB.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #28
GarnetnBad
Remember The Fade!

Male

GarnetnBad has hatched from the shell

I like Jamari back at CB with Davis, Wilds, and Williams handling the depth of the RB carries. It's a nice tandem. It's nothing but a good thing that Jamari can play both positions if needed.

"I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars!"

-P.W. Herman
GarnetnBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #29
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Jamari may be good enough he and Rico can start and allow DJ Smith time to grow and be a nickle back. Also will need Ali Groves to step up, and Ronnie Martin.

We have bodies, just next to no experience.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I think Jamari moves to DB this year and back to RB in 2015.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I hope he busts his butt training and working. He's already behind the 8-ball having not worked-out at corner all fall. Or has he been working there too?
That's a very good question. It was my impression that the DBs, WRs, and RBs work out together in that they have the similar athlete skills. However, if Connolly has them on different workout regimes--which I am sure he does--it would be very interesting to learn how they differ.

For example, I suspect the DBs need more quick twitch acceleration, cutting and balance, and of course more ball skills with how they use their hands in space and in conflict. Some of those are similar needs for RBs, but maybe they have differing drills and obviously the time is a factor that would be adjusted.

As for Smith, if he can land a starting spot on the defense, he will get lots more playing time. If I were him, I would rather have more time in the game. He has a legitimate shot at winning the starting CB spot. He will have to compete, but he still has as good a shot at CB as anywhere. From there, a starting SEC CB playing on Whammy's defense can pretty much write his ticket to the NFL.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #32
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
I think Jamari moves to DB this year and back to RB in 2015.
We'll get more RBs. But if we lose Wilds or carson after this year, we should move Walton to RB if he is not starting at LB.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

do we have enough depth at running back for this to happen? Davis, Wilds, Carson, Williams...
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #34
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
do we have enough depth at running back for this to happen? Davis, Wilds, Carson, Williams...
And walk-ons
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #35
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't think the smith and coaches will stick with this unless he can flat out play at corner in the spring. He already showed enough in live game action such that spurrier knows who he is. Also, I think it lends credence to the reports that the kid from philly is a player.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #36
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis, Wilds, Carson, and Williams all get work at RB, with some of it situational. We might see Joe Blue working out at TB - with the idea of playing in '15 if we lose both Wilds and Davis. If they use him on ST and burn the redshirt, he could be a short yardage back this year if he shows the right stuff. It's possible he and Crosby at Hback/TE could be in the backfield together later on. If he's not effective or needed at RB, he would be a candidate for a tough, quick, MLB.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote