CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
garnet_black215
Regalcock
GamecockSuperFan
CockyRyan
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
MWard
nodnahs
Clemson Recruiting.. (3089)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1535)
Ranking the Opposing (1373)
Not a Rival.. (1041)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1020)
Gamecock Coaches as (930)
NCAA Football 15 (561)
Hello Gamecocks! (476)
Marching band (413)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (287)
Clemson Recruiting...how
Galaxy vs Seatle
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Marching band
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Hello Gamecocks!
John Rocker at rock botto
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
****Official 2014 Gamecoc

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #181
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Re: No More Excuses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
The same one that held UGA to 38 pts?
Every team presents a different match up....no guarantee AU would roll the Gamecocks.
Tell that to those whining that if SC had beaten UTenn that they would have beaten Auburn AND FSU.

And hey, UGA scored 41 on SC. AU fell asleep in the 4th.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #182
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Tell that to those whining that if SC had beaten UTenn that they would have beaten Auburn AND FSU.
You can tell it to them...
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #183
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

UT deserved to win at UGA more than Auburn did
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #184
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
UT deserved to win at UGA more than Auburn did
Thanks for random factoid, though UT played UGA at home.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #185
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

So you agree
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #186
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
So you agree
Nope
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #187
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Alright. I'll answer.

I will never expect a perfect season. I can hope and wish for one and see we have enough talent to where if everything goes perfectly and we get lucky, it could happen.

All I expect is that the coaches and players try as hard as they can, are well coached, and don't quit. I don't care if we are losing 40-0, I expect the kids to keep playing hard, even if they know they can't win. Call it self respect, if you will. Oh, I also expect our program to be run honestly, too.

I read on one of the Bama boards today about a thread where many of their fans re self admitted brats and spoiled rotten with success. One poster even thought they have underperformed the last few years and lucked into their MNC titles.

The day we get so delusional and irrational around here is the day I will just stop following sports. Who the hell can find enjoyment with a never ending all or nothing attitude? I know I am of a different generation and often have old fashioned views in many areas, but this smacks of "entitlement" and that is and has been a disgusting and destructive element in our society. All we are entitled to is savoring every win we get and appreciating anything you get as well earned.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #188
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Alright. I'll answer.

I will never expect a perfect season. I can hope and wish for one and see we have enough talent to where if everything goes perfectly and we get lucky, it could happen.

All I expect is that the coaches and players try as hard as they can, are well coached, and don't quit. I don't care if we are losing 40-0, I expect the kids to keep playing hard, even if they know they can't win. Call it self respect, if you will. Oh, I also expect our program to be run honestly, too.

I read on one of the Bama boards today about a thread where many of their fans re self admitted brats and spoiled rotten with success. One poster even thought they have underperformed the last few years and lucked into their MNC titles.

The day we get so delusional and irrational around here is the day I will just stop following sports. Who the hell can find enjoyment with a never ending all or nothing attitude? I know I am of a different generation and often have old fashioned views in many areas, but this smacks of "entitlement" and that is and has been a disgusting and destructive element in our society. All we are entitled to is savoring every win we get and appreciating anything you get as well earned.
Well said sir, points
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #189
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
There is nothing we as individual fans can do to help the team. I don't think (I admit I didn't read the other two quoted post) anyone is saying there needs to be a change in the program. My entire post is about a fans perspective.

Why are people afraid to set the bar at perfection? It's not necessarily a "failure" if you don't reach it and still have a great season. And it's not necessarily a "success" if you reach the bar when you set it at 8 wins.

I'm just curious as to when Gamecock fans are going to raise the bar. That's all. You can't say you will be happy with 11-2 as the best ever. You can't because that's a lie. Yes, 11-2 is a great season. But you wouldn't willingly accept never over-coming 11-2. You'd cheer like hell in hopes that your team could over come it, right? So why is the bar 10 wins? Why can't it be...12 wins?

If the bar was 12 wins this past season, I would still consider our season a success. We lost a tough road game at Georgia, and a only one game we shouldn't have loss at all. Whats wrong with raising the bar? That's what we've been doing for the past 5 years, right? Raising the bar? Why is everyone content with just not raising it anymore?

You know, reading your post just made me realize something.

Maybe those people who are impatient at this time with where the program CURRENTLY IS feel that this will be the best CAROLINA WILL EVER BE.

I guess my viewpoint that I hope, wish and pray for more but enjoy and appreciate the SUM OF THE PRESENT comes from my firm belief that we will get there. We will continue to improve and will continue to accomplish more and more.

Why do I believe this?

The answer is quite simple...South Carolina continues to improve as a program. The Gamecocks have not hit their ceiling and have not plateaued.

I do not mean improve in simple win-loss average or competitiveness either, although USC has certainly done that.

Everything and everyone in this program has been upgraded toward building a successful program that is sustainable and grooming these young men to be the best athletes and also the best people they can be.

So I am not banging my head against a wall and shouting about missed oppurtunities, I don't like that the good guys lost to UGA and UT this year and I will congratulate the team on dealing with youth and inexperience and still bouncing back and showing grit throughout the year.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #190
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

re: Auburn vs South Carolina subtopic

It would be interesting to see Ellis Johnson's Defense versus Steve Spurrier's Offense. Steve probably knows Ellis inside and out and the same could probably be said of Ellis on Spurrier. I would like to see that battle of wits
Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #191
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
You know, reading your post just made me realize something.

Maybe those people who are impatient at this time with where the program CURRENTLY IS feel that this will be the best CAROLINA WILL EVER BE.

I guess my viewpoint that I hope, wish and pray for more but enjoy and appreciate the SUM OF THE PRESENT comes from my firm belief that we will get there. We will continue to improve and will continue to accomplish more and more.

Why do I believe this?

The answer is quite simple...South Carolina continues to improve as a program. The Gamecocks have not hit their ceiling and have not plateaued.

I do not mean improve in simple win-loss average or competitiveness either, although USC has certainly done that.

Everything and everyone in this program has been upgraded toward building a successful program that is sustainable and grooming these young men to be the best athletes and also the best people they can be.

So I am not banging my head against a wall and shouting about missed oppurtunities, I don't like that the good guys lost to UGA and UT this year and I will congratulate the team on dealing with youth and inexperience and still bouncing back and showing grit throughout the year.
I agree 100% with the bold (literally) statement. It seems that those so eager to see improvement on a yearly basis must be in fear that we're never going to overcome a 11-2 season, and that this is the peak. I also agree that we've not yet hit our peak, and we have not plateaued.

I'm game for steady progress, which is why I've been saying "5, 10, hell 20 years down the road". Most people haven't seemed to grasp that part of pretty much all my post in this thread.

I'm glad you at least kind of see where I'm coming from. Maybe since you do, others will since you're a respected poster on this board and I'm not (for reasons like...being an ass or to upfront without sugar-coating things).
Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #192
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
re: Auburn vs South Carolina subtopic

It would be interesting to see Ellis Johnson's Defense versus Steve Spurrier's Offense. Steve probably knows Ellis inside and out and the same could probably be said of Ellis on Spurrier. I would like to see that battle of wits
We will this year. I want to say that it's in October.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #193
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I agree 100% with the bold (literally) statement. It seems that those so eager to see improvement on a yearly basis must be in fear that we're never going to overcome a 11-2 season, and that this is the peak. I also agree that we've not yet hit our peak, and we have not plateaued.

I'm game for steady progress, which is why I've been saying "5, 10, hell 20 years down the road". Most people haven't seemed to grasp that part of pretty much all my post in this thread.

I'm glad you at least kind of see where I'm coming from. Maybe since you do, others will since you're a respected poster on this board and I'm not (for reasons like...being an ass or to upfront without sugar-coating things).
Spurrier is not going to be doing this very much longer and when he goes so does the glorious Capital One bowl years.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #194
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
Can our excuse be that the 2014 schedule is the easiest we have had in a while?
FIFY.

First schedule we've had since 1986 that doesn't feature consecutive road games.

First three games at home against two quarterbacks making their first SEC road starts. The other team is ECU which we should be heavily favored.

Vandy is the first road game and they have a new head coach.

Missouri will be good, but they lose a lot and it's at home.

Auburn is our toughest game next year and it's not until the last week of October.

Schedule can't be an excuse for next year.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #195
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
We will this year. I want to say that it's in October.
The biggest problem would've been our defense and it's signals. Ellis Johnson implemented the 4-2-5 defense here, and our signals and calls haven't changed much since he left. They are some slight differences, but most of it is still intact.

Meaning...Ellis Johnson would pretty much know what defense we were running at all time. The question would remain if he could get the information to the OC/HC in time to make adjustments each play.

That was a story during the NC too. Florida St coach that went to Auburn was telling Auburn defenders what play was coming. That's why Auburn stopped Florida St. so much in the first half. Second half they made adjustments and ran up and down field (compared to the first half) on Auburn.

Can't blame him really. Just using his resources. Even if it is frowned upon. I would expect any of our coaches to do the same when a NC is on the line.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #196
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Spurrier is not going to be doing this very much longer and when he goes so does the glorious Capital One bowl years.
So, you think that we've reached our peak with Spurrier, and that when he leaves we will never be able to reach the level of success that he brought? I'm just trying to see if I got this correct before I respond.

If that's what you believe that is fine, I'm just honestly curious.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #197
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post

I have heard this idea echoed by a lot of Gamecock fans.

It is the same statement (IMHO) as, "Spurrier is a legend and a genius college football mind. If he cannot get South Carolina to the SEC Championship and National Title then no one will."

I do not believe those statements to be true.

What I do believe is that the state of the program, the culture of the program and the level of commitment from players and the administration was not where it needs to be to get to excellence in the 100+ years of Gamecock football before Spurrier arrived.

The Gamecock football program was a very poorly built structure that many could look at and wonder why it had not already collapsed onto itself. Dr. Andrew Sorenson, Mike McGee and Steve Spurrier flipped this house and gave it curb appeal.

The program now has the tools, resources and commitment it needs to compete nationally. The post-Spurrier hire will be a very momentous one and very much the second most important football coaching change in Gamecock program history (whether Spurrier wins the big ones here or not). But Spurrier and his staff and the AD (Tanner) will hand over a program that has the tools needed.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #198
GamecockChuck
Walk On

Male

GamecockChuck has hatched from the shell

It's 1 thing to lose, but another thing to beat ourselves. I agree that although we are having the most success ever, we are not living up to our potential.
The Tenn loss was embarrassing and it's a game we should have won.

Maybe this will be the year where we don't beat ourselves. If we go the whole season without beating ourselves then I think we can finish the regular season with 1 loss and go undefeated in the East!
GamecockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote